New Cast Iron

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I can beat that! Gave daughter #1, who appreciates such things, a nice #9 well seasoned cast iron skillet. Daughter #2 who would not know a vintage cast iron cooking pan from a disposable aluminum pie pan, proceeds to wash the skillet in the dishwasher. Needless to say it came out looking pretty rusty. Fortunately, daughter #1 was able to start the reseasoning process all over again & daughter #2 learned a valuable lesson.
Sorry, did not realize I had posted the same story back in March. Getting old & forgetful.🤪

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Sounds like something my daughter no 2 would do to my daughter no 1. Number 1 is thankful to be born first and not called no 2. Ha ha.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
An old timer that grew up during the great depression he was the one that got me into cast-iron. He just about cut off my arm when I washed his skillet with soap and water. I learned a lot from that old man I sure do miss him.
I gave my oldest daughter a cast iron set & she diligently proceeded to season them. The younger daughter , who knows nothing about cast iron, proceeds to run one piece through the dishwasher.😖

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I gave my oldest daughter a cast iron set & she diligently proceeded to season them. The younger daughter , who knows nothing about cast iron, proceeds to run one piece through the dishwasher.😖
Dang! Just realized this was the 3rd time posted. Sorry! The story is just stuck in my 66 y.o. head.🤪

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Many years ago, I completely destroyed the seasoning on a friend's cast iron pot at deer camp in Ohio. I dumped some chicken chilli in the cold pot and put it on the gas range to heat up. I had no idea what I was doing. I was inexperienced and tried to fix it by soaking it in the sink with dish soap and water, followed that up with an sos pad that I found under the sink. My friend never said a word as I was scrubbing and scrubbing. I felt so bad years later when I realized what I had done.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many years ago, I completely destroyed the seasoning on a friend's cast iron pot at deer camp in Ohio. I dumped some chicken chilli in the cold pot and put it on the gas range to heat up. I had no idea what I was doing. I was inexperienced and tried to fix it by soaking it in the sink with dish soap and water, followed that up with an sos pad that I found under the sink. My friend never said a word as I was scrubbing and scrubbing. I felt so bad years later when I realized what I had done.

it’s just seasoning. It can be taken back to raw and reseasoned. I’m positive it would not hurt my feelings one bit. Shouldn’t hurt your friends either. Lots of people make a big deal out of it, but in reality, it shouldn’t be hard to fix it. Just takes some time and work.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Question for you fellas in the know.

when cooking with big pans.....14s and maybe 20s....what type of burner is best? I’ve used a regular fish cooker and the pan gets really hot in the middle and not on the outsides. I understand why.....just wondering if there is another burner style that would be better or if I need to make one with say three burners or a similar idea.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

that oldest daughter done went through three sets of cast iron and the young one has made the same mistake three times.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Question for you fellas in the know.

when cooking with big pans.....14s and maybe 20s....what type of burner is best? I’ve used a regular fish cooker and the pan gets really hot in the middle and not on the outsides. I understand why.....just wondering if there is another burner style that would be better or if I need to make one with say three burners or a similar idea.
Get a flat steel plate the size of the top, set your cast iron in that instead of letting the burner blow directly on the cast iron. That's how our fish cookers are set up and it keeps the hot spots to a bare minimum and keeps the peanut oil from burning.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Get a flat steel plate the size of the top, set your cast iron in that instead of letting the burner blow directly on the cast iron. That's how our fish cookers are set up and it keeps the hot spots to a bare minimum and keeps the peanut oil from burning.

Great solution. Do you use the steel even when you’re boiling big pots of liquid or is it removable?

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We cook 3-4 nights a week in my Great Grandma's #8 Griswold.

Grandma brought it up here a while back. Said it just got too heavy for her. She's 88 now, but still uses a couple smaller ones at home.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Finally just found someone to repair/weld cast iron and got an old Griswold waffle iron back up and going. This was my first waffle iron I purchased a few years ago and now nice to have two when company is over (after this covid crap is gone). Eight Mobile Welding in Pilot Mountain did nice work and said he'd gladly fix any others.

Attachments

• griswold waffle iron cracked handle.jpg
    griswold waffle iron cracked handle.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 25
  • griswold waffle iron welded repair.jpg
    griswold waffle iron welded repair.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 25
  • griswold waffle iron top.jpg
    griswold waffle iron top.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 25

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What process did he use to weld it? All the cast iron welds I've ever done have been AC welded with nickel rods.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
What process did he use to weld it? All the cast iron welds I've ever done have been AC welded with nickel rods.
To be honest I’m not sure. He Tested it several times by heating it and fairly confident will hold up. Kept building it up n grinding down until he got a solid weld. I have a few old skillets made w nickel or blend of other metals. I could see how nickel would be a good choice for welding cast iron.
This welder said most could be fixed for about $50. The seller refunded me so Im at $50 for a second waffle iron. It originally broke during shipping.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope, it's just two plates of 1/2 steel, squares. They just lay on top of the stove top two burners. We use an oblong oval cast iron pot that covers both for frying fish

so 1/2” steel plate the size of the cooker. That seems reasonable

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
The three pans are older than I am. The griddle I got for Christmas. It’s amazing how light the old cast iron is. I also have a 16” pan in the over with a 12” griddle that were my grandfathers and left to me. The 16” pan I can remember frying up trout for our family at cookouts.

one of the little 5” pans I have came from our family that lived in cataloochee valley.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 25

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The three pans are older than I am. The griddle I got for Christmas. It’s amazing how light the old cast iron is. I also have a 16” pan in the over with a 12” griddle that were my grandfathers and left to me. The 16” pan I can remember frying up trout for our family at cookouts.

one of the little 5” pans I have came from our family that lived in cataloochee valley.
I bet that 16" pan is nice. How you heat it to fry fish in?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I bet that 16" pan is nice. How you heat it to fry fish in?
Its not super old, its a lodge but doesnt have the same finish all the new lodges have. it was in pretty rough shape as it hung on the outside of the cabin when not being used. got it cleaned up and put one coat on it last night probably needs 2-3 more to get it right. i have no clue how ill cook on it at home but maybe take it truck camping for making breakfast.

we use to cook on it at the "fish cabin" that was beside the stocked pound my pappaw had. they had a big outdoor fireplace that had a griddle top so they built a fire in the box and would cook fish in the pan on the griddle and burgers right beside it.

I have it down! Get a rag soaked in vegetable oil and rub down the whole pan . Stick it in the oven for 1 hour at 450. Take it out after it cools down feel the pan if it is tacky put it back in the oven if it is dry to the touch you are good to go.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I just cook a bunch of greasy stuff in mine to break em in after i follow Kent Rollins instructions. The man knoww his cast iron. Check out cowboy kent on youtube if you havent yet

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is a trend going now with people looking for the perfect way to season cast iron. People try it, sometimes it works great, and sometimes not so much. I think eventually people fall into the same habits those before us did. Bake on a good coat or three if it’s raw....after that, wipe it out and wipe down with whatever you have within arms reach.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I used to have issues with eggs and cast iron but found a neat trick. Add your fat or oil and then sprinkle in some salt, then add your eggs. The salt acts like little ball bearings and the eggs never stick.

I started cooking with a heavy bottomed stainless pan and boy.....that's a learning curve. Once you get it figured out though it's hard to beat the sear you can get with those really nice stainless pans.

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Anyone notice the Yellowstone episode where Cayce's FIL is cooking breakfast. Cayce said he wanted over easy and when finished his FIL tilted the pan and the fried eggs slid off onto the plate. I was impressed!!