New Hunter - Game Land Question

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Look at the individual game lands restrictions, yes many prohibit or restrict horseback riding during hunting seasons.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Most game lands prohibit horses during hunting seasons

heck had two nice ladies riding horses on Sandhills game land today,,,,,

define "most",,,,"most" of the ones in Western counties prohibit it,,,but not down this away,,,,

Hmmmm,,,I wonder,,,

maybe it's cause we can tell the difference between a horse and a deer down this way????

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Look at the individual game lands restrictions, yes many prohibit or restrict horseback riding during hunting seasons.

there are 92 game lands in NC,,,,92,,,,"most" (which would be at LEAST 47) do NOT disallow horse riding "during hunting season",,,,of that I am pretty sure,,,

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Well here in the western end of the state most restrict riding (probably due to the steep terrain)

Nothing worth arguing over

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

no one was arguing,,,,just keeping it clear to folks as this is a "new hunter - game land" thread,,,,and general statements that are wrong in most cases could confuse new folks trying to understand the rules,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's not advisable to ride horses on multi use game lands during a hunting season but some folks like to live on the edge.
One here close to me which is relatively small they actually have fox and hounds coursing "English style". You haven't lived to about 20 walkers come through with about that many horses accompanied by the traditional horn blowing. LMAO

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
One here close to me which is relatively small they actually have fox and hounds coursing "English style". You haven't lived to about 20 walkers come through with about that many horses accompanied by the traditional horn blowing. LMAO

I'd pay good money to sit in the back of my truck and witness that. :D:p:greenjump:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd pay good money to sit in the back of my truck and witness that. :D:p:greenjump:
It got interesting over there a few times. That was a couple years ago when I was still squirrel hunting. I haven't been back over there during the day.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
heck had two nice ladies riding horses on Sandhills game land today,,,,,

define "most",,,,"most" of the ones in Western counties prohibit it,,,but not down this away,,,,

Hmmmm,,,I wonder,,,

maybe it's cause we can tell the difference between a horse and a deer down this way????
Hey now us western hunters can tell most of time I've only made that mistake twice with the horses Andi didn't let the meat go waste either time?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well here in the western end of the state most restrict riding (probably due to the steep terrain)

They can put regs in but people still ride I've ran into multiple riders in Pisgah more so in spring than fall. If your scouting on Sun not at all uncommon