New Compound Strings

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I need new strings on my 8 year-old Elite compound. The ones on it have never been changed. They work just fine, but I figure after this long, it's about time to replace them.

Give me some recommendations for the best strings to put on it. Should I custom order them or just take it to the shop and let them put on what they use? Honestly, I know more about recurve strings than compounds. I've never really chased performance either, only what works.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Breathn aka John's custom archery for the best. After that I would order GAS or 60X and have Godwins archery put them on.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I would check out catfish custom strings. I am a big fan of his stuff.

Some shops will want you to use their suggestions so depends on whether or not you are doing your own.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Breathn's strings for sure.
Easiest way is to contact him on FB thru Johns Custom Archery.
I tell him what Im looking for, then box up the bow, along with 2 arrows and just mail to him. He restrings and tunes the bow and his work is beyond great, and it does not cost an arm and a leg.
Been 2 years since he did mine and there has been zero creep, zero need for tweaking. Dead nuts right.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Lot's of really good string makers out there and all mentioned are good ones. I've been buying strings from Jeremy Cheek ( Archery shack ) for years and he makes some fine strings as well.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
GAS or John’s. John will let you make an appointment if Ringgold VA is not too far for you to drive for a day.
I’ll vouch for John’s in Ringgold. My lease is right down the road from there. He makes a great string and will tune your rig.

Have had strings from JBK and 60x, both were good. Vaportrail May as well have been rubber the way it stretched. John’s has best service and strings.