Need pro advice

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been using 10# power pro braid on my light spinning gear. I normally throw 1/8th-1/16th oz jigs. I’m having a real time with tangles as it’s cast. Everything is fine and fishing is good then bam. A nasty tangle comes flying off the spool.
no matter how I spool the reel. No matter how soft the cast.
I think the helicoptering of the bait might create twist and then I retrieve twisted line and as it builds a cast goes wrong.
what line are y’all using for light lures/jigs?

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
could be a number of things.
overfilling the spool will cause this everytime.
line twist when filling spool.
Most reels were not built for braid. Line tends to dig into itself if not laid on the reel correctly.

I love braid on saltwater gear but prefer mono on freshwater. Braid is just too small and fine in light weighs for my liking.

in no way shape or form a pro, but I'm very opinionated.😄

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Make sure you are flipping the bail by hand. A lot of modern spinning reels will "engage" by simply turning the handle. This puts twist in your line. If you are fishing out of a boat you can cut your lure off, then simply let out all the line as you idle. Once it is all out pinch the line between 2 fingers and reel it back in. All the twist will work itself out.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use the same braid, same size on several reels with mostly tangle-free fishing. Options are: flip the bail by hand, buy a better reel, untangle the line periodically per @shotgunner, spool a little less line on to start, or deal with it until you cut off a certain amount and it works itself out naturally.

One thing I do with mono, that I don't normally have to do with braid, but it could help - when I spool a new rod, I have one of the boys grab the end and take off running across the yard, pulling all of the line off. Then I reel it back on, allowing it to remove twist by having a loose tag end - same as you would behind the boat.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I use the same braid, same size on several reels with mostly tangle-free fishing. Options are: flip the bail by hand, buy a better reel, untangle the line periodically per @shotgunner, spool a little less line on to start, or deal with it until you cut off a certain amount and it works itself out naturally.

One thing I do with mono, that I don't normally have to do with braid, but it could help - when I spool a new rod, I have one of the boys grab the end and take off running across the yard, pulling all of the line off. Then I reel it back on, allowing it to remove twist by having a loose tag end - same as you would behind the boat.
That’s funny. I do the same with my 6yr old.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of good opinions here and without seeing it it’s hard to diagnose exactly. On thing not mentioned is lure and line weight. Even with only 10lb test it’s hard to get good tension with a light lure and makes it prone to jump off the spool especially if it’s over spooled. Try dropping down to 8lb or 6lb and leave some room on the spool. With that light lure weight you’ll be able to cast further and have a little less line drag. I doubt you’ll see a difference in strength.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
One thing with all braids used on a spinning reel that will cause a wind knot is having a loop of line go over the upper lip of the spool. 99% of the time it happens as soon as the bail is flipped after the cast and you start retrieving loose line with no tention on it. It will jump above the upper rim of the spool for a ⅓ or ½ rotation of the bail. If you dont catch it, guaranteed wind knot in the next couple of casts.
IME, the more course the braid is the more prone it is to happening. With the 8 strand braids it happens less to me than with the 4 strand courser braids...fww

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
One thing with all braids used on a spinning reel that will cause a wind knot is having a loop of line go over the upper lip of the spool. 99% of the time it happens as soon as the bail is flipped after the cast and you start retrieving loose line with no tention on it. It will jump above the upper rim of the spool for a ⅓ or ½ rotation of the bail. If you dont catch it, guaranteed wind knot in the next couple of casts.
IME, the more course the braid is the more prone it is to happening. With the 8 strand braids it happens less to me than with the 4 strand courser braids...fww
That’s great advice.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Yea I use 10# braid because I can pull my jig off of debri. I do like to spoil my reels full. Mono backer.. with the full reel I can cast across the lake🤪.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Yea I use 10# braid because I can pull my jig off of debri. I do like to spoil my reels full. Mono backer.. with the full reel I can cast across the lake🤪.
When I put new line on mine I always leave a 1/8" gap between the line and the spool. A spinning reel filled to much will cause the line the "jump the spool" when you cast and thats usually when the tangles happen.

Like you, I like the braid because I can cast light jigs from from one county to the next. The only place I have found I don't like it is around concrete (bridges). That stuff seems to knick braid up real bad, worse then most rocky areas I fish.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I’ll go on record as saying I hate braid. If it’s all I had I’d probably stay home. BUT wanted to chime in because fishing lews reels I’ve lessened my wind knots with careful spooling. I grabbed two Okuma epixor xts this winter and holy cow!! Best line lay I’ve ever had regardless of price. All of the sudden no need for all the care.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Daiwa J-Braid 8 strand,,,been using for years best I have tried, all the suggestions above are correct and should help you out. Just get a better line.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I use 8 strand 20# braid on 1 of 7 spinning reels, that will have a flouro leader, sometimes a swivel.