Need Advice

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is there a Recurve bow that would be suitable for a kid. Something with a good riser that you can change the limbs and increase poundage as the kid grows and gets stronger?

Thanks
DCB

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yes there is but,,,

• depends on what you want to spend
  • depends on what age/size the "kid" is
  • depends on future requirements
at the cost of most "youth" bows, I have a variety of sizes handy for teaching - been cheaper for me to buy it that way then the replacement limb option

I expect you can get a replacement limb option. I'd start by ordering a catolog from 3Rivers https://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/bows

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This will be for my boys, or atleast one of them. My oldest has about a 27.5 draw length if I measured correctly.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
can you adjust the draw weight with different string length?

can you? possibly
is it advisable? not by ME! plus draw weight is more a factor of limb construction that string length. string length adjustments (by twisting ect) are best used for tiller adjustment only.

how old is the target son? or are you talking for both? If both, the Son with the 27.5 draw length can use an appropriate adult bow - go light on draw weight at first, way lighter than you think.

go to a trad shop to get them measured for draw length

Bud B.

Eight Pointer

No.

Your best bet would be to purchase a bow like in this link in lightweight limbs. Don't overbow your kid. My draw length, at just under 6' tall, is 27" on traditional bows.

How old is your oldest? How tall is he?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
them Samicks are nice bows,,,and I believe Godwin's in Raeford carries them (he is mostly a compound place though)

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No.

Your best bet would be to purchase a bow like in this link in lightweight limbs. Don't overbow your kid. My draw length, at just under 6' tall, is 27" on traditional bows.

How old is your oldest? How tall is he?
He's 13 and stands about 5'8" or 5'9" and is plenty big. However, he doesn't have the arm strength that I think he should have at this age.

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Form is way more important than ego, not that he would have one, But getting him a 20lb pull bow to work with at first would do him much more than going too heavy. Maybe the 25lb pull bow at the most. Get him some 700 spined arrows at 29" with 125gr heads. Get a stick-on rest, too. If he outgrows the limbs you buy at first, get with Lancaster for heavier ones.

If I were in your shoes, the above is exactly what I would do. Lancaster stands behind their products. Get you a recurve stringer, too. Stringing a bow properly is important. Unstring it when finished shooting for the day.

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Like the guys said, "NO". String length will define brace height. Proper brace height is important to bow tune.

I agree that Samicks are nice, I'd go with a Sage or Journey ( ? ~ $150 ?) and start with light ( ~ 20 lb) limbs. I shoot two Martin Sabers ( ~ $200 each), and they are very nice bows as well. I am an Archery Coach and a Certified Personal Trainer … and I would also suggest that your boys (EVERYBODY, actually) do pushups and pull-ups to build strength. It makes it so much more fun to shoot, and you can shoot longer without getting tired.

Another bit of advice … is there an archery club near you? I belong to one in Orange County (Wolf Ridge Archery). We are INEXPENSIVE and we have coaches and equipment that is free for use for all club members. They could try shooting different bows, different draw weights, etc … for a while until they decide what they like the best. THEN go out and buy one.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The big brown truck dropped off a box from Lancaster yesterday. I went with the Galaxy Bullseye due to Lancaster getting away from Samack. I got 2 risers and 3 sets of limbs. I might get me a set of 45# limbs later on.

Attachments

• F761B9D5-BCAE-4687-9EA8-8C2C7A79468C.jpeg
    F761B9D5-BCAE-4687-9EA8-8C2C7A79468C.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 27

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
A little coaching goes a long way with that recurve. You don’t want bad habits to stick.
Looks like fun. I’ve yet to fall for the traditional bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want free training (and TV time with your son) Youtube is your friend. Jimmy Blackmon and Arne Moe are two outstanding sources for form training. If you're more of a DVD kinda guy, pick up the series, "Masters of the Barebow". Tips and instruction from some of the finest traditional archers in the country..

Last edited:

KrisB

Ten Pointer
If you want free training (and TV time with your son) Youtube is your friend. Jimmy Blackmon and Arne Moe are two outstanding sources for form training. If you're more of a DVD kinda guy, pick up the series, "Masters of the Barebow". Tips and instruction from some of the finest traditional archers in the country..

I second that. Bud B. linked me to some Arne Moe YouTube videos that were excellent, along with a great bit by The Push about traditional bows and archery:

Tell your son that form is more important than accuracy right now. It takes a lot of dedication and practice, but once you get your form down and keep doing the same thing every time, you're halfway there. And the way to do that is starting with a lighter bow and then gradually moving up to higher pound limbs once he's ready. I started with a 22 lb Snake and now I'm shooting a 32 lb Matrix J. and working my way up to 40 lbs for deer season. I've learned so much from archery about patience, dedication, consistent practice, and not being too hard on yourself. You do get better at it with practice. Hope your son enjoys his new bow and archery. :)