surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
OK, I just looked at your pic. With my poor eyesight and the name "Ostringer", I just thought you were holding a bow.

But damned if there isn't a raptor on your arm.

What gives, chief?

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I'm a licensed master falconer. That's me with a female redtailed hawk & a freshly snagged tree rat.
Well, I hope you're going to post videos. I could watch that stuff all day.

Outside of the normal hawks, I have some sort of kestral or falcon living out at our farm, in the pines. We've gotten used to one another finally. I like watching it maneuver through the trees, when I'm in a stand during deer season.

Ostringer

Button Buck
Hawks/falcons are cool. When I first learned you could actually hunt with them I had to do it. (Been practicing falconry off & on since the mid 70’s.)
Redtails are large enough to tackle mostly rabbits & squirrels here in NC. Fun to watch & fun to participate!

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Welcome.

I always enjoy seeing the hawks & owls swooping through the trees. All the squirrels seem to go on alert about 2 seconds before one swoops through. It's amazing how everything scurries and then gets really quiet right as the bird moves through.

Once had an owl swoop through and fly up about 5 feet in front of my stand and land on the tree right beside me an arms length away. I thought it was coming for me and it was about to get smacked with the butt of my muzzleloader when it veered right and landed next to me.

Ostringer

Button Buck
Welcome.

I always enjoy seeing the hawks & owls swooping through the trees. All the squirrels seem to go on alert about 2 seconds before one swoops through. It's amazing how everything scurries and then gets really quiet right as the bird moves through.

Once had an owl swoop through and fly up about 5 feet in front of my stand and land on the tree right beside me an arms length away. I thought it was coming for me and it was about to get smacked with the butt of my muzzleloader when it veered right and landed next to me.

Thanks for the welcome (& you too "surveyor")! That sure would get my heart pumpin' (doesn't happen every day) :)

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It was an adrenaline rush for sure. At first I didn't think it saw me, but now i figure it saw me and was coming in for a closer look.... "what's that guy doing 20 ft off the ground?"

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
It was an adrenaline rush for sure. At first I didn't think it saw me, but now i figure it saw me and was coming in for a closer look.... "what's that guy doing 20 ft off the ground?"
Same intro from my kestral (or whatever).

Thought my eyes were playing tricks, and I had a blur in the center of my vision.

Then I realized that this thing had a straight path through 100 yards of pine, and he was taking it right at me. It pulled up and landed above me. Then moved on before I could relax my sphincter and get the camera out.

I see it almost everytime I'm out there now for the last two years.

Ostringer

Button Buck
If you get the chance fellas, go out one day with a falconer - it will be memorable.

Oh, & btw, “ostringer” is a slightly Germanic rendering of the term “austringer”: one who hunts with true “short-winged” hawks (accipiters, buteos, eagles) as opposed to a “falconer”: one who hunts with true “long-winged” falcons (falconiformes). Different hunting styles – different techniques.

Attachments

• Common Backyard Hawks and Falcons Identify Chart Poster.pdf
    538.4 KB · Views: 14

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
If you get the chance fellas, go out one day with a falconer - it will be memorable.

Oh, & btw, “ostringer” is a slightly Germanic rendering of the term “austringer”: one who hunts with true “short-winged” hawks (accipiters, buteos, eagles) as opposed to a “falconer”: one who hunts with true “long-winged” falcons (falconiformes). Different hunting styles – different techniques.

If you don't mind someone tagging along I would really enjoy watching it.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
If you don't mind someone tagging along I would really enjoy watching it.

I just saw your intro post, @Ostringer, and wanted to say: Welcome to the forum! It's a great place to be!

I saw a brief news program some years back about some hunters who hunted small game with hawks. Thought it was so cool! Now I just saw the WRC is offering an Intro to Falconry workshop for the first time ever in September. I would take it, but I will be out of the country in September. I'm in Moore County an hour and 40 minutes southwest of Nash County in the Sandhills. But I would totally drive that distance to see a master falconer and his falcon or hawk hunt squirrels! I love squirrel hunting. Would it be possible to tag along with you one day to see what you do? Maybe a few of us could get together?

Ostringer

Button Buck
I just saw your intro post, @Ostringer, and wanted to say: Welcome to the forum! It's a great place to be!

I saw a brief news program some years back about some hunters who hunted small game with hawks. Thought it was so cool! Now I just saw the WRC is offering an Intro to Falconry workshop for the first time ever in September. I would take it, but I will be out of the country in September. I'm in Moore County an hour and 40 minutes southwest of Nash County in the Sandhills. But I would totally drive that distance to see a master falconer and his falcon or hawk hunt squirrels! I love squirrel hunting. Would it be possible to tag along with you one day to see what you do? Maybe a few of us could get together?
Yes, for those who never witnessed falconry “firsthand”, the spectacle is amazing (whether or not game is taken).
Just seeing a hawk follow the falconer thru the woods AND seeing it swoop down to land on the falconer’s gauntlet at command (while you’re within close proximity) is an eye opening experience.
It has been explained that falconry is witnessing how a hawk or falcon normally takes it’s prey while allowing you (humans) to be there. Predator versus prey.

Local falconers hunt every chance they can (weekends for the working man) and enjoy getting together with others who practice the sport for group hunts, swap stories and discuss training methods, husbandry tips, hawk furniture/equipment – all things raptor related.
There are falconry clubs and associations in each state – NC has the North Carolina Falconers Guild (NCFG) and the Carolina Hawking Club (links below).
These groups usually schedule a few “field meets” throughout the hunting season & the public is cordially invited. These schedules are posted on the websites.
Every falconer I have ever met is more than happy to have others tag along – any weekend and/or at a meet - the more the merrier (plus it gives them a chance to talk about their favorite subject: hawks).

The NCFG is hosting the apprentice workshop you mention (the “guild” and the NCWRC work closely together). Usually a pre-season annual event, the workshop proves to be a fantastic way to be introduced to the sport and meet those who can answer most initial falconry related “how to” questions. Attend that also if possible.

https://www.ncfg.org/

https://www.carolinahawkingclub.com/

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Yes, for those who never witnessed falconry “firsthand”, the spectacle is amazing (whether or not game is taken).
Just seeing a hawk follow the falconer thru the woods AND seeing it swoop down to land on the falconer’s gauntlet at command (while you’re within close proximity) is an eye opening experience.
It has been explained that falconry is witnessing how a hawk or falcon normally takes it’s prey while allowing you (humans) to be there. Predator versus prey.

Local falconers hunt every chance they can (weekends for the working man) and enjoy getting together with others who practice the sport for group hunts, swap stories and discuss training methods, husbandry tips, hawk furniture/equipment – all things raptor related.
There are falconry clubs and associations in each state – NC has the North Carolina Falconers Guild (NCFG) and the Carolina Hawking Club (links below).
These groups usually schedule a few “field meets” throughout the hunting season & the public is cordially invited. These schedules are posted on the websites.
Every falconer I have ever met is more than happy to have others tag along – any weekend and/or at a meet - the more the merrier (plus it gives them a chance to talk about their favorite subject: hawks).

The NCFG is hosting the apprentice workshop you mention (the “guild” and the NCWRC work closely together). Usually a pre-season annual event, the workshop proves to be a fantastic way to be introduced to the sport and meet those who can answer most initial falconry related “how to” questions. Attend that also if possible.

Thank you so much for this info! I will check out the NCFG and the Carolina Hawking Club links!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Kudos for a thorough posting