New offerings from Hornady

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Oh well. I guess my stock of AMAX bullets are now inferior and worthless. I may as well throw them away. :(

Last edited:

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Very interesting and it will be neat to see results of this type of testing on other bullets like those with exposed lead tips. A while back I read some articles that made similar claims about the heat from friction on ultra fast projectiles was sufficient to melt the tip causing irregular ballistics and flight characteristics dramatically affecting accuracy and trajectory. This is just another example of companies utilizing modern technology to create vast improvements within their respective industry and this example could result in advancements as dramatic as when the Partition was introduced some 65 years ago.

GregC

Six Pointer
Ouch hate to think what I have invested in Barnes - luckily in NC I probably won't shoot past 150 - but hoping for an out west trip in a couple of years. Will try a box of these. Thanks for posting.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The old stuff worked before and still will today.

This has been talked about for years. I remember about 15 years back we were trying to find a whay to recover the tip and see if In fact it was melting.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
It would have been nice if they had stated what bullet speeds the melting took place at. This will most likely affect the over 3K crowd who shoot over long distances more so than those of us who keep it under 300. I'll stick with my partitions, Game Kings, Core-Lokts and SST's. Having worked on radar while in the service it is interesting to me that they can use doppler to determine that the BC was eroding along the flight path. That kind of capability should produce more accurate ballistic data which would benefit everyone as it is adopted by other bullet companies.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
When in doubt SMKs, may not be designed for game but theyre hell on a shoulder and hold together well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I bet the old Remington Bronze Point bullets never had a tip melt and they didn't deform in the magazine either. They also happen to be the most accurate factory load ever fired from my .270Win.

<>< Fish

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I wonder if since many claim that BT bullets don't do well at close range because they are moving too fast really has anything to do with the tip being pointed at impact at close range and it having deformed by impact at longer ranges. Could be that the softer plastic performs better by hydraulically expanding the bullet and the new harder ones my preform at long range as the older version does up close.
I know. Some will claim they've had no issues at close range and some will.
Now it may not only be that speed changes the physics of what happens upon impact, but that all along bullet composition has Ben altering at different ranges.

Last edited:

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
As an update to this: over the weekend I watched Shooting USA with Jim Scoutten and they had a feature on Hornady's new technology. It was interesting to see how the engineers utilizing the new Doppler technology had to totally revamp their new projectile based upon testing results even though the original design was basically set for full production. The show gave a great explanation of how they can now see very finite data from live fire testing versus computer conjecture based upon mathematical models of known criteria. Being one of the premier ammunition maker they are always striving for "perfection" with projectiles and ballistics and this technology is just another tool they can utilize in that search.

Will this make a huge difference to the average hunter that takes animals within 200 yards on average? Probably not. But it does allow them to R&D designs and components in order to produce amazingly accurate and effective bullets for truly long range applications...be it hunting or target shooting.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As an update to this: over the weekend I watched Shooting USA with Jim Scoutten and they had a feature on Hornady's new technology. It was interesting to see how the engineers utilizing the new Doppler technology had to totally revamp their new projectile based upon testing results even though the original design was basically set for full production. The show gave a great explanation of how they can now see very finite data from live fire testing versus computer conjecture based upon mathematical models of known criteria. Being one of the premier ammunition maker they are always striving for "perfection" with projectiles and ballistics and this technology is just another tool they can utilize in that search.

Will this make a huge difference to the average hunter that takes animals within 200 yards on average? Probably not. But it does allow them to R&D designs and components in order to produce amazingly accurate and effective bullets for truly long range applications...be it hunting or target shooting.

Good post. I like your last paragraph. The long-range target boys will quickly milk the potential....which will help us all.