Neoprene dog vests?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
What do y’all recommend or use for your retrievers? I’ve seen several varying thickness (mm) vests along with varying degrees of floatation.

My dog is about a 48 lb Brittany that loves retrieving - looking to keep her warmer and safe in the water while hunting

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Avery boaters vest is the best I’ve tried and I’ve tried all of them except banded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
^same the handles are great for lifting my 100lb lab, also fit better than others I’ve tried.

britlab64

Six Pointer
One of the few Avery products I like
But the boaters vest works best for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie

Twelve Pointer
I use the cabelas brand with the armorflex (Velcro only, no zipper)but would probably use one with handles if hunting out of a float rig.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Personally...I'd tell you to take her into the store (BPS, Cabelas, Academy, wherever) and try them on to see what fits well. Though the handles to lift in and out can be mighty handy.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Those handles have worried me around brush. I've had the dogs collar get hung up where she needed help getting free. Wasn't a big deal since I could walk over there. But m I got be an issue in a deep water situation. Anyone ever have any issuse? I have the Cabelas velcro one with floatation. No complaints with it

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Those handles have worried me around brush. I've had the dogs collar get hung up where she needed help getting free. Wasn't a big deal since I could walk over there. But m I got be an issue in a deep water situation. Anyone ever have any issuse? I have the Cabelas velcro one with floatation. No complaints with it

Main reason I don’t use one with handles and only use Velcro is the possibility of getting hung in something. I also carry a pair of snips in my waders just in case. Mine got caught in some stuff coming out of a ditch a couple seasons ago that scared the hell out of me. Got her back legs wrapped up in some stuff and every time she tried to jump out, it bound tighter on her legs. Luckily I had a pair of snips in my blind bag and was able to cut her free.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not overly concerned since they run parallel to the head/spine, and the dog doesn’t swim sideways if the makes sense. I’m more concerned about his flat buckle collar or the neck hanging up on something.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the info. 99 percent of my hunting is open water. Thought it might help wncdeerhunter make a decision

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
Unless the vest fits properly it will do more harm than good in cold water. If the dog come out of the water and water pours out of the vest it is not going to do any good.

The object of the vest is like a wetsuit. You get a thin layer of water trapped between the body and the neoprene. Body heat warms the trapped layer of water and warms it up, thus acting as an insulated barrier. The vest must fit tight from neck to hips to allow this to happen. Otherwise every time the dog gets in, cold water is getting in and using more body heat to warm the water over and over thus making the dog even colder because it’s core temp will be reduced.

In my experience unless you get a vest custom made the commercially made ones never fit right. I use a vest more in hunting fields to break the dogs outline up and protect from corn stubble . I really never use one in water. I just make sure the dog is up out of the water and out of the wind and carry a chamois to dry them off.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

Yep. Had to swim out to save my dog one icy cold morning. All of my clothes were frozen within minutes. It was rough, but not gonna watch my dog drown.

Got his collar hung on some brush and couldn’t get free.

ditchbank

Banned
What do y’all recommend or use for your retrievers? I’ve seen several varying thickness (mm) vests along with varying degrees of floatation.

My dog is about a 48 lb Brittany that loves retrieving - looking to keep her warmer and safe in the water while hunting

I have two brand new ones that are too small for my lab if you need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ditchbank

Banned
I have two brand new ones that are too small for my lab if you need one.

My girl is 14 neck 26 chest, think they’d work?

No, sorry I tried, I just looked the two I have are for dogs with 20” neck and 33” chest and 19” neck and 31” chest.
033372f33a0850feff6310941265fa25.jpg
adb550195412ea4ee2c76eebee05df1c.jpg
these are the AVERY Sport Dog with some kind of armour on the bottom to prevent limbs from piercing into the vest.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
No, sorry I tried, I just looked the two I have are for dogs with 20” neck and 33” chest and 19” neck and 31” chest.
these are the AVERY Sport Dog with some kind of armour on the bottom to prevent limbs from piercing into the vest.

I appreciate you checking

ditchbank

Banned

I appreciate you checking

I measured my dog and ordered accordingly but apparently I’m
Measure of wrong and was suppose to return them for credit but never got around to it. My lab is huge in the neck and chest area.