New do all boat

Woodsman2441

Button Buck
Looking for a do all boat. Been eyeing a Tracker Grizzly 1860. I know it can be ran in salt water as long as it is flushed after. Do any of you have this boat and what are your thoughts on it? Or can someone suggest another boat.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
If you plan on hunting the sounds, I'd go bigger, preferably a glass boat. If sticking to lakes/ pick your days on the bigger water, it will work fine.

Woodsman2441

Button Buck
Most of the time will be spent fishing during the summer. And duck hunting during the winter.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Fresh? Salt? Deep lakes? Shallow marshes? I’d go with a glass boat as a well rounded utility boat. Privateer, c-hawk, Jones brothers, intruder, skiff style boats. The only aluminum ones I’d look at are the larger sea arks. Just my preference.

Woodsman2441

Button Buck
Mostly fresh water with salt a couple weekends a year. Maybe a few shallow lakes and areas but not all the time.

Woodsman2441

Button Buck
20’ skiff center console
Flat bottom
Trolling motor.
Big front deck
Camo
15000k worth of electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I get to looking at boats I feel like that's about what I'm going to end up with!

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm in the same boat... (see what I did there?)

I'd like a boat to use for 2 or 3 people to do a little fishing on the lakes, and maybe the river on the upstream sides of the lakes. Also would like to take it out into the salt, but more in the channels, tidal creeks, etc....not really planning on going in the sound.

I'm leaning toward an aluminum utility style boat. Tiller steer would be OK with me if it was the right deal, otherwise maybe a 40-60 HP with small console, depending on the boat.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I am partial to my boat but it is an old 18 foot Seaark with a console and a 70hp yamaha. She is shallow draft with high sides and will take an absolute beating. It blinds out well with a homemade blind but I typically use it for transport to a location and hunt from shore. I've had it loaded down with 15 dozen decoys and three guys with heavy amount of gear for each of us and it still ran mid 30's.
The seaark brand will not let you down. The sides are a little taller and weight capacity is about 200lb more than the grizzled. Either will be a good rig but like I said, I'm partial to the Seaark.20151117_080559.jpg20151117_080446.jpg

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Just went through the same process. We settled on a 1648 mod v. Has an aluminium floor, back bench seat but otherwise open for plan. We are customizing it to our likes. We have a Tracker that we use for our freshwater fishing that I do not want to put in saltwater. This will be our duck hunting, bow fishing, salt water rig. Now before some of you freak out, let me say I grew up using a similar rig to fish around Southport and the other Brunswick county beaches. This is by no means a salt water rig. You have to be smart, pay close attention to the weather and pick your days. May take it to saltwater 2 or 3 times a year at most. We went this rout because 80%percent of our use will be in freshwater. Going with a 30 Mercury tiller steer, looked really hard at a surface drive. Hand control trolling motor on the bow. We camo painted it ourselves, added a deck and in the process of building a blind. Been a fun family project. As someone stated earlier there is no "One boat" that will do it all. Decide what you will do with the majority of the time and center your decision around that.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Look at the Seaarks.
The 20 and 24 can be had for 8k for the boat. Outfit how you want.
Wide open is the way to go. Small SC will give you the most room. CC takes up so much room that it really cuts back on floor space. Add a few coolers to a CC and there is no floor space.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
had a 24 ft seaark for a while,,,,beast of a boat,,,,only got real worried in it one time,,,,there was this one day on Barneggat Bay in January,,,,,,got pretty froggy out there,,,it was so bad that when we got to the ramp to get out of there the warden was there,,,she only rolled her window down a few inches to check our licenses and such,,,it was windy and COLD,,,

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
Closest thing to a do all boat other than Downeast 20 ft Sea Ark, my Carolina Skiff 1965 DLX. I painted it marsh grass green with Parkers duck boat paint. I bought if from a guy who had the dealer install the console its rather small which is fine and its set back a little but it gives it a lot of extra room. I repowered it with a Yamaha F70 which was a perfect motor for this boat. I don't use near as much I should mainly just duck hunting but it is a fine boat as far as my needs go.boat.pngboat gps.png

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I have a maycraft 1800. Got it because I love to fish as much or more than I love to hunt. About the time I got it is when duck hunting went to complete crap. I never imagined that it would fish as well as it does. There have been 1000s of bass come across the gunnels. It has a deck that fishes great. It’s been from the nc coast, to the mountain lakes, all over the south, to Florida and to the Canadadian border. I love it. If I had known how things were going to go with our duck hunting seasons I would’ve gotten a bass boat......but I love my boat. If you plan on having multiple people in the boat and be in choppy water I would recommend the trim tabs. Best do it all boat I’ve ever seen.

maelstrom

Four Pointer
I have a maycraft 1800. Got it because I love to fish as much or more than I love to hunt. About the time I got it is when duck hunting went to complete crap. I never imagined that it would fish as well as it does. There have been 1000s of bass come across the gunnels. It has a deck that fishes great. It’s been from the nc coast, to the mountain lakes, all over the south, to Florida and to the Canadadian border. I love it. If I had known how things were going to go with our duck hunting seasons I would’ve gotten a bass boat......but I love my boat. If you plan on having multiple people in the boat and be in choppy water I would recommend the trim tabs. Best do it all boat I’ve ever seen.
Maycraft are very solid boats with a great reputation. I found a deal on a Jones Brother cc last year that I couldnt pass up otherwise Id have a Maycraft now.

Woodsman2441

Button Buck
Is it just the 20/72 Jon boat with a floor? I've been looking at getting one with a side console l, floor and the 36 gallon bow gas tank and livewell.

Woodsman2441

Button Buck
Finally found me a boat. It is a Edge 963. Picking it up next week and will post picks then. It's more of a hunting boat than fishing but will use for both.