New rifle recommendation

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Mom called me today and said she is wanting to get a new rifle as the one she has is over 20 years old. Although I know there is nothing at all wrong with her current rifle, I'm not gonna persuade her to not buy a new one either. I'm a very loyal Tikka owner so my first recommendation was get a Tikka T3 but I figured I'd ask on here and see what you guys recommend as well. I've been dabbling in the custom and semi-custom builds a lot lately and havent kept up with new production rifles.

She is wanting to keep it under $1000, wants something light weight, and something in a camo stock. Shes debating between a 308 and a 6.5CM. I personally told her to stick with the 308 as she has two other guns (AR-10 and her old deer rifle) that are 308 so she can stick with the same ammo.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My next factory rifle is likely to be a Kimber Mountain Ascent, but as it’s out of the price range you mentioned, I’d recommend the Kimber Hunter, except that I’m not sure there is a camo stock option.

Those are pretty much my only recommendations for a new hunting rifle right now. Everything else I would be interested in would be used.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
I recommend against the kimber I have had three of them and none of them would shoot better than 8” dinner plates with a fortune in brand name ammo spent trying to get them to shoot.
They build a 45 but pass on their rifles!!!!

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I recommend against the kimber I have had three of them and none of them would shoot better than 8” dinner plates with a fortune in brand name ammo spent trying to get them to shoot.

I've personally always heard mixed reviews on the Kimber's. Based on reviews, it's hit or miss on if you get one that shoots well.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
She will do very well to pick a browning xbolt in 308. I don’t know about the composite stock as I have a wood Monte Carlo but it is light and handles recoil very well in 30-06.

It should be below the price point in a normal year but I don’t know how available they are now.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Vanguard Backcountry may fit the bill. I do not have one, yet, but I love my Vanguard ‘06.
d4590ab90188c1b58a1401abbae55d81.jpg

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've personally always heard mixed reviews on the Kimber's. Based on reviews, it's hit or miss on if you get one that shoots well.
I own 2, and my Dad owns another 5. I’ve yet to see one that wouldn’t shoot less than 1” 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Do they like some ammo better than others, sure. But even ammo they “didn’t like” shot sub 2” groups at 100 yards.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You sure it ain’t the nut behind the trigger?

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a T3X Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor, back in the Spring. Get her one, and, unless she has a particular camo pattern in mind, paint the stock. Seen some nice looking paint jobs, on the Creedmoor forum.

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Sako A7. Get the varsity instead of JV. Have both and Tikka us a great rifle with that smooth action. Big brother is even better

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been oogling a Fierce fury in 6.5 PRC but it’s a little out of the budget. It’s a sako 85 clone with a .5 moa guarantee.

If I was looking at a sub $1000 rifle without a doubt it would be a T3. Every person I’ve ever spoken to that owns one says they shoot and the action is smooth. For caliber I’d get whatever you have ammo for now, your not finding much else!

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A different option, a Browning BLR. I had one in 270 that shot factory Remington 130 into 1/2". Need my tail kicked for selling it.

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a Ruger M77 mint condition in .358 Winchester I would sell her for $995. Can provide ammo too, but not included in that price. Your super cool Mom would then also have a super cool rifle!!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
As much of a Remington fan I was if I were to buy a new rifle tomorrow it would be a Tikka.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

C120

Six Pointer
I would highly recommend the Tikla T3 or T3x. I like the Forest model. My best shooter is my .25-06 followed by my .260 (my favorite) but I would recomment the 7mm-08. I sure wouldn't limit it to
308 because that's what she hss. Nothing wrong with .308 but don't limit it because of ammo on hand.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
I have a Ruger M77 mint condition in .358 Winchester I would sell her for $995. Can provide ammo too, but not included in that price. Your super cool Mom would then also have a super cool rifle!!
And a bruised shoilder,,,,,its for a woman

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
I bought my wife a Browning Hell's Canyon 6.5 this year and it is a couple hundred dollars above the price range, but it fits the bill for everything else. I really like it so far and the wife loves it.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Winchester Model 70....I got one in stainless 308 that has the older trigger and it shoots sub MOA groups with handloads or factory. Really likes the Barnes TTSX Also have a M70 in 243 . Can be had for around 1100 new I believe, but not in camo.....believe now Bell & Carson. Mine in 308 is black synth. Just have always been a M70 fan but others that have been mentioned are fine rifles.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Moving forward in time and her maybe needing lighter recoil, you may wanna look at something besides a .308.
As she gets older, she may not enjoy much if any recoil. I know a .308 ain't got much but, still.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
Recoil isint that bad until you shoot a light recoilimg rifle,,,they are great,,,in my experience it seems synthetic stocks are lighter but don't seem to kick as hard,maby the stock absorbed some energy or maby its all in my head

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Tikka T3X lite in 308. She already has ammo(a huge consideration in the gun world today). Reduced recoil loads can be found in several ammo brands. I have one and my son has one. Best rifles we have had. Those 2 have stuck around while a ton of other guns have gone down the road. That is saying something with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk