New Hunter

wfdavis50

Six Pointer
I'm new hunting. I'm looking for a someone or a place ton hunt at or with. I live in Harnett county NC. Will someone please help.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
The Unwarrie game lands is pretty close to you. There are a bunch of threads on here that should help you with public land deer hunting. A lot of competition out there, but you can get it done if you put in the work and the miles on your boots. Good Luck!

wfdavis50

Six Pointer
The Unwarrie game lands is pretty close to you. There are a bunch of threads on here that should help you with public land deer hunting. A lot of competition out there, but you can get it done if you put in the work and the miles on your boots. Good Luck!
I tried the Harris game land for my first hunt last seson. I nvere saw a derr. I tried different spots at harris

wfdavis50

Six Pointer

wfdavis50

Six Pointer
I seer hunted at Sharon Harris last season and did not see it hear anything. I sat still as possible. I'm not sure if I was something worng

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
First deer I ever killed was at Harris. Spend time before season in the woods looking for tracks and you'll find the deer. Use satellite and topographical maps to help find natural funnels and ridges. Also look for easy creek crossings. Best advice ill give to anyone online. Basically pick out a few places to scout at from the maps, then go check them out in person and see whats there.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted Harris some when I lived in Raleigh and saw some deer. I had much better luck on Jordan and Butner.
I seer hunted at Sharon Harris last season and did not see it hear anything. I sat still as possible. I'm not sure if I was something worng

You need to understand the basic needs of a deer (any animal for that matter). It is food, water, cover/security. You have to find the areas that offer those three things. Remember, easy to access areas do not offer security. Just because you find a great food source, does not mean deer will utilize in legal shooting hours, especially if there is no good cover close by or the area is easily accessed by other hunters. In this day and age of digital scouting, you can really narrow down your scouting by spending a few hours studying aerial photos and topographic maps online. That stuff is free and easily accessible. Read articles about ridges, saddles, draws, funnels and pinch points and learn how to identify them on a map. Once you have identified those areas on maps, look how they can be accessed. If you find a spot that meets the criteria mentioned above, but it can be easily accessed (close to a parking area, right off a main trail etc.) then that is probably not your best bet. Look for things that will deter other people from getting there. Long walks, steep climbs, having to cross bodies of water (and I don't mean giant rivers or lakes, even large creeks will deter a lot of hunters). Thick cover will usually deter people as well. Most hunters want to be able to see a long ways. Thickets scare many people because their vision is limited to a small area, but deer love thickets. When you put boots on the ground and start scouting, look for sign of other hunters just as much as you look for deer sign. If you find trees that have climbing stand marks all over them, flagging tape that marks trails, well worn walking paths, trash left by other hunters, then avoid those areas. Finding out where other people are hunting on public land is just as important as finding out where the deer are.

I hunted an area on public land last year that was only a 500 yd walk from a main road. But, I had to slog about 250 yds of that through a swamp in calf high water to get to the area. I found the spot on Google Earth, went into it completely blind with no on the ground scouting. I hunted it 4 sits in 3 days. I saw deer every sit, including one nice buck that I couldn't get a shot at. I never saw another hunter, nor sign of any other person having been in the area recently. I sent a buddy of mine into that spot a few weeks later, and he killed a doe and a 7pt the first sit and then shot a messed up rack 4 pt 2 days later. Also, if you can find spots that can only be accessed by water, those can be gold mines. Get a small boat, canoe or kayak and get back into coves. I have another friend who has been hunting certain game lands in this way exclusively for the last few years. He tags out every year, kills some good bucks as well, and never sees other hunters.

I believe enough help has been offered to you on these threads that you should have some great starting points. Good luck on your hunting endeavors. The pursuit is often more gratifying than the harvest.

wfdavis50

Six Pointer
I hunted Harris some when I lived in Raleigh and saw some deer. I had much better luck on Jordan and Butner.

You need to understand the basic needs of a deer (any animal for that matter). It is food, water, cover/security. You have to find the areas that offer those three things. Remember, easy to access areas do not offer security. Just because you find a great food source, does not mean deer will utilize in legal shooting hours, especially if there is no good cover close by or the area is easily accessed by other hunters. In this day and age of digital scouting, you can really narrow down your scouting by spending a few hours studying aerial photos and topographic maps online. That stuff is free and easily accessible. Read articles about ridges, saddles, draws, funnels and pinch points and learn how to identify them on a map. Once you have identified those areas on maps, look how they can be accessed. If you find a spot that meets the criteria mentioned above, but it can be easily accessed (close to a parking area, right off a main trail etc.) then that is probably not your best bet. Look for things that will deter other people from getting there. Long walks, steep climbs, having to cross bodies of water (and I don't mean giant rivers or lakes, even large creeks will deter a lot of hunters). Thick cover will usually deter people as well. Most hunters want to be able to see a long ways. Thickets scare many people because their vision is limited to a small area, but deer love thickets. When you put boots on the ground and start scouting, look for sign of other hunters just as much as you look for deer sign. If you find trees that have climbing stand marks all over them, flagging tape that marks trails, well worn walking paths, trash left by other hunters, then avoid those areas. Finding out where other people are hunting on public land is just as important as finding out where the deer are.

I hunted an area on public land last year that was only a 500 yd walk from a main road. But, I had to slog about 250 yds of that through a swamp in calf high water to get to the area. I found the spot on Google Earth, went into it completely blind with no on the ground scouting. I hunted it 4 sits in 3 days. I saw deer every sit, including one nice buck that I couldn't get a shot at. I never saw another hunter, nor sign of any other person having been in the area recently. I sent a buddy of mine into that spot a few weeks later, and he killed a doe and a 7pt the first sit and then shot a messed up rack 4 pt 2 days later. Also, if you can find spots that can only be accessed by water, those can be gold mines. Get a small boat, canoe or kayak and get back into coves. I have another friend who has been hunting certain game lands in this way exclusively for the last few years. He tags out every year, kills some good bucks as well, and never sees other hunters.

I believe enough help has been offered to you on these threads that you should have some great starting points. Good luck on your hunting endeavors. The pursuit is often more gratifying than the harvest.
thank you have a lot to do and think about

hharke

Button Buck
Contributor
+1 on Uwharrie and look at Fort bragg. Hassle to get on but has decent hunting if you scout.