New River newbie

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
I'll be leaving next Thursday for a 3 night stay on the new River about 1/2 a mile north of where the south and north fork join. Our cabin is literally river front. I am going to bring my fishing "kayak", a Beavertail stealth 1200 with 30lb trolling motor and paddle of course. I think the plan is to mainly trailer the kayaks up stream about 4 river miles and drift back to the cabin with other family members for relaxation but I want to spend an early morning or two fishing solo. Any tips on fishing that portion of the river? Those mornings I plan to just put in at the cabin river front and use the trolling motor to get around. Will a 30lb tm be enough to push me up the New? I'm not targeting anything specific so what lures should I bring?I've never fished west of the Tar river so any help would be appreciated.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they love a ned rig with a half zinkerz on a 1/16th jig head. a four inch senko rigged wacky. Green pumpkin works fine.
small topwaters. for the smallies.
some of those pools on the new have muskies ! we were piddling with the small stuff and floated past folks fishing for the real fish.
Good Luck. The New is one of the few spots I have ever fished where I was happy just being there. It is a pretty place to me.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
All the above work and I will add another one. If you can find any of the Norman crappie crankbaits they work very well in the New River for smallies and I’ve never used them but I would say the small rebel crankbaits would also work.

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
I've tried to find the answer on NCW but haven't had any luck. I do not plan to target trout, but would I need a trout stamp just in case?