Sticky Need a Tracking Dog 2023: CONTACTS

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't looked into that one, wife may look at me cross-eyed.
so bowhuntingrook,
when are you getting a raven to help in the finding?
In one of those "just when you think you have heard it all" deals I got a pic of a slob from the Midwest that was found with the help of a dog and a raven. That was new ground for me in terms of looking for one.
I think you may as well dive into that as well. :)
Thanks for your stories and I know the 30 hunters you will help are most grateful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
so bowhuntingrook,
when are you getting a raven to help in the finding?
In one of those "just when you think you have heard it all" deals I got a pic of a slob from the Midwest that was found with the help of a dog and a raven. That was new ground for me in terms of looking for one.
I think you may as well dive into that as well. :)
Thanks for your stories and I know the 30 hunters you will help are most grateful.

I have witnessed that with magpies in Canada while tracking wounded deer. Its amazing to watch how fast they can find one. There was a article in the north American whitetail magazine where David Morris shot a deer and couldn't recover it up there. His guide later spotted a group of magpies. He went in to investigate and those magpies had found David's deer after they had gave up on recovering him.

Another time while I was up there hunting with a friend. My friend had shot a buck. Him and the guide was tracking the deer in the snow. The guide spotted several magpies in a tree at a distance and told my friend his deer was under that tree. They continued tracking to that tree and jumped his buck up from under that tree. They finally got him but it required a back up shot to finish him. Those birds had sensed that blood and was basically flowing that deer.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Been doing some things over here with the dogs and trying to get the word out. Couple Logos, have shirts and hats being made, its been fun, you can go on my FB tracking page using link in signature and look at those soon. But more fun is I've been working with the new pup. His name is Dachs Vom Mountain Creek, Teckel. Provided is pictures of his parents, stud is in Germany, bitch was sent there and bred by him. Heres a 10 minute video of the dog at 12 weeks old, I think 150 yard or so track, hoof scent and 2 oz blood, I think aged 2-3 hours if remember right. Key at this age is not to test his nose but to get the pup to realize what I'm asking of him. It helps he is great bloodline with a lot of prey drive but at this age its all about distractions and him realizing what I want, this is why I provide the annoying amount of praise when he is right, and mark the trail to ensure he is right. Fast forward 2 minutes to start the track, the pup was distracted for 2 minutes due to neighbors barking dog, then struggles a little around the 6 min mark but actually crosses a cold creek with encouragement to continue the track.

[video]

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1548990540086.jpg
    FB_IMG_1548990540086.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 30
  • FB_IMG_1554944342059.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554944342059.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail(1).jpeg
    thumbnail(1).jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 30

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Dachs was able to pass his United Blood Trackers UBT 1 test on Friday at 4 months old. He earned the white ribbon, he was youngest who attempted. It's an 8oz 400-500 yard track with wound bed and (2) 90 degree turns. This one was aged 6+ hours.
0a6c3f1b6d8c63d61eb8134f317499e7.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe a 2019 thread should be started soon. Just in case some of the 2018 trackers are not doing it this year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
when the list is provided I would suggest you contact the person that you feel like you would call if you needed help.
Discuss your location, his availability, travel willingness, etc.
I think that is better than calling "cold" in a spell of anxiety when you are trying to find a wounded deer.
. Just my $.02.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I am new to this site and just wanted to thank some users. I had the pleasure of meeting bowhuntingrook and aya28ga this morning. I want to thank Jeff and Mitch for their time, effort, and willingness to help! Yesterday morning my son shot our target buck and although everything at the shot told me perfect hit, and knowing the way my son shoots, the sign and trail was saying otherwise. After an exhaustive search yesterday afternoon I contacted Mitch and Jeff and they agreed to meet this morning. Jeff's dog Cooper started at the site of the hit (with no sign) and within a few moments we were trying to keep up with him as he led us right into the woods where I suspected the buck went in and right down the trail of what little sign we did find yesterday. Cooper continued steady for at least 400-500 yds without hesitation in the pouring rain. If not for the property line and the consensus that we had a leg hit deer that we are fairly confident will not expire, Cooper probably would still be going. Unfortunately we did not find the deer but seeing Cooper work and leading us where the buck went gave me the reassurance of what I suspected from the sign we did have. This is the second time I was smart enough to call in a good tracking dog and both were successes as far as I'm concerned. I needed one in KY last year to find my target buck of 3 years when my arrow hit a little high and back. I am sold on a good tracking dog! If I ever have doubts about a hit in the future I'm backing out and calling a good dog in after the proper amount of time. I am convinced they will lead you to the deer if it's dead or at least give the best chance of finding it. I want to thank Jeff, Mitch, and Cooper again! I highly recommend giving them a call if needed. Outstanding Gentlemen!
This deer ended up living and KYBowhunter sent me pictures few weeks later.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This deer ended up living and KYBowhunter sent me pictures few weeks later.

Good to know that we were right and that deer survived. For future knowledge, did the pictures give any indication of where the deer was hit?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Mitch I wanna say it was the deer in post #50, but I was sent about 5 pictures last year of deer that lived and can't say for sure.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Here's one I tracked in September that survived but was killed tonight. It was crossbow shoulder shot as suspected, and alive like I stated when we ended the track. I'm happy for the guy. In the picture he is pointing to the first shot wound, healed up nice, never found that bolt.
406c2bd5f781218004dfdac40b411266.jpg

Reactions: Sp8

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Sorry if this is a naive question, but I'm hoping to get the opportunity to put one of these great dogs to work this season.

Is there a typical gift or gratuity hunters provide to the dog and their owner upon finding the deer?

Curious what is appropriate and wouldn't want to insult someone inadvertently.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry if this is a naive question, but I'm hoping to get the opportunity to put one of these great dogs to work this season.

Is there a typical gift or gratuity hunters provide to the dog and their owner upon finding the deer?

Curious what is appropriate and wouldn't want to insult someone inadvertently.
some have a fee that is discussed prior to them helping you. Some dont discuss a fee.
I can only say that IF you use one you'll be so impressed and grateful that you'll figure out an appropriate reward for their help.

BUT you really do not want to "get the opportunity to put one of these great dogs to work this season"
If you need them it's not a good feeling at all.
Flip side is when they find your deer it's really special.

I paid $100 a few years ago to Mr. Vaughn (RIP). He came on a Sunday worked a long time to find a runner who expired a long way from where he was arrowed.
Best money i have ever spent on the sport.

one more piece of advice. Contact your best bet in terms of location. Find out the specifics you may be concerned about and contact info, range they work etc. BEFORE you need them.

If you really need the service it could be a cluster trying to line some one up to help blindly with a dead deer in the woods.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
some have a fee that is discussed prior to them helping you. Some dont discuss a fee.
I can only say that IF you use one you'll be so impressed and grateful that you'll figure out an appropriate reward for their help.

BUT you really do not want to "get the opportunity to put one of these great dogs to work this season"
If you need them it's not a good feeling at all.
Flip side is when they find your deer it's really special.

I paid $100 a few years ago to Mr. Vaughn (RIP). He came on a Sunday worked a long time to find a runner who expired a long way from where he was arrowed.
Best money i have ever spent on the sport.

one more piece of advice. Contact your best bet in terms of location. Find out the specifics you may be concerned about and contact info, range they work etc. BEFORE you need them.

If you really need the service it could be a cluster trying to line some one up to help blindly with a dead deer in the woods.
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Hoping I can track on my own, but first season using a bow, so I'll be working on a steep learning curve to start. I was looking to get a couple contacts ahead of the season, so looks like I'm on the right tracks.
Thanks again.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
oldest school is spot on. You can always call a tracker, they usually are pretty good at understanding where the deer is shot, based on the deers reaction, wound beds, hair on ground, blood types, shot angle, arrow sign etc. I've helped couple people recover deer over the phone. Somewhere in this thread may be a post about sign of the hit and how long you should wait to track, all may very depending on meat spoilage or yotes.

Brink15

Four Pointer

UPDATE:

Brinkley Blood Tracking.
I have recently moved to Granville. So Granville, Wake, Durham County folks please keep me in mind. But also willing to drive to Joco if Im available.
919-980-1025

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
1 for 2. Tracked first buck 150 yards in field, one spot of blood, then 100 yards spotty blood until bumped deer in thicket last night, came back next day and tracked 250 more yards including crossing busy road where we continued on the other side. I believe a non-lethal muscle hit high shoulder with the sign on arrow and everything about the track, hunting from ground blind. This pic is another buck from this morning shot last night, 300 yards total, last 150 yards no blood, deer had been wallowing in a creek overnight likely septic from a high far back it that hit gut and exited bottom of belly,gut plugged exit.

Both deer in the opposite direction the hunter believed them to be, trust the dog!
IMG_20200913_095405.jpg

1418e183c26eb35d1ae79ffb85c9edfc.jpg

Last edited: