New bow

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Thinking of getting back into archery. Got rid of my stuff a few years ago when I graduated college thinking I wouldn’t have time to bow hunt. Been wanting to get back into it.

Have looked at the new Hoyt and Mathews bows. Anyone checked them out yet? Thinking of heading to Raleigh to see what they are like.

If anyone recommends one over the other let me know. Or if any other brand. I have owned a couple hoyts and loved them both. I also had a Mathews switchback when I was in highschool. Can’t say I favor one over the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What kinda job did you get out of college. You seem to be doing well.

I thinks it’s all preference. I’m shooting a used 300$ 2017 new breed bow and it shoots and feels just as good as any other bow to me.
I don’t like over engineered anything.
As every one will say. Go shoot some different models. If I could afford any 1500$ bow I would look hard at the new carbon offering from Hoyt and the new realm. Prime. Makes a killer bow to but has a lot going on with those cams/ cables.

The 2010 matrix is by far one of my favorite bows. The new breeds are an excellent choice. Great shooting bows and the by far best CS in the industry. Hand built bows. Now factory direct to you. Any color option you can think of. They will send you a test bow now. Barnes limbs. Hand built strings.
Tough to beat.
Pearson has a great line up and great CS also.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I’m a Procurement Forester. Spending as much time in woods and dealing with landowners I have some good opportunities come up for new places to hunt.

But I’ve been partial to the Hoyt. I had a nitrum turbo as my last bow and I really liked it. I do know I want a shorter ATA than the 33” that my last one was.

I looked at the new Hoyt online just don’t know if I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on a bow. But then again if I buy one I plan to do a lot more bow hunting than gun.

I’ve been interested in checking out the elite bows and the obsession. Just need to go shoot a few before I buy.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Fact is every manufacturer makes a quality bow these days and you really can't go wrong with any option you pick so long as you try them first and pick what fits you best. I shoot an obsession M6 currently but really like the Mathews Triax being that I'm a short 27" draw. Hoyts are very nice too just don't fit me personally. Another kind of boutique brand that is nice is Athens.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with others above. Technology with archery equipment has come a long way. There are a lot of good bows on the market and it honestly comes down to the one that you like to shoot the most. I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Spyder and I love it, but I will not tell you that it is what you should buy.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
As everyone else has said, go shoot a few and buy what you enjoy the most. Avoid the big box stores; many of them don't have sample products to shoot before purchasing. Shooting first is a must, just like test driving a car.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I have a relatively short draw as well at 27”. So I am weary of the string angle created from the longer ata bows. I looked at the Mathews today that has the 28” ata and it felt really nice.

I need to find an elite to shoot and the obsession.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
As others have said, shoot as many as you can. Technology has come a long way but each bow feels different. I just bought a new bow 2 months ago. I went out and shot all that I could. I was locked in on a new Hoyt but hated the price tag. I was kinda' bummed until I picked up the new Quest Thrive from G5.
It was a top 5 pick from this years ATA show. All the high end features you'd want....machined riser, aluminum limb pockets, roller cable guard, etc....although it is 33.75 ata, so it may not be for you if you have a short draw.
Soon as I shot it once I bought it. Cant go wrong shopping around, got it otd for $650. Be damned if Im paying $1200 for a bow.....ommv.

Rc187

Six Pointer
I’m a Procurement Forester. Spending as much time in woods and dealing with landowners I have some good opportunities come up for new places to hunt.

But I’ve been partial to the Hoyt. I had a nitrum turbo as my last bow and I really liked it. I do know I want a shorter ATA than the 33” that my last one was.

I looked at the new Hoyt online just don’t know if I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on a bow. But then again if I buy one I plan to do a lot more bow hunting than gun.

I’ve been interested in checking out the elite bows and the obsession. Just need to go shoot a few before I buy.

If you want to shoot elite and obsession and you can drive to Boneyard archery he carries both elite and obsession as well as prime and you wont find a better guy to deal with. Like others have said shoot them all multiple times i was dead set on a hoyt carbon bow a few years ago until i shot the elite impulse 34 and of all the bows i have shot since then i still havent found one i like better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would recommend trying obsession bows. They great bows. One down side to them is if you buy a new they lose a ton of value. I would suggest trying to find a previous years flagship bow.
1973f9003fd9dbd4b53b2b3f2b37becc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
a nice Mathews for sale in the classifieds. Z7. I would say if you can get your hands On a switch back to buy it. Best bow I’ve ever had and will shoot it till it breaks and then I’m done.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Stick with Hoyt. Troll archerytalk and find the deals. They are there. Josh just got a new 2018 Hoyt Hyperforce from a guy that won it at a shoot. I've seen others for sale that were given to shooters by sponsors or dealers or factory and they put them up for sale. Some guys get new bows like they change their underwear and you can get good deals. Archerytalk users value their feedback so you can deal with confidence that you won't get ripped off.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I still shoot a 2012 Elite Answer. I got it off of archerytalk a year after it came out, fully set up and upgraded strings for half what it would cost brand new. I enjoy it too much to get rid of it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MyHrly

Six Pointer
First Flight Archery in Raleigh has good selection of New and Used Bows, as well as an Indoor Range . I had a new String, Q.A.D. Pro-Hunter Rest and a Full Tune up done on my Z-7 it has never shot Better. These Guys are Honest, Friendly Professionals try them out, there's a 2011 Z-7 Extreme Loaded with Extra's for $500 Nice Bow!.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've owned Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech and Prime.
My current bow is a Prime and I like it better than any other bow I've ever shot. But the majority of bows out now are great. I shot an Elite Ritual recently and was impressed.

Go to a reputable shop and shoot a bunch of different ones.
And when you buy one, have it tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. It makes a world of difference.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
PSE has a short one out 28 axle to axle I believe 7 inch brace , and Bowtech has a shorter one this year the ss 7 inch brace so both should shoot well as a thought but like others said they all make great bows and all will kill