New Cast Iron

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Never understood why people made it more difficult than it needs to be. Normally do 3 thin, light coats to season. Wash with hot water while it’s hot or warm, wipe clean, wipe dry, back on the burner for a minute or two to heat it up and thoroughly dry it, and then a thin light coat of oil on, and then wiped off. Not tacky at all, and a little dab of butter will make fine eggs that just slide out.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
20220114-184807.jpg

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This past Christmas my sister gave my nephew a cast iron skillet, he's gonna be out of college in a year and on his own, so he's gonna be doing some cooking at some point in the future.

Gave him some tips about how to season it and then keep it going afterward, like someone said on here "every meal you cook in it should be a part of the next meal" LOL!!

I think he listened - he keeps cooking in it once in a while and this week he sent me this gem.

Doc Watson ........ :cool:

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve restored, used and sold cast iron cook for about 15 years. Still sitting on about 1200 pieces (conservatively) Kinda slacked off right now. I’m hot and cold on it. Comes in year spurts for me.

Attachments

• 22F4A2A5-079F-4696-B0F2-FFA948F3FC67.jpeg
    22F4A2A5-079F-4696-B0F2-FFA948F3FC67.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 826DA6DB-D22B-4975-B703-14F3D97DD42A.jpeg
    826DA6DB-D22B-4975-B703-14F3D97DD42A.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 30

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve restored, used and sold cast iron cook for about 15 years. Still sitting on about 1200 pieces (conservatively) Kinda slacked off right now. I’m hot and cold on it. Comes in year spurts for me.
Glad to see you posting again…. Or have you been all along and I missed it?

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I quit posting photos because a fellow whose lease joins me trolls me on NCHF. He is a silent member here and I don’t know his screen name. I check by and read the posts every once in awhile. It takes the wind out of your sails when you can’t share what you what you have roaming around your deer land. Thanks

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I quit posting photos because a fellow whose lease joins me trolls me on NCHF. He is a silent member here and I don’t know his screen name. I check by and read the posts every once in awhile. It takes the wind out of your sails when you can’t share what you what you have roaming around your deer land. Thanks
Get the boat put together and get out there and crappie fish this fall. Them deer can wait lol

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I’d be interested in a pot to use for a chicken stew if you ever have one to sell

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get the boat put together and get out there and crappie fish this fall. Them deer can wait lol
I’m actually trying a 2021 Tracker Tournament Edition boat out Monday. I sold my old pontoon boat to my wife’s nephew. Good to hear from you.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’d be interested in a pot to use for a chicken stew if you ever have one to sell
I think all I have left is a #10 gallon round belly stew pot. Liberty cleaned me out on my big stew boats this spring. Now I have plenty of big Dutch ovens and things like that.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Grapeseed oil is great for seasoning cast iron. It has a really high temp. smoke point. I turn the oven to 400 & place a thin smear on the pan & leave it for 45 min. Repeat as necessary.