New Hunter, Looking for Hunting Buddy

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Hi everybody,
I picked up hunting about half way through last year reading through every manual and guide I could. I took a few courses on deer hunting but didn't try my hand at it until long past peak rut. I have taught myself how to hunt squirrels and have learned a bit about walking up rabbits but still have lots to learn about hunting both of these animals. I live right next to the Jordan game lands so I managed to get a squirrel there on probably my eighth time and managed to get one on some private land in Sanford. If you haven't noticed yet, i've only managed to get ONE each. For me, bagging one and learning a lot is a successful hunt at the moment but I am in need of some real guidance here. Its helpful to know what I'm doing wrong and doing right. I am 18 years old and have a good deal of firearm experience prior to me taking up hunting. I am looking for a "mentor" per say and hopefully one that would be willing to be a good contact or hunting buddy as I continue on with hunting. Please message me if you are interested in helping a new hunter out or if you have any idea on how to go about getting even more connected with the hunting community. Thank you

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hey man I’m 4 hours from you, so not much help locally. This is my 4th season...I didn’t start till I was 30 lol. You’ve come to the right place. Just keep posting and get involved in discussion on here so folks get to know you. And you get to know us. There’s someone on here experienced with anything that swims, flies, or walks on land. Welcome to the family.

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
I’m close to Jordan as well.
Well get up in the next few weeks and walk some spots.
Squirrels are tough late season on public.
They get shot out pretty quick. Like October.
Anyway. Hunting squirrels is easier with two people looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I'm not sure how this whole reply by quoting thing goes but that sounds great! Thank you! Again I am new to this site so is there a way I am able to PM or contact you about this?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hey I'm not sure how this whole reply by quoting thing goes but that sounds great! Thank you! Again I am new to this site so is there a way I am able to PM or contact you about this?
If you just click reply under someone’s comment it’ll automatically quote what they said so we know who you’re replying to. If ya check out the forum rules there’s an explanation about needing to be more active with your posts before you get pm privileges. Hate to sound snobby lol. Mostly so people don’t join and then instantly starting sending pm’s like crazy or sending spam etc. Just find some other threads on here to chime in. Before you know it you’ll have your posts needed for pm

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
If you just click reply under someone’s comment it’ll automatically quote what they said so we know who you’re replying to. If ya check out the forum rules there’s an explanation about needing to be more active with your posts before you get pm privileges. Hate to sound snobby lol. Mostly so people don’t join and then instantly starting sending pm’s like crazy or sending spam etc. Just find some other threads on here to chime in. Before you know it you’ll have your posts needed for pm
Awesome! Thank you so much.

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
I’m close to Jordan as well.
Well get up in the next few weeks and walk some spots.
Squirrels are tough late season on public.
They get shot out pretty quick. Like October.
Anyway. Hunting squirrels is easier with two people looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey sent you a message if the offer still stands. Took some time to get pm privaledges lol

ncsporksman

Button Buck
Hmu if you ever get out to Winston, started hunting turkey 6 years ago now I run a squirrel dog, hunt deer, pig and waterfowl, all w varying levels of success... lotta opportunity here if you have the time and whatever money you wanna throw at it, always fished but wish I’d started hunting in my teens...Sunday hunting on some gameland will open up a lot of days for those of us who arent great at finding private land and work weekdays, that will be huge for ya

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Hmu if you ever get out to Winston, started hunting turkey 6 years ago now I run a squirrel dog, hunt deer, pig and waterfowl, all w varying levels of success... lotta opportunity here if you have the time and whatever money you wanna throw at it, always fished but wish I’d started hunting in my teens...Sunday hunting on some gameland will open up a lot of days for those of us who arent great at finding private land and work weekdays, that will be huge for ya
Yeah, I haven't been so lucky with private lands lol. Winston's about an hour and a half from here. I was thinking about trying out hog hunting this year too. Sounds like I'll have to make a trip out there one of these days! What kinda dog do you have and do you mainly hunt public?