Need Cabinet/Tile Work Done

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m purchasing a farm that has a nice old farm house on it and I’m looking to change up a few things. Anyone have a recommendation on having tile laid for flooring (approx 1000 sq ft) and doing some cabinet work (removing cabinets to make space for dish washer and finish work).

I’m in Eagle Springs, Moore County.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’m 100$ an hour. Let me know.
In all seriousness it’s pretty easy work.
Remove quarter round molding. Screw down cement board. Get laying the tile. A few small tools should have you ready to go.

YouTube is your friend. You can have it done in a few days depending on prep. Like removing what’s there.

I would go with the industrial rubber vinyl floor tiles. Thin and hold up to serious traffic. Not much involved.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witler

Eight Pointer
Sounds like a nice find, try Home Advisor, at no cost to you , you get quotes from 3 different contractors.
Being an old farm house check for spring/bounce in the floor structure to avoid future cracked grout joints.
Good luck.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yea, it's far from that currently.
That is what you run into with old/older houses. But usually can be repaired just takes time/money. If you were not so far away I know a couple guys that are good and trustworthy. But travel ain't their thing.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Be careful with old floors, pre 1980 or so. Many that I have remodeled had asbestos under tile or vinyl floors.

I know what you are saying, but he won't get enough exposure to hurt him unless you get one of those 100% asbestos layers. most of the asbestos is in the glue, then the tile. If it is a 9x9 tile, it's most likely positive.

Southern

Ten Pointer
There is no known safe exposure level according to CDC. Maybe you are right but I am not risking lung cancer for a floor.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You ever pull up on one with that hard siding that looks white now that was originally light green and was mostly 1'X2' and 1'X3' sheets you better get ready. That is asbestos also. It doesn't really bother me. In the next 20-40 years they are going to decide fiberglass is the new asbestos and label it the next scourge of the world.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
some of the plaster that was used in old buildings used asbestos as a binder. Lots of pipe insulation and caulks have it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
some of the plaster that was used in old buildings used asbestos as a binder. Lots of pipe insulation and caulks have it.
Yep, and brake shoes used to be full of it also. Sadly we used to just take an air hose and blow the dust off before starting to work on them.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok, updated information. I am going to carpet 3 rooms @ 500 sq ft, tile 3 rooms and a foyer at 600 sq ft (these floors are solid with good sub-floor beneath). I’m also going to rip out current cabinets and install new to compensate for appliances.

Any recommendations on folks who do this work would be appreciated.

Thanks!

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Ok, updated information. I am going to carpet 3 rooms @ 500 sq ft, tile 3 rooms and a foyer at 600 sq ft (these floors are solid with good sub-floor beneath). I’m also going to rip out current cabinets and install new to compensate for appliances.

Any recommendations on folks who do this work would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Upchurch flooring in Robbins for the floor,Good folks ,been in business a long time.

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Upchurch flooring in Robbins for the floor stuff,couple of cabinet guys in that area too.Good folks ,been in business a long time.
Second Upchurch dealt with them years ago, good crowd. Next choice is Rexs Flooring in Rockingham we have done several jobs for and with them. If you can wait a year we could help. lol

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Second Upchurch dealt with them years ago, good crowd. Next choice is Rexs Flooring in Rockingham we have done several jobs for and with them. If you can wait a year we could help. lol

I cant wait a year, but I'd love to give you the business.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Indeed! I didn't think this was a big enough job for a contractor to get involved, but I may be wrong. I'll give you a call Mark.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, Moore Co has a lot of qualified Tile/Carpet contractors. You should not have a problem getting that work done. Call I’d be glad to help, but you can likely handle this with a few phone calls. ?