New Cast Iron

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Really nice jhw.

one other thing to keep in mind. After cleaning and When re-oiling for next use, make sure it is dry as you don’t want to trap water under the oil.

thandy

Ten Pointer
We had a few pans and dutch ovens for a while now. Bought my wife a 16in dutch over last year then my great aunt passes and we got about 8-10 more pans and pots. Not a collector but we have plenty.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Awesome Mr. Gadget, looks to be in good shape . I also have an earlier American model that we make sour dough waffles a few times a month on Saturday mornings. I once bought one similar to yours and during shipping it ended up cracking. Looks like the base might be another manufacturer or not original with the waffle iron, but works. I like the idea of the wire handle.

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm in the process of reclaiming my cast iron skillet from my wife. Hadn't noticed that she's been cleaning the daylights out of it lately.

Told her hands off until I can bring it back to previous glory..........

:mosh:

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
I'm in the process of reclaiming my cast iron skillet from my wife. Hadn't noticed that she's been cleaning the daylights out of it lately.

An old timer that grew up during the great depression he was the one that got me into cast-iron. He just about cut off my arm when I washed his skillet with soap and water. I learned a lot from that old man I sure do miss him.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive finally got the main ones to cooking with very little sticking. A little residue here and there. I leave it on the burner and pour HOT water in the pan or take hot pan and put it in the sink with HOT water running. That usually removes or really loosens it. Maybe a little scraping with a plastic spatula. I have started using a blue half worn out scotch bright pad to lightly rub the bottom and get it clean. Usually use the spatula or tongs to hold the scotch bright and lightly work it around. That seems to be working really well and doesn’t seem hard enough to hurt anything. I have been recoating the pans with a rag and oil each time after that. Get it hot again and let it cool on the back burner. This seems to be working well for me.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
An old timer that grew up during the great depression he was the one that got me into cast-iron. He just about cut off my arm when I washed his skillet with soap and water. I learned a lot from that old man I sure do miss him.
That is bad, but I can top it...youngest daughter not knowing any better put oldest daughter's #8 through the dishwasher once. I shoujd have trained youngest daughter better I guess.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Had to post a couple of beauts I found, both approx $70, one a steal, one a good price and great gift. I've been wanting another no. 9 or 10 "light weight" Griswold to go with my Griswold Large Slant Logo No 9 (probably our most used skillet as it's avg 11" size) and came across this Straight Logo Wagner (left in picture) which was made the first years of production 1898-1915. It weighs 4 oz lighter than the "light weight" Griswold No 9 and costs a fraction of the Griswold prices. I was so impressed with the Straight Logo Wagner that I found a decent deal on another Wagner Stylized Logo No 9, the second variant made of this model and produced between 1920-24 (a cool 100 years old). Both in excellent shape, sit flat (business card wobble in the stylized). They found good homes and will get some use as I and the family member with arthritis who got her first ever cast iron skillet, loves it. Was a good day and some good finds.

Attachments

• wagner straight logo sidney 0 1898-1915 and stylized logo 1920-24 size 9 skillets.jpg
    wagner straight logo sidney 0 1898-1915 and stylized logo 1920-24 size 9 skillets.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 20

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
355A357E-929C-43EB-8864-F2158200682A.jpeg

my newest from grandparents. It was in rough shape. Looked like it had seen either wood or coal cooking. It took about 48 hours in electrolysis and I still had to wire brush it in a couple places.

Attachments

• 312E2455-60BA-4147-B60B-7CBDBF36A40C.jpeg
    312E2455-60BA-4147-B60B-7CBDBF36A40C.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 13

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor

I can beat that! Gave daughter #1, who appreciates such things, a nice #9 well seasoned cast iron skillet. Daughter #2 who would not know a vintage cast iron cooking pan from a disposable aluminum pie pan, proceeds to wash the skillet in the dishwasher. Needless to say it came out looking pretty rusty. Fortunately, daughter #1 was able to start the reseasoning process all over again & daughter #2 learned a valuable lesson.