Need steps to follow

jad

Four Pointer
trying to clear out about 1/4 acre spot that is from what I can tell mostly briars with some small trees, in hopes to put in a small food plot.
Have access to tractor with brush hog, but after making a few passes with brush hog I am thinking I need to kill off what is left?
If I need to spray what should i use I'm thinking something other then roundup?
Or can just keep cutting it as close as i can and maybe throw in some no till? Just afraid briers and what ever else was growing in there will come right back....thoughts?

Thanks

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Is it catbriers or blackberry? If it is only 1/4 ac. you will do more good all around to just let it come back and mow every third year. If the sweetgums, maples and pines try to get too big the second year get them with a brushcutter or bushaxe. You will do more good for everything, deer, turkey and small game by leaving it.

jad

Four Pointer
no blackberry just the kind of briers that get you all hung up when you try to walk through them
I don't like the idea of spraying and killing everything but wanted to try a food plot and was not sure if I had options. I see pictures of these luscious plots that look like a salad bar and say how hard can it be :confused: only kidding I know the work and $$$ that goes into some of them.
Just was wondering if I cut it low and maybe even try to disc it up some and throw some seed would it have a chance or will these briers just come back strong

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If you disk it you will just incorporate more seeds into the ground. If you want a nice food plot you will have to wait till the stuff that is already there begins to leaf out again and then spray. Generic roundup works for me. I have been working on getting some edge stuff going and have had to spray twice to make sure everything unwanted is dead before trying to plant. A soil test is a must. You will probably need to add a fair amount of lime as well. I have had very poor luck with food plots in my neck of the woods so have gone to trying to promote natural food sources.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I agree with Lee, lime and 10-10-10 would be a wise investment, disced into the soil before planting. We spray Crossbow and 2-4-D, I think the Crossbow takes care of "woody" stuff like the vines/briars.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bushog now.
Wait till late April and spray glyphosate and 2 4d
Lime
Disc once the vegetation and weedy growth dies back

Spray again after you see regeneration of weeds.
Plant

jad

Four Pointer
Thanks for the input..... two questions
so where can I buy the 2-4-D ?
After the second spraying how long do I need to wait before I plant?

Thanks again

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Thanks again

Make sure you read the labels. Especially the 2-4d when it comes to temp and sensitive crops.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Thanks again
You can get 2,4-D at Southern States or Tractor Supply. Wait at least 10 days after application.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
oh, and the smartest $20 you'll spend is buying The Southern Food Plot Manual by Ben Koerth and James Kroll