New Guy

SHOT SLINGER

So after owning an in-line as my first "Muzzle Loader" I went and purchased a TVM 20 ga fowler as my first true flintlock firearm. A beautiful piece but now that the ooohs and ahhhs are over, what the hell do I need to shoot this thing?? I know the particulars; powder, ball/shot, wads/patches. But what are the little things ill need to keep this thing up and are nice to haves? Doing the on-line thing but looking for experience.

Thanks

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You need to get with roundball, I don't think you two live too far apart. He's a smoothbore flintlock aficionado of the highest degree and he shoots TVM also IIRC........

Last edited:

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
You are also invited to come to one of the monthly muzzle loading shoots of the LaFayette Long Rifles, of which I am a member. The range is located south of Duncan, between Sanford & Fuquay-Varina off Hwy 42. Go to our website at:http://ncflintlock.wix.com/llr and download a map.

We shoot monthly on the fourth Sunday each month beginning at 9 AM and ending about 4 PM. We have friendly competition with flint & cap lock rifles AND flint smoothbore fowlers. There are about a half-dozen folks in the area that shoot smoothbore monthly. Some come from as far away as Greensboro.

You will be in good hands with Roundball with all that he gives you.

We can also help by providing a "group-effort" to get you on the right track and on your way to learning by experience and meeting new black powder friends in your area. The six charter clubs of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association will be happy to assist any new traditional black powder shooter/hunter in their area.

All you have to do is come.

Be sure and take the opportunity to attend the 2014 North Carolina State Shoot held at the Lafayette Long Rifle's range on September 26-27-28. The public is welcome to participate or view the widest assortment of muzzle loading firearms from flint smoothbores to chunk guns to Kentucky pistols to Civil War rifle-muskets to 50 lb bench-rest rifles to cap & ball revolvers to shotgun trap shooting. We expect 50 to 60 shooters from NC, SC, & VA.

For "hands-on experience", you can't beat the great bunch of fellow shooters at the monthly Lafayette Long Rifles matches.

Consider coming to our next get-together on August 24th. Tell them, Buck sent you. Hope to be there myself. Need to work on my 12 gauge double barrel flint smoothbore for the trap match.

Hope you can come,

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
NMLRA
Buck100-10X@nc.rr.com

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
I'm no match for Roundball's "in-the-woods" experience, but I appreciate being thought of in the same respect.

Buck

Last edited:

SHOT SLINGER

WOW! :) Thanks for the help. I found and saved that site and will definitnitly attend a shoot sometime soon in the future. I have been on here long enough to feel a little apprehensive about meeting a nchuntandfish legend!