New Flounder Season

TH80

Eight Pointer
That’s just plain stupid. 2 weeks is nothing. Whoever is saying there’s no flounder need to go fish with someone who knows what they’re doing because me and several others I know catch plenty. This pisses me off. If I was closer to SC I’d spend my money there and wouldn’t even buy another salt water license here.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
2 weeks right at peak cane season. Chances are there will be less than a week of fishable time.

If they want to make it 2 weeks, make it in October.

Good job....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Did last year's tight limit reduce the fishing pressure rec wise?
No more elbow to elbow community stuff? License sales down? Tackle stores boarding up?
If not then it would appear if you were making the rules that you were doing a fine job?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang. Just got that beach rental done. Last week of September. Guess there will have to be a season for the “running flounder”.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They should have gone with only fifth Saturdays of the month instead. :rolleyes:

We are spending our money in SC this year. Just got done buying licenses in fact. Between the MFC and Dare county, they are doing their best to run people off.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
They should have gone with only fifth Saturdays of the month instead. :rolleyes:

We are spending our money in SC this year. Just got done buying licenses in fact. Between the MFC and Dare county, they are doing their best to run people off.
What give with Dare county?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

SC is capitalizing. They just changed oos license fees to $75...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
their jack wagon ways with COVID last year
That was ridiculous, especially for non-resident owners.

What hurt us the most is shutting down everything south of OI every time there's a storm in the forecast. I won't recount the whole thing, but they blew up our family vacation on 2 hours notice with 21 people actively driving from states as far away as MI and TX. We got screwed in every way imaginable.

I won't go into what all it took to get everyone there and all we had to do because of the closure, but it was the biggest vacation screwup I've had. All for nothing. The weather was beautiful, and I could see it from where I sat in Englehard. It'll be a long time before I get over that one.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

well dont look now but the CCA (rec) is behind all the changes in SC's law. And one can speculate they are pushing NC's changes.
It seems that the recs are split but the organized recs are "winning" in NC and SC. Which organization works for those that like to catch and eat flounder?

Your saturday statement lead me to wonder- why not 14 saturdays as a season? versus 2 consecutive weeks?

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
They're catching plenty in Currituck too. I really could care less since flounder are barely edible anyway. The crowd I fish with is always joking and making comments like "flounder are for people who don't like eating fish" or something like that. But they are good for wrapping around some crabmeat or peeled shrimp. Like a taco! ;)

But to spend good money targeting them...nah. That's just silly.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
They're catching plenty in Currituck too. I really could care less since flounder are barely edible anyway. The crowd I fish with is always joking and making comments like "flounder are for people who don't like eating fish" or something like that. But they are good for wrapping around some crabmeat or peeled shrimp. Like a taco! ;)

But to spend good money targeting them...nah. That's just silly.

To be honest catching flounder is boring....oh do I have a piece of wood? Virtually no fight most of the time.

However, being a hunter gigging is where it's at. Nothing like tromping around at night seeing all the life in the saltwater, and stabbing a slab or two while you are at it.