Need Ocracoke Report

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
Anyone hunted Ocracoke this week or recently? A friend is hunting there next week and was wondering what to expect. You can pm me if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Clark

Ten Pointer
You can expect the two food trucks to be the best food on the island right now. It will also be dark (seriously dark if you get away from the village), and (clouds permitting) you can get some extraordinary views of the stars. Duckin is about like everywhere else ...

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You can expect the two food trucks to be the best food on the island right now. It will also be dark (seriously dark if you get away from the village), and (clouds permitting) you can get some extraordinary views of the stars. Duckin is about like everywhere else ...

So in other words a few birds but nothing to write home about.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Heading out there the last weekend of the season. Last year was horrible hunting but good fellowship the guys.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Eduardo's is shutting down permanently. Not sure if hes closed yet but its coming. Surely gonna miss the crab and shrimp burritos.

As far as the hunting, some buddies went on New Years eve and new years day and 6 guys limited out on both days from the curtain blinds.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Hunting should be decent if you have weather. More pintails will move that way as impoundments on main land get eaten out. Best scenario is to have a hard West or NorWest wind.

AB1620

Button Buck
^Not if he's hunting curtain blinds. A Hard West will blow water in and possibly make them not an option.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Eduardo's is shutting down permanently. Not sure if hes closed yet but its coming. Surely gonna miss the crab and shrimp burritos.

As far as the hunting, some buddies went on New Years eve and new years day and 6 guys limited out on both days from the curtain blinds.

I thought I saw where someone might be buying him out? Man, I even bought 2 fundraising t-shirts after he got flooded. One time I saw Eduardo hand a lady a fork when she complained that she didn't want something that came on her taco. It was hilarious.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I thought I saw where someone might be buying him out? Man, I even bought 2 fundraising t-shirts after he got flooded. One time I saw Eduardo hand a lady a fork when she complained that she didn't want something that came on her taco. It was hilarious.
Hopefully someone is keeping it up. The post i seen was from back before Christmas. As loved as he was someone may have stepped up and helped keep it open.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Dang He worked so hard to recover from the hurricane.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought two of the fundraising t-shirts as well.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Crisis averted. Apparently Eduardo is just closed temporarily while he's on vacation. The post he made, he used a Spanish to English translator and it made it sound like he was closing for good. Talk about lost in translation.

Anyways, good or bad Ocracoke is always a fun trip. Should be some birds around.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Southern Yankee is a Yankee sentenced to live in the land of sweet tea, okra and unsweet corn bread but fighting to bring youse guys good pizza, ziti, and NY cheesecake. :)

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Don't know what chicken stew is but ain't nothing north of the Mason-Dixon can hold a candle to a hot bowl of pintos heaped high with raw onions and some pan fried cornbread (cornbread isn't made in an oven) nor a big bowl of nanner puddin' made with real vanilla wafers and home meringue topping.

Now excuse the highjack........ it won't my fault. Back to duck hunting.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
My favorite thing from up Nawth is scrapple. As far as good pizza goes, Marabella's in Greenville is as good as any place I have tried up North. The owner is from Sicily. I've never liked fried cornbread, so I do like the yankee cornbread better.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know what chicken stew is but ain't nothing north of the Mason-Dixon can hold a candle to a hot bowl of pintos heaped high with raw onions and some pan fried cornbread (cornbread isn't made in an oven) nor a big bowl of nanner puddin' made with real vanilla wafers and home meringue topping.

Now excuse the highjack........ it won't my fault. Back to duck hunting.
https://www.yadkinripple.com/opinion/columns/1826/chicken-stews-a-yadkin-county-tradition

For non-Yadkin natives, this dish and event are often confusing. My friend Bill who grew up in Elkin, but in the Wilkes County section, said he did not grow up eating or going to chicken stews and once he figured out what a chicken stew is, he now avoids them at all cost.

“I can’t get too excited about an evening whose high point will be a bowl of hot, chicken-infused milk with a few saltines and maybe some hot sauce as a last desperate attempt at flavor,” Bill said. “Chicken stew, which is a misnomer, by the way, a stew is a thick, hearty, chunky soup, is pretty lame even as a first course. As a complete meal, it’s totally unacceptable. I am completely baffled by its popularity.”

Time to return to duck hunting.

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
What happened to gaffers? Is it closed?

Closed after the hurricane last year.

Anyone hunting down there this week?

We hunted NYE and NYD. Killed a handul of redheads out of each blind and a random gadwall. Didn't see as many birds in the area as usual and no shots at pintails. But it was a good time, as always.

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
Thanks for all the reports! My friends are hunting next week, Thursday & Friday. The weather forecast has changed and it appears its getting cold on Thursday with strong winds & precipitation. Looks like conditions might be changing for an epic hunt!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I like your optimism for “epic” but I haven’t seen one of those unless it’s a BIG weather changes in about 5-6 years. I hope, however, I’m wrong about your prognostication.

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
I like your optimism for “epic” but I haven’t seen one of those unless it’s a BIG weather changes in about 5-6 years. I hope, however, I’m wrong about your prognostication.
They are calling for snow on Friday. It very well could be epic. I like being optimistic!