New Feeder, no deer yet...but lots of coons

Drewnjnc

I just put out a new feeder almost 3 weeks ago about 25 yards off a deer trail in an ideal feeding area and so far I have not seen any deer on my trail cam. However I've seen an upwards of 5 raccoon's almost nightly going after the corn. Any ideas on how to get the deer there as opposed to my night robbers?

PICT0020.jpgPICT0033.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
looks like you need some sharks teeth on those feeder legs, or at least carpet strips..otherwise you're gonna have coon chewing issues pretty quickly. If you find out how to keep a coon from corn, and publish it, you'll be a wealthy man pretty darn quick :D

Last edited:

MyHrly

Six Pointer
I have that Moultrie Feeder Too, Better get Some Small Chicken Wire and Build a Cage around that Spinner, Coons will Tear it Up!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
huh??????

Think about it most people do not continue to put out corn till this point in the year, the deer are grazing on browse and anything that may be growing in the fields, winter wheat, weeds etc. If you all of a sudden just put corn in the woods they are not just going to magicly find it. I watched a deer last week eat briars on the edge a nice green wheat field and he did this for a long time.

ditchbank

Banned
^^^ if you put corn out where there are deer, I promise you that during this time of year they will pass by the wheat and the briars to consume it. The woods are in transition so there is still very little forage for them. They will destroy a corn pile, they don't say "We'll it hasn't been out lately so let's not eat it."
The problem this guy is having is the feeder....that is new to them...they have to get used to it. I'm sure they have checked it out, but just outside of the camera range.

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

Take the legs of the feeders and attach brad nailers to them. You can use self tapping screws to attach them . Coons don't like sharp pointed objects on their front feet especially. It works pretty well. Cost about $15 to add them to each feeder. As for corn , You giving them the opposite of what they need now, They need proteins , Not carbs and starches. No health or positive nutrition value to your deer at all doing corn now. But try the nailers and good luck with keeping the bandits out.