New Orleans for 3 -4 weeks

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Spent a few days there back in December while on a duck hunting trip. Be aware that they really like putting seasonings on their food, mostly some form of cajun seasoning crap. But after a day or two it makes ordering very easy as it all begins to taste the same. We hit some high end as well mom and pop joints and the only difference was the price. Sort of like ordering mexican or chinese. :D

But the duck hunting and fishing were awesome.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Wear a mask and get more jabs. Stay 6’ away from folks and wash your hands intensely. Look at people like dumb asses if they are not complying to your logic. Once you walk into somewhere. Remove mask and act normal.
seems to work best. Have fun and be safe. Don’t let omicron kill you. 😎

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Almost forgot, try some boudin (pronounced boo-Dan, they will correct you). Try some alligator.

I’ve know some guys to take guided fishing trips as well, but I have no experience with that.

"The Anglo-Norman word boudin meant 'sausage', 'blood sausage' or 'entrails' in general"

Ummm umm... good ol entrail sausage. I'd try it. Bet woodmoose, nccatfisher would, too. 👍

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Try it? I love boudin

Entrail in particular was my thinking..but I eat livers, gizzards, hearts, kidneys, so I think I would like boudin(probably love it), too...but when I see "entrails", I, for some reason envision a full lower g.i. tract. Lol

Edit: Sea and land oysters, too.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
"The Anglo-Norman word boudin meant 'sausage', 'blood sausage' or 'entrails' in general"

Ummm umm... good ol entrail sausage. I'd try it. Bet woodmoose, nccatfisher would, too. 👍

I've got a buddy that owns an aviation business. He finds any reason he can "cough, cough training flights" to fly down and buy Boudin.

I've had NOLA Boudin about as fresh as you can get it in NC, and it's one of the best things I've ever had straight off the grill.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Don't stop by Southern Tide Kennels in Slidell, unless you want to buy one of the best trained bird dogs in the country.

If you do, then stop by. Ricky is a great guy.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hope the skank that slapped Johnny isn't there again.
Wear a mask and get more jabs. Stay 6’ away from folks and wash your hands intensely. Look at people like dumb asses if they are not complying to your logic. Once you walk into somewhere. Remove mask and act normal.
seems to work best. Have fun and be safe. Don’t let omicron kill you. 😎
We were told they were strict about all the”SAFETY” precautions on Bourbon St….. went into multiple bars…. No mask and nobody asked about vaccinations…..walked into restaurant for dinner…. No dumbass put it on then take it off rule like NC

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went to Bourbon St Saturday night….. not too crowded, but it’s definitely a 20 something crowd…. Better suited for a day trip for old farts…. Definitely some freak shows walking around…… honestly…. Been there….done that….. glad I didn’t plan a vacation for it, but I will slide down and check out some of the historical stuff….wish we had time off for fishing and hunting…..maybe another time!

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Went to Bourbon St Saturday night….. not too crowded, but it’s definitely a 20 something crowd…. Better suited for a day trip for old farts…. Definitely some freak shows walking around…… honestly…. Been there….done that….. glad I didn’t plan a vacation for it, but I will slide down and check out some of the historical stuff….wish we had time off for fishing and hunting…..maybe another time!
Try Frenchmen Street. Lots of great live music.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Hope the skank that slapped Johnny isn't there again.
Yeah, she slapped Johnny in the face ! 🤣

There was one restaraunt. Two Sisters (or Three Sisters) it was in the Quarter, off Bourbon st a ways. Even back in the day we were told not to be in there after dark. They had great food. But that was '86. May not be there now.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I can think of a lot of places that smell way worse than New Orleans,,,,

but I'm not into those city scenes,,, pretty much boring,,, better cajun food west and north of there anyhow

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can think of a lot of places that smell way worse than New Orleans,,,,

but I'm not into those city scenes,,, pretty much boring,,, better cajun food west and north of there anyhow
I agree ! The food I found around Covington, Mandeville, Hammond ……local mom and pops is better and cheaper than all this high dollar city food….I will be honest….. I’m about done w the Cajun spice thing….. the flavors start to run together eventually……OMMV of course

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Left home Monday with 26 techs in tow for work in New Orleans…… last time I was in Louisiana was 7 days after Katrina hit…. Still bodies lying in streets covered with sheets at that point. Luckily they sent us back across the lake to work the Covington area on that trip! Went home 3 months later! This trip has us working right in the big city! Headed to Bourbon St tonight since it’s first weekend of Carnival! Anything in particular that’s on the top of your list to do while I am here?…. Other than beads and boobies that is…….
I really enjoyed GW Fins restaurant. Really good seafood. But make a note: you have to wear a collard shirt and I think they want to see a vax card now.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I really enjoyed GW Fins restaurant. Really good seafood. But make a note: you have to wear a collard shirt and I think they want to see a vax card now.

I don't care if they are serving prime rib and all you can eat crab legs for free ....that would be a big fat nope for me.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't care if they are serving prime rib and all you can eat crab legs for free ....that would be a big fat nope for me.
Me too….. ain’t pulled that card out for anyone since I got it…., don’t plan to start down here