New one showes up

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
was in there that morning but was running late, showed up 3 mornings in a row just before light

I have hunted bucks like that in the past. You need to figure out where he is going after daylight as hunting him where the camera is will only bump him out on your way in unless you are prepared to pull an all night sit on him. I would check the weather history on the days he was in there for wind direction and I'd bet you that deer is bedding within 400 yards of your camera somewhere upwind. If you have access from the other side I'd wait for similar weather conditions and slip in well before light on the upwind side of the camera within about 300 yards near the thickest bedding area you can find. You probably won't see him but that's my $0.02 :)

Disclaimer: I've yet to kill one of those bucks I've hunted but I have proved the theory with trail cameras.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I have hunted bucks like that in the past. You need to figure out where he is going after daylight as hunting him where the camera is will only bump him out on your way in unless you are prepared to pull an all night sit on him. I would check the weather history on the days he was in there for wind direction and I'd bet you that deer is bedding within 400 yards of your camera somewhere upwind. If you have access from the other side I'd wait for similar weather conditions and slip in well before light on the upwind side of the camera within about 300 yards near the thickest bedding area you can find. You probably won't see him but that's my $0.02 :)

Disclaimer: I've yet to kill one of those bucks I've hunted but I have proved the theory with trail cameras.
IT is almost impossible to approach There is really only one way into area he is in which is a old logging path used to get to the 2 small grown up fields with thick cover all around them he is coming in on a ground blind set up that runs a narrow strip of woods they use as a funnel to run between fields and bedding , i know it is a long shot been there and done that , can come in from bottom side and hunt bottom end of 1 of the bedding areas ,was in there this morning no luck ,thats why i love this sport so much trying to outsmart what i consider to be one of the smartest animals there is when it comes to self preservation.Thanks for the reply.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good gracious! That's what everyone is hoping for - that a deer like that will show up out of nowhere during the rut.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
dibaile, you got him on camera...are you hunting a stand near that camera? If you have a closed in stand that you hunting out of, heated and could stay all night, you might have a chance if he shows up at first light. Deer like that worth it if you pull that off. Need to make sure no scent coming out of that stand...every thing perfectly quiet, could get him. Deer like that late in the season tough to hunt.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Haven't had him on camera in 3 weeks , really believe he was dogging a couple does in there for those 2 weeks, got other bucks still hanging around ,even showing up in daylight but giving all them a pass this year. no one else on the farm had any pics of him, never seen him before so think he was just on some does passing through.