Need you guns guys to help me out

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Am selling a couple of guns, looking to buy something different - clay over and under is what I'm looking at, anyway, i have an 870 slug gun and someone wants to trade me for a .243 with bushnell 3-9x40, bipod, sling and 7 boxes of shells.
Question i have is will the .243 out perform a 6.5x55? looking at trading my sons gun up but would have preferred something in the .30 cal range

just looking for thoughts on the 243 vs 6.5x55

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
If it were me, which its not, I'd get the gun you want.

When Im hunting, after the shot, I want zero regrets on the gear I chose, because I have enough regrets with all the other things about that might have or did gone wrong. Me toting a gun into the field that I have any doubts about just about ruins the whole trip.

If its a money thing, Thompson Compass rifles are really quite affordable for what you get. For the beasts you have up there, I dont think Id go less than 30-06, and would probably step up to 300 Win Mag. With either you would have plenty of gun.

To answer your question though, I'd say the 6.5x55 is a superior chambering. But thats just me.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Need to know details of make and model on 243 to advise on trade. But for the question you asked 6.5x55 is superior.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Its not an old 870 (and have 2 other 870's)

Its a Savage Axis .243, and again that is for trading my 870 slug gun, i have plenty of firepower, was just on the cusp of selling a few safe queens for a Benelli or Beretta over under which will set me back a few thousand and this trade was brought to me. The 6.5X55 is a model 70, so i know what i have there, it likely won't be going anywhere.
unnamed.jpeg

shurshot

Ten Pointer
If you’re really wanting to trade for an O/U, you might want to go see Phillip at Mid South Guns in Wagram (near Laurinburg). He absolutely knows guns/values and will give you a fair trade. He also has on hand probably one of the biggest and best inventories on O/Us anywhere, both pre-owned and new. My buds and I have bought many guns from him over the years, my most recent purchase couple weeks ago being a new .410 Browning O/U at a very good price (and rebate!).

Don’t know how far you’re away but it’s certainly worth going. I’m sure many on here can vouch for his business.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you’re really wanting to trade for an O/U, you might want to go see Phillip at Mid South Guns in Wagram (near Laurinburg). He absolutely knows guns/values and will give you a fair trade. He also has on hand probably one of the biggest and best inventories on O/Us anywhere, both pre-owned and new. My buds and I have bought many guns from him over the years, my most recent purchase couple weeks ago being a new .410 Browning O/U at a very good price (and rebate!).

Don’t know how far you’re away but it’s certainly worth going. I’m sure many on here can vouch for his business.
He’s a LONG way away…. Like in Canada long way away….lol

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I would keep the 6.5x55 over the 243, despite it being metric. You probably don't have a problem with that as you are in Canada, and drink by the liter anyway.

But I certainly wouldn't trade into an Axis. They are a dime a dozen. And the scope isn't a selling point either.

I would hold out for the 30 cal you want. Lord knows I like to buy, shoot, and flip guns. But when it comes to something with staying power, my 30-06 is it.

I'd like to have more 30 cals. A krag and another 308 would be nice.

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Your winny looks badass btw...

And I'm with Killerhamilton, there's just something about an 870 that inspires confidence when you rack it. You say it's a slug gun, rifled barrel? Nothing like sending a full oz of lead down range accurately...

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would be hard press to trade a loaf a bread for a Savage Axis. But that's just me. If it's not an older 870, then it's just about tit for tat.

I do however like the 243 round, but I must be one of a few that does.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Reason the 6.5x55 is still around is it was ballistically way ahead of its time and was a long standing mil surplus rnd. The 243 is a good cartridge and I know guys that shoot with em at 1k and do ok. Main reason for one over the other is superior ballistics in the 6.5 but it’s a long action and some just prefer a short action. My money is on a 6.5 55 with a good barrel anyday

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Ok, well the 6.5 x 55 (have to add the full caliber, dont want anyone thinking i have a creedmore) isn't going anywhere, or at least not for something worthy. I have a few Tikka T3's but not sure i like my son enough to share with him, so the 870 slug gun was just sitting between 2 other 870's and jus not sure when i would ever use it again. One time i lived in an area where it was a controlled hunt and could only use slug guns, but since i bought the property its been either the 300 or the 30-06

Appreciate the advice, and dont think i will make the trade (y)

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
What kinda clays gun are you looking at getting? May not need to get rid of anything to get it. Just went and picked up my new dove/ clays gun from midsouth on wendsday. Best price I have found yet and gun was in stock. Price was almost $300 cheaper than anyone other shop I talked to.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What kinda clays gun are you looking at getting? May not need to get rid of anything to get it. Just went and picked up my new dove/ clays gun from midsouth on wendsday. Best price I have found yet and gun was in stock. Price was almost $300 cheaper than anyone other shop I talked to.
don't leave us hanging like Chad, tell us what you got.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
@Steelshot looking at a few options, the Beretta 694 sporting is something I've looked at, i just need to grab one and hold a few first. Want adjustable stock and then would look at options like the Briley tube sets. Actually was checking out a Citori 4 skeet barrel combo but the guy selling it went dead quiet when he asked me for postal code for shipping, and i told him i am in same city and can look at it anytime prior to paying anything

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
don't leave us hanging like Chad, tell us what you got.
No idea what Chad bought lol

Last edited:

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
@Steelshot looking at a few options, the Beretta 694 sporting is something I've looked at, i just need to grab one and hold a few first. Want adjustable stock and then would look at options like the Briley tube sets. Actually was checking out a Citori 4 skeet barrel combo but the guy selling it went dead quiet when he asked me for postal code for shipping, and i told him i am in same city and can look at it anytime prior to paying anything
I have shot a 694 with the b-fast system 30 inch barrels. Fine gun in my opinion. Pricey but fine gun. Are you dead set on a B gun?

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
i know some people who know some people so can get a decent discount on Benelli, Beretta and Stoeger - but Stoeger is out for sporting clays
I shouldered a Rizzini at a gun shop the other day. 32” barrels sporting needless to say I would be very interested in shooting that gun.