Nest predators

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Chamberlain :

This Turkey Tuesday is about nest predation and how it’s studied. Many things eat turkey eggs, ranging from mammals, to snakes, to birds. Studying nest predation is difficult, because monitoring lots of nests without disturbing incubating hens is impossible. So, researchers often radio-mark hens and monitor their nests – after the hen leaves the nest they locate it to determine nest fate. In this 1st picture, the eggs are scattered about the nest site and have been eaten by a mammal – but beyond that, it’s hard to know what happened. So, researchers will sometimes use artificial nests to make inferences about nest predation – these nests are placed in spots where one would think a turkey would nest and a camera takes pictures or video of what visits the nest. But are artificial nests a good proxy for understanding actual nest predation? Well consider this. First, most critters identified as nest predators in artificial nest studies, such as raccoons, foxes, feral pigs, opossums, and crows, do not see hens as prey – and hens actively defend their nest against predators if they don’t perceive them as a threat to themselves. We’ve likely all seen the videos floating around social media of incubating hens attacking raccoons, snakes, and other predators. This 2nd picture shows a Gould’s hen sitting while a gray fox sniffs the area beside the nest! Second, consider that snakes are rarely ever noted as predators of artificial nests – yet are an important nest predator of actual turkey nests. Third, the hen sitting on the nest puts scent into the environment, which serves to attract some predators – many of which are after the hen and may or may not eat the eggs. Hens that are attacked may leave the nest site and not return, and sometimes their eggs are still intact several days later – the predator didn’t consume the eggs. The take home is, nest predation is a tough topic for researchers to tackle - understanding it is more complex than seeing what eats turkey eggs, because hens are adapted to protect their nests. The presence of the hen matters.
1658876431480.png
1658876460773.png

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
So a lot of money is being spent on a lot of research with no real answer to why are turkey declining. Maybe everyone who gets a turkey tag puts in a couple bucks nationwide payable to who ever can find a answer to the problem and how to fix the problem . Money talks!!!

outdoorbum

Button Buck
Predator management has been a thorn in wildlife management's since time began. With quail in NC their decline is from habitat and mismanagement along with coyote explosion. As with most things, predators are looking for the easiest meal. We got to manage predators to ensure they don't wipe out a species. Snakes are also a major nest pest in some locations.

In a long winded round about way: gotta hunt the predators to have the prey species

ol bob

Six Pointer
Had to go to the drug store yesterday morning, about a 20 mile round trip, counted 9 skunks in the road, I would say raccoons out number skunks 100 to 1 we have a major problem.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
We all have trail cameras with 8-10 coons on bait piles during deer season. They are a problem for sure. But what can you do with them? I could probably trap them, but then what? That is my issue. Don't want to eat them, so I guess we need to look at them like coyotes? :unsure:

odie408

Ten Pointer
We all have trail cameras with 8-10 coons on bait piles during deer season. They are a problem for sure. But what can you do with them? I could probably trap them, but then what? That is my issue. Don't want to eat them, so I guess we need to look at them like coyotes? :unsure:
I sell them $10 to $15 on the back streets. Throw them on the dog box and ride through and someone will flag or run me down wanting to know what I am going to do with them coons. They sell them selves around here. I have one fellows number that will take every one I get.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I sell them $10 to $15 on the back streets. Throw them on the dog box and ride through and someone will flag or run me down wanting to know what I am going to do with them coons. They sell them selves around here. I have one fellows number that will take every one I get.
Alive or Dead?

old school

Six Pointer
In driving around Beaufort County a couple of days the last two weeks I've counted 17 different dead raccoons. The surprising thing I found was that 7 of the kill sites involved a pair of dead raccoons. Of these 14, they were all young, this year's 'coons. Good for the Turkey nesters, bad for the young bandits.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Many things eat turkey eggs, ranging from mammals, to snakes, to birds.

not pointed at anyone in particular,,,, just using quoted text as a stepping stone,,,

if you worry about turkey populations and aren't trapping or otherwise reducing the predator load (varmint calling, etc) then you have no room to complain

Delta waterfowl org has shown what predator control can do for waterfowl numbers, and Turkeys for Tomorrow has initial studies showing similar,,, kill the predators and you will see positive results,,

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
not pointed at anyone in particular,,,, just using quoted text as a stepping stone,,,

if you worry about turkey populations and aren't trapping or otherwise reducing the predator load (varmint calling, etc) then you have no room to complain

Delta waterfowl org has shown what predator control can do for waterfowl numbers, and Turkeys for Tomorrow has initial studies showing similar,,, kill the predators and you will see positive results,,
The problem I face is first one Has to be close enough to check the traps every day. And second the owners and others involved have to see it the same way you do. I’m convinced more than ever that reducing nest predators will do more than anything to help our Turkeys. But good intentions don’t do any good until they are carried out. So amen to what you’re saying

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The problem I face is first one Has to be close enough to check the traps every day. And second the owners and others involved have to see it the same way you do. I’m convinced more than ever that reducing nest predators will do more than anything to help our Turkeys. But good intentions don’t do any good until they are carried out. So amen to what you’re saying
For what it’s worth. I’ve thought about putting cell cams on traps before to save me some trips. Not sure if legal,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For what it’s worth. I’ve thought about putting cell cams on traps before to save me some trips. Not sure if legal,
Right now I don’t think it is simply because the state is outdated on technology. That is something that needs to be addressed.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Right now I don’t think it is simply because the state is outdated on technology. That is something that needs to be addressed.

remote monitoring is now legal in NC (page 55 of this year's regs) - it changed last year - the requirement for the monitoring system is more than a cell camera though (at least based on how I read it)

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
remote monitoring is now legal in NC (page 55 of this year's regs) - it changed last year - the requirement for the monitoring system is more than a cell camera though (at least based on how I read it)
I used to use the old "beeper" collars to monitor traps. Just fasten the collar around a tree and tie the magnet to the trap chain. No signal=no need to go to trap.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Who has the time to trap predators on a landscape level? :ROFLMAO:
I don't get that thought process.

People that plant food plots for deer (or turkey) expect to plant and whatnot every year, maintain stands/shooting lanes, move stands, etc...

People that have private property they duck hunt on expect that they'll have to continuously do maintenance, not just on blinds, but pumps/levelers, berms, beavers, maybe planting, drawing down or raising water levels when they can, etc...

I do understand that state laws being what they are can make a difference, especially if you can't be there to check as required.