Need you guns guys to help me out

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
After accidentally picking up a 28 gauge in a deal I couldn’t refuse I became a sucker for them. Been eyeing getting a 28 or 410 for a few years and finally found one that needed a home in my safe. A lot of people knock on them but it is my favorite gauge to shoot now. Just got to buy a reloader now lol

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
After accidentally picking up a 28 gauge in a deal I couldn’t refuse I became a sucker for them. Been eyeing getting a 28 or 410 for a few years and finally found one that needed a home in my safe. A lot of people knock on them but it is my favorite gauge to shoot now. Just got to buy a reloader now lol

28 has been my favorite gauge (when appropriate) since 1977

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its not an old 870 (and have 2 other 870's)

Its a Savage Axis .243, and again that is for trading my 870 slug gun, i have plenty of firepower, was just on the cusp of selling a few safe queens for a Benelli or Beretta over under which will set me back a few thousand and this trade was brought to me. The 6.5X55 is a model 70, so i know what i have there, it likely won't be going anywhere.
View attachment 90876

for a clays gun, Beretta is a solid choice. I like Browning over them, but both brands make great clay guns.

benelli o/u.....they are relatively new to the market and there seems to be a lot moving when you break them open. I havent heard any bad about them. I would definitely take a look at the actions before buying. To me it just seemed like a lot of potential failures.

With the other two brands...basically firing pins are about the only thing to stop the gun. Ejectors break.....but it still goes bang.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I have almost the same gun (SPII Sporting) as you Steelshot, bought from Mid South several years ago. You will love it as you can shoot any clay game and fowl equally well. The 28ga is a very capable and fun gun to shoot.

Last edited:

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
I have almost the same gun (SPII Sporting) as you Steelshot, bought from Mid South several years ago. You will love it as you can shoot any clay game and fowl equally well. The 28ga is a very capable and fun gun to shoot.
I almost went for the sp3 but as soon as I get a handling mark on it I’ll be slapping my self so to avoid self harm I went for the sp1. Still treat it right but I won’t have to punch my self in the face for a scratch or two along the way. Haha

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
I have had no issues crushing fowl or clays with that gauge. It’s funny when folks come out to the dove hunt with 3 inch 12 gauge and I show up with a 28….. have made many a believer.