New Browning Xbolt problem

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I just purchased a new xbolt hunter in 7mm-08 and Im having an issue that has me stumped...
Didn't like the trigger weight so I ordered a spring from Mcarbo.

-Pulled action from stock and removed factory spring, then installed new one.
-Put bolt back into the action and used trigger pull gauge and snap cap to set trigger weight where I wanted it. Loc-Tited in place.
-Removed bolt.
-Put action back into stock and torqued action screws to 40 in/lb each. Correct screw in each hole.
-Installed Weaver scope ring bases, torqued all screws to 16 in/lb each.
-Installed Burris rings, torqued cross bolts to 30 in/lb each.
-Lapped rings.
-Installed and leveled scope. Torqued cap screws to 20 in/lb each.

Bolt will now not go back into the action. Bolt IS in the "cocked" position. It feels like the bolt is hitting something about 1" after it starts into the action raceway. I knew there was no way the action was bound up with having action screws only set to 40#. Thought it could be a base screw protruding into action, but only 1 screw in rear base goes through all the way and it is NOT protruding into action. Tore the whole set up back apart and bolt will not go back in. Removed bolt stop/release button to make sure that wasn't hitting, but that's not it either.
I am at a loss, seriously stumped....
I can rotate bolt to an incorrect position and the bolt will freely go in the action, but that's not the way it is supposed to be. It cannot go in but one way. But by rotating the bolt head I can tell that nothing is sticking out into the action raceway.
The bolt is in the cocked position, the same exact way it came out of the gun.
Any ideas or suggestions before I call Browning or head to the gunsmith tomorrow ??

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
So you are sure the bolt is cocked and no rotation of the sleeve......

Did you try moving the safe button to on or off and then try putting the bolt back in with each position?

My first thought was the base screws. The rear action screw is the longer one, so I am with you there.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
So you are sure the bolt is cocked and no rotation of the sleeve......

Did you try moving the safe button to on or off and then try putting the bolt back in with each position?

My first thought was the base screws. The rear action screw is the longer one, so I am with you there.
Yep, positive the bolt is cocked. Was positive it was gonna be that one base screw but it's hitting something before it gets to that area. Tried it both on and off safe. Puzzling....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pull the action from the stock and see if the bolt seats properly, if not then your action is the problem. If it works than the action screws aren't correct in some way.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
If you PM me your cell # I can text pics of my X Bolt at different angles after I remove it. Maybe that will help. I recently picked up a hells canyon model.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Now you took the trigger out and did a trigger spring replacement, so when you did the replacement did the bolt go back into action at that point, not having to put action in stock? Another thing, when you are taking the trigger out do you not have to set the bolt at a certain angle to remove it from the action. On a Winchester 70 the instructions explain how to completely take all down and put back together, and it will only go one way. You have instruction book with gun? If that bolt has been turned while out of the action could be the problem, as it will only go back in one way and is under spring pressure and instruction book tells how to get it back together.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Got it worked out after pulling my hair out for 18 hrs....
On the left side of the action, right behind the bolt release button there is a small set screw that comes up into the action from the bottom side. On the end of the screw, inside the action raceway there is a small nylon "ball". This ball supposedly acts as a guide for the bolt I suppose, although internet consensus says its worthless. Anyhow, that little screw needed to be backed out 1/2 turn and the bolt slid right in. Have no idea how it differed from its factory setting, but the bolt would not go by it. After looking at it for a day and a half it was obvious to see that the bolt would go in when I rotated it 120 degrees the wrong way because then the ball didnt touch the bolt. Little tough to explain but it was a booger. In fact, the subject of that little nylon ball has caused so much debate on its function that people have been banned on the browning owners forum for arguing about it.
Thanks for the suggestions guys !

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
That is great....had to be something simple sounded like if working before you started.....bet you won't forget that nylon ball next time.