New 4ac prop.

Jbrab

Spike
We ha e purchased a 4ac parcel with our home. We are practically surrounded by wooded property on both sides. What is the best way to attract deer to our area? The trees consist of mature maple, elm oak, hickory but very few pine.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Here is an update on our property. Got a bunch of does showing up and now these guys

Last edited:

Jbrab

Spike
Got 2 feeders up, several coons, possums and squirrels. Even got a fox showing up. I know it's still early. I have been making a ton of noise with the chainsaw. Thinking of putting up a couple jars of peanut butter. I'm just anxious to see a deer on camera.

Jbrab

Spike
We have 4ac. Our neighbor to our right has 20ac all wooded and our neighbor to the left has 30ac that I would say is 50% cleared.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Plant a garden. Make sure you plant a few cantaloupes in it Think they can smell them a mile away. But if you have many deer dont plan on getting alot of vegetables to eat

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
That’s 54 acres with a good mix of habitat....the deer are there...just keep your eyes open, maybe put out a camera or two, and you’ll see them.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
They love daylilies too. My wife thinned the ones here at the house and I took the and threw them out around my old food plot. They came up great and the deer keep them pruned back.

Jbrab

Spike
When I get the stand built I can shoot from both sides, depending on the wind. Hence 2 feeders

Jbrab

Spike
With 4 acres - connected to your home - what you've got is a big lot.

Trim a shooting lane, throw corn on the ground, and shoot them from your deck.

Why do you have 2 feeders? Does one not work?
Already done that. Several lanes actually.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’d get a mineral site started and place a camera on it. It may take awhile before the deer use it regularly.... but deer will hit mineral sites hard in the next 4 months. Congrats on your land purchase.

jgcpa

Spike
I’d get a mineral site started and place a camera on it. It may take awhile before the deer use it regularly.... but deer will hit mineral sites hard in the next 4 months. Congrats on your land purchase.
That's good advice...if you just throw out a block now and wait. I did that this time last year and the deer didnt find it until January of this year. You can probably accelerate the process by using some liquid mineral products, along with a block, and put some corn out on top for them to find it faster.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That's good advice...if you just throw out a block now and wait. I did that this time last year and the deer didnt find it until January of this year. You can probably accelerate the process by using some liquid mineral products, along with a block, and put some corn out on top for them to find it faster.

I’d stay away from the corn. Unless you are generally wanting deer pics. I would just begin with a good mineral product. Don’t fall for the gimmicky stuff and stick with a product that has a good balance of minerals/trace mineral. Lactating does along with bucks will seek it out now through June.... then most of your pics the rest of the summer should be bucks. At least in my experience. Good luck.

Edit: location is critical to establishing a good site. Locate a well drained area 15 yds off existing deer trails. Make sure it has cover around it and they will use it all times of the day.

jgcpa

Spike
I’d stay away from the corn. Unless you are generally wanting deer pics. I would just begin with a good mineral product. Don’t fall for the gimmicky stuff and stick with a product that has a good balance of minerals/trace mineral. Lactating does along with bucks will seek it out now through June.... then most of your pics the rest of the summer should be bucks. At least in my experience. Good luck.

Edit: location is critical to establishing a good site. Locate a well drained area 15 yds off existing deer trails. Make sure it has cover around it and they will use it all times of the day.
My thought for the corn was that it would initially attract them to the area... not with the intent to continually put out corn in that spot over the summer.

Jbrab

Spike
Sounds good I will try that. Thanks!!

Jbrab

Spike
I've thinned out some spots, primarily where I want a stand. Going to use some of the liquid mineral on a couple old stumps too.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Can't quite get the picture here. Where is your house in relation to the 4 ac. lot? At the front, in the middle......? How does the lot lay........ square, long rectangle off tthe road? How far are your neighbor's houses from you lines? What does your neighbor have in his cleared property? Cattle pasture, agricutlural field crop? It is all relative information in order to give accurate recommendations.

Jbrab

Spike
Update....got several deer showing up since the liquid mineral was put out. All times of the day....7am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm....starting to look good for opening day!! Just a couple pics out of hundreds.
c6576b6146eabce7219a5ad6d1ce591e.jpg
da5be53f3cc2793c96819b8e02910c9d.jpg

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Curious to see how well your mineral block does.......I got 125 acres 80 acres corn and 1/3rd soybeans. Could not get any interest in a mineral block. Even on a highly traffic pinch point in the timber. I’m sure it’s user error.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good luck, I own a little place that’s 4 ac as well, it just happens to have a very high traveled deer funnel in the back they I can shoot a doe on almost any day of the season, so sometimes having a few acres in the right spot can be very productive