Need to upgrade DSL router/modem combo... Many devices.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I need to upgrade my router I believe. I can't get the 5Ghz band to broadcast strong enough to be picked up anywhere. I've got a family of six with approximately 12 devices pulling from the wifi, but not all at the same time, but close.

It got tough with all kids home from school doing online work. Buffering, losing connection, etc.

I'd like to eliminate having a modem and router as separate devices.

Has anyone upgraded recently? Got any advice?

I have DSL at 10Mbs download (advertised). No upgrades possible unless I switch providers and then have fiber trenched to my house (must maintain a landline, with a new number provided by them.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
I was in the same situation. I did the router modem combo thing but that didn't count as an upgrade. DSL is what is killing you.

An extender will help a little.

I know have Spectrum (internet only) and it allows you to ditch your landline phone. It actually comes out cheaper even for Spectrums 400 Mb

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
I meant to say that an extender will only help the range of wifi

Spectrum covers my large house and then some even with the 5 Ghz band

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
10 mbs? Not a modem/router problem, you don't have enough bandwidth to handle 12 devices. I have 100 mbs and 5 devices using it at the same time without problems.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Trying to do too much with too little! Can you upgrade service? I doubt you will see much relief with a new router and modem....just a lighter wallet....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can use your phone hotspot for personal devices , it works well for my case.
T- mobile provides 14 MPS at my house in the middle of nowhere, it's what I use for my work computer

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
On the bandwidth, 10 will be slow, but it will work.

A good router will make sure you can get full bandwidth all over the house. Of course, that bandwidth will be split among all active devices.

I really like my netgear nighthawk. It was around 100 bucks, and can have multiple extenders to create a mesh network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have DSL at 10Mbs download (advertised). No upgrades possible

We have the same. We do have a combined modem/router (from the provider), but that's not going to solve your problem. When we get more than 1 device streaming something, we begin to see slowdowns. A few can load pages with no problem, but if you are uploading files or streaming content, it will be slow.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I need to upgrade my router I believe. I can't get the 5Ghz band to broadcast strong enough to be picked up anywhere. I've got a family of six with approximately 12 devices pulling from the wifi, but not all at the same time, but close.

It got tough with all kids home from school doing online work. Buffering, losing connection, etc.

I'd like to eliminate having a modem and router as separate devices.

Has anyone upgraded recently? Got any advice?

I have DSL at 10Mbs download (advertised). No upgrades possible unless I switch providers and then have fiber trenched to my house (must maintain a landline, with a new number provided by them.

You’re fighting several issues here.

1. Router: yes the OEM provider equipment generally sucks compared to a high end TP Link or Netgear, but that doesn’t seem to be your main issue.

2. Bandwidth: Ding! This is your main problem. Doesn’t have anything to do with what band you are using, y’all are simply “out kicking your coverage”.. General rule of thumb is 1-2 Mbps per device, and that will vary based on range & what you are streaming. So family of 6, 12 devices. I’m gonna assume everyone’s phone/tablet, plus a couple gaming consoles & a smart TV or streaming device? Best thing you can do is upgrade. 2nd best, is try & hardwire what you can. If it’s a smart tv or gaming console, throw a cable on that sucker now.

3.2G/5G: it sounds like the bandwidth issue maybe magnified by everyone trying to use 5G. 5G IS faster than 2g, but has half the range, due to higher frequencies not being able to penetrate walls & floors as well. So if you are on the opposite end of the house, with 1 bar of 5G, you would be better off switching to the 2G, everything else being equal.

That’s something else to try, the devices that are on the “fringe” of the signal, run on 2G. Also, most routers have a power/transmission level that can be adjusted.

If the router is in the middle of the house, you don’t need it on High or Max if most of the devices are close by. Boosted WiFi signal can be compared to a cylinder or imp modified choke- the higher the signal, the less coverage you have closer to the router.A doughnut pattern basically.

Flip side of that, if the router is on the opposite end, then you want to double check that the Tx level IS at max, not all of them are set to max from the factory. You can also get a channel analyzer app & see if you are getting interference from neighbors, and tweak the broadcast channel based on that. Or set the router to auto & see if it improves.

But yes, I can tell you that your main issue is the number of devices on that bandwidth. Also, run a speed test to see what you are actually getting. If you do that in different areas of the house, that will show you also the quality of the WiFi, before you spend $$ on a router.

I’ve lost count of the customers over the years when I was installing & then servicing alarms & home auto, that could not grasp everything I said above. They had the mentality that “oh y’all are selling it, it should work”. Or “ yes I have high speed internet”( 3mbpsDSL) & then would get pissed off when I could not install their new camera(s), or had to explain that the installer was simply trying to get paid & never should have installed the product. [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
On the bandwidth, 10 will be slow, but it will work.

A good router will make sure you can get full bandwidth all over the house. Of course, that bandwidth will be split among all active devices.

I really like my netgear nighthawk. It was around 100 bucks, and can have multiple extenders to create a mesh network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The thing must people don’t understand though, is that they have to get a router that is a true “mesh” network.. otherwise, every extender you add simply steps down your bandwidth even more.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
my wife was grumpy for a week when explained that we couldn't get a "ring doorbell" type device due to bandwidth,,,,the lousy upload/download speeds we have preempted that
mine breathed a sigh of relief when she heard ours wouldn't support ring doorbells and cameras. , she thinks folks could watch us come and go from our house if they hacked us.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
my wife was grumpy for a week when explained that we couldn't get a "ring doorbell" type device due to bandwidth,,,,the lousy upload/download speeds we have preempted that

Yep. For several years, when I got an WO for the eastern/southeast part of the state, I could bet on it being a no-go.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
mine breathed a sigh of relief when she heard ours wouldn't support ring doorbells and cameras. , she thinks folks could watch us come and go from our house if they hacked us.

Ring had an issue a few years ago where if customers changed their password, it would not log out the existing sessions.. Other than that, the Ring & other alarm based cloud doorbell hasn’t been hacked yet.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

yes they can if your security isn't tight,,,

there is a google type "service" for the "internet of things",,,,

I have a lifetime subscription,,,,,,,, :party: :panic: o_O:D