New boots

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
All,

I’m having to get a new pair of hunting boots this season. Thoughts on all leather vs cordura/nylon? There are a couple Cabelas all leather that look good, as well as LL Bean.. both have lifetime warranty’s. I realize all leather is higher maintenance, no issues there.

Also need some input on insulated vs non & good thick socks. Last pair was 800gr Rocky’s & I wore those year round. Feet still got cold on stand occasionally, but I think that was more from wrong or non wicking socks.

These will be only for hunting season, have some I can work in warmer weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
If you hunt in briars or thorns get leather. The cordura will still allow thorns through and puncture any type of waterproof membrane.

Darn tough boot cushion merino socks. Go with the lightest insulation you can stand in order to avoid sweating which is the main reason your feet get cold

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah I’m definitely leaning towards an all leather. Seems like the other ones I’ve had always separate or rip at the toe seam or a side seam. LL Bean has a pair that’s 200gr I believe.. Doesn’t seem to be as many choices in all leather lace ups.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
If you hunt in briars or thorns get leather. The cordura will still allow thorns through and puncture any type of waterproof membrane.

^^this, but since LL Bean publicly went anti-hunting and trapping I'm done with them...…...so I get Danner, or White's or Scheels

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
The cabelas Meindl perfekt hunters are nice boots. I have been pretty happy with them. I also have a pair of Crispi nevada’s that so far seem to be the most comfortable pair of boots I have had. They come in both insulated and non.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I dont bow hunt and 90% of my huntin is done late season in colder weather due to work. Muck boots are my best friend. Used to wear irish setter insulated lace ups but after getting a pair of muck boots i dont think ill hunt in anything else.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

^^this, but since LL Bean publicly went anti-hunting and trapping I'm done with them...…...so I get Danner, or White's or Scheels

Thanks for the heads up.. was not aware of that.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Got a pair of Cabelas Meindl a while back, they seam to be wearing well. They were on sale so I tried them. Not a bad boot .....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I second JBGRIZZLEY ,muck boots best pair of boots i have had on my feet, been wairing same pair for four seasons ,this will be the 5th

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have worn Meindl Perfekt hikers for over 14 years (on my 4th pair) but just recently bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn boots,,,,been wearing for a month or so,,,nice boots - I was presently surprised

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I like non insulated boots, about 2X my foot size for late season. Doesn't work during warm season. But 1 X is too little in late December now matter how thick my socks are.

Whatever you decide on I would wear them around the yard for as long as possible before putting them on to go into your first hunt of the year!

I owned one pair of boots for exactly one morning, and changed my afternoon hunting spot because of the blisters they created. My cousin who hunted in that spot that afternoon, shot a wallhanger!

Never wore those boots again!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wear Danner pronghorn or sharptail for woods work and upland hunting, but I wear mucks while on stand. They are a little looser and allow more flexibility for various sock thickness. I don’t like them for a lot of walking though.

I second Darn Tough socks. They are the best I’ve worn, and I bought about 8 pairs last year for everything from snow skiing to everyday wear. Also, wear a liner sock when it gets cold.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I usually wear mucks but last year I bought a pair of the bass pro treestand boots. There all leather. I think 8” but ain’t sure. They have been a damn fine pair of boots for me. If they crap out tomorrow, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another pair simply because they held up extremely well to the abuse I put any boot through.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Danger Canadians have lasted through seasons in NC then PA and been just the right support for the climbing to elevations and handling the nasty rocks. I’ve abused them and still when I cross a creek as long as it doesn’t run over the top they are dry inside. I tried the Super Rainforests but too stiff to be comfortable. The Canadians were a match made in heaven and even in NC Summers the insulation wasn’t bad. It’s only 800 grams so on cold mornings here (-5) I’ll throw on heavy wool socks.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Go American made Danners if you can swing them. Rebuildable and guaranteed, breaking in was much faster in the Canadians as well. Shower with them on then walk til dry or mostly dry and good to go.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Have a pair of Danner pronghorns for about 8 or 9 years now. Good comfortable boots but never were waterproof. Other than that no complaints. I wear them for all my warm weather activities.

Been looking for a new pair just to hunt in. Tired of sweating in rubber boots in the early season. Keep suggestions coming. Been considering Meindls or another pair of Danners.

wl704

Ten Pointer
I've worn the Danner pronghorn for 4-5 years and just started having leaks and pulled one of the hooks out. Decent hiking boot and for incidental water/mud, but I never really have a lot of water/mud that I expect to stand or hike through.

I picked up a pair of salomons for longer hikes.

Darn tough socks, but dry your feet snd change your socks after you hike in...if your feet perspire or have a bit of moisture, your feet will feel cold. If that doesn't work, some people will use those warming packs that activate with air.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
One thing i have done over the years of hunting cold weather and sitting in the stand all day is taking off my boots when i get settled and putting on some wool slippers. Last fall the coldest it got was -11 F without the wind chill.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Another trick I use for cold feet especially when duck hunting when I hike in with waders is spray antiperspirant. Spray down your feet before you go to stop the sweat and you’ll have warm dry feet.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The Promghorns are imported so not rebuildable. I had considered them on recommendations here and an International forum. I needed the support after the accident to get back in the woods. After finding they weren’t rebuildable and not as waterproof as the one piece American made leather boots I went to the Outfitters supply store in Pittsboro to try on Whites and Danners. Was going with Whites but couldn’t have the wait if I wanted to hunt that year.

The SRFs they had in stock where pretty nice and really helped on steep side hills but too stiff for rock faces and before I broke them in the Last gave out. Danner gave me 100% credit on them which covered the Canadians. It was about a year after purchasing and they offered a full replace. When I mentioned the sensitive leg and stiffness along with wanting the softer soles they offered to put the softer soles on a new pair of Rainforests or give me a full credit. I had tried on the Canadians when I bought the SRFs but they didn’t have my size. Even in a way to big size they felt like slippers and I knew with the option just swapping to Canadians would be what I wanted. Danner was awesome the whole time.

So much so that I bought some stitch down dress shoes that finally gave out and when I took them in for repair the local Cobbler told me they were molded sole to look like Goodyear Welts and not resolable but he did repair them for me. I found a local Entrepeneur in his late 20s-early 30s who worked at his Grandfathers boot and shoe making factory to hand make an affordable dress boot I could get away with at work. I was hoping Danner offered but no dice. The local company has been very good at communication even as his rep grows but 6 mos in and the welt let go in a spot. No where near as rugged as my Danners. These are welted through meaning the sole is leather with the stitching from top to bottom.

I log miles at work and travel and wore the thread/welt off. It seems a bonded lower sole over the welt would be stronger like Danner does but Im not a boot maker so maybe that’s how the local guy kept them semi-affordable. I detest throwing out shoes. Not only a waste of resources but money to and with a sensitive leg still the first month on new shoes or boots hurts a lot. Once broken in I don’t even notice. I’m unique with the injury making both feet different sized and the additional pain associated with break in but the disposable society in general really digs at me. The American made Danners are roughly double the price of the Pronghorns but will last me decades. I’ve even submerged them a bunch fishing the last few years and had a bear steal one of the porch during hunting season (true story I was mad thinking he ate it but found it in the yard all scratched up but not too chewed on. Still waterproof this spring afterwards. I’ve climbed the local mountains and into valleys hunting in ice storms and hiked the local Glen Onoko Falls in summer and ice storms and never a slip or fall. I’m considering buying a second pair and rotating. I’ve been told to avoid boot dryers and the full one piece leather doesn’t help drying if you do have water over the top. I have even hunted in the negatives when they were still wet with two pairs of Merino wool socks and while they did eventually get my feet cold you be surprised how long it took once my body heat warmed the damp liquid in them. The Pronghorns have the mesh sides IIRC so may breathe a little better but usually I prefer to retain my body heat and if it’s super hot I’m sweating from every pore so don’t notice warm feet.

Long winded even longer. Look on EBay for a like new pair of Afghan Combat Hikers. Lower cut than Canadians and can be picked up for a song or could at one time. They are American made Danners. I’ve got no qualms of disinfecting a like new pair. I have an almost new ILBE pack from a friend in NC and have been super impressed with the ruggedness. It must be common knowledge now as the prices soared. Afghan Combat Hikers May have done the same.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I also picked up Danners care kit with cleaner, brush, and clear conditioner. I had heard Mink Oil was also good by couldn’t find it. I have since found it here at a local hardware store but have some of the Danner conditioner left. I should also add that I am not great at conditioning and cleaning regularly. Usually it’s when they are disgustingly dirty for months and/or the leather dries to the point it looks like it should crack that I find time to clean and condition. I’m other words maybe 3 times in 4.5 years?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
My foot dr told me about drying agents for my feet as they sweat a lot. He also told me if I didn’t want to deal with a prescription the antiperspirant did almost the same thing. I always forget though so have started wearing a light athletic sock of Rayon/Merino blend with the mesh areas to remove the sweat followed by heavy wool socks. Started last year with the - temps in PA and it’s worked well. Tractor Supply has a huge after season sale and I stocked up though I’m getting low so suspecting my Teen and Wife are hoarding. They are both prone to being constantly cold even if it’s in the 70s.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Does anyone know of a hunting boot using the BOA lace system? I can NOT find one in my size! 13EE.

Thanks!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I can’t think of the brand that had a lot with that system but IIRC you can get a BOA style tightener for standard laces. Or maybe I was going to design one? I haven’t looked in 3-4 years so maybe not available.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yep just checked you can add them or more specifically they can retro fit them. Salomon was who I was thinking of but it’s a different system. The Salomon cutting edge hiking shoe at the time had an additional wire that wrapped your ankle that I liked the idea of. I found a way to lace and also use longer that I knot at the end to kind of “Speed Lace” my Danners.