New fishing regulations in effect

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

The species impacted are flounder, red drum, seatrout, Atlantic croaker, black drum, bluefish, cobia, king mackerel, mullet, sharks, sheepshead, Spanish mackerel, spot, tarpon and weakfish.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Says red drum are impacted, but says 18”-27” and 1 per day. Was it different inland before?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
So sharks and all the other saltwater species you mentioned are considered “ freshwater” ?

New Size, Creel and Season Limits Adopted for Inland Fishing Waters

Tarpon is one of the 15 species included in new regulations passed for inland fishing waters.

The NCWRC doesn't regulate fishing in the ocean anyway

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Really?
So you can be in the ocean and keep all the drum and flounder you want?

Can you point us to the rules for the "ocean"

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

So you wanna bet if you don't have an appropriate license fishing from a pier a NCWRC wildlife officer won't cite you? Just how much?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
NCDMF enforces salwater fishing limits.

Always has.

Not sure why the NCWRC imposing limits on shark fishing in inland waters is a big deal?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NCDMF enforces salwater fishing limits.

Always has.

Not sure why the NCWRC imposing limits on shark fishing in inland waters is a big deal?
So I want to be clear you are saying the NCWRC has taken the time to waste taxpayers money to adopt regulations pertaining to size and creel limits on 15 different species primarily known as saltwater fish, for waters defined to cover the whole state except farm ponds?

Inland fishing waters are defined as all inland waters except private ponds; and all waters connecting with or tributary to coastal sounds or the ocean extending inland or upstream from the dividing line between coastal fishing waters and inland fishing waters or North Carolina's boundary with another state.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes.

You catch a king mackerel out of Lake Norman it has to be 24 inches or longer fork length now

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes.

You catch a king mackerel out of Lake Norman it has to be 24 inches or longer fork length now
OK, now I know you have stooped to posting about anything even though you realize it is absolutely ludicrous.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Appears it’s just a formality to erase any gray areas of people fishing in the waters that lead to the sounds. Makes sense there’s an official ruling for the overlap where fresh meets salt.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Appears it’s just a formality to erase any gray areas of people fishing in the waters that lead to the sounds. Makes sense there’s an official ruling for the overlap where fresh meets salt.
They have had that for years, it is called “joint” waters. You used to be able to pull it up on the .net and it would describe each and every water and the cutoff point to inland by county, also you could request a separate hard copy by mail if you wanted it. I have no clue how it is now.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s what I’m getting at, appears to eliminate the confusion by making it a uniform standard for anything caught west of the sounds.
But they still have to physically draw a line. That WAS the point previously they did just that in the joint water’s declaration. Now obviously they are just calling everything inland. So where physically does tidal stop and inland start?

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But they still have to physically draw a line. That WAS the point previously they did just that in the joint water’s declaration. Now obviously they are just calling everything inland. So where physically does tidal stop and inland start?
you can easily tell in the Trent river. there's a straight line where the crab pots end.

todobien

Eight Pointer
I've seen flounder and mullet caught in inland waters. Depends on how much rain we've been getting thus how salty the water. The dividing lines are fixed points but the salt wedge moves up and down the rivers.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I only fish private. That's everything within casting distance of the boat, as I'm the only one fishing there. Don't think the GW/MF would agree though. Might need dynamite to fish with. 😁