Sticky Need a Tracking Dog 2023: CONTACTS

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
I’m not being condescending. I’m being honest.

It’s not necessarily your question, more so you’re attitude that’s dumbass.
My attitude? Seriously? All I get on this forum is :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk replied from guys like you...actually the same few guys. I get sick of it so I call you out...and you love it...thats the sick part

My name is James Brittain I own Carolina Game Recovery and would like to be added to the list of trackers. I have been a member of UBT for years I am from Claremont NC 28610 area and I like to stay within a 90 miles circumference of home but I have done recoveries all over NC, SC, VA,Tenn,and Kentucky. I have worked for 18 years to come up with what I think is the ultimate game recovery dog it’s a mix of Weimaraner, English Lab, Redbone and Bloodhound. I have a degree in Animal Biology from NC State.IMG_0121.jpeg

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
My name is James Brittain I own Carolina Game Recovery and would like to be added to the list of trackers. I have been a member of UBT for years I am from Claremont NC 28610 area and I like to stay within a 90 miles circumference of home but I have done recoveries all over NC, SC, VA,Tenn,and Kentucky.
Welcome to the forum, when your able, message me your phone number, I can add you to THIS list. For the list on NC Blood Trailing Network on fb, all you'd need to do is either send pic of UBT certification, which you could send me or I'll see if an admin on NCBTN can look you up. Have a good season.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My name is James Brittain I own Carolina Game Recovery and would like to be added to the list of trackers. I have been a member of UBT for years I am from Claremont NC 28610 area and I like to stay within a 90 miles circumference of home but I have done recoveries all over NC, SC, VA,Tenn,and Kentucky. I have worked for 18 years to come up with what I think is the ultimate game recovery dog it’s a mix of Weimaraner, English Lab, Redbone and Bloodhound. I have a degree in Animal Biology from NC State.View attachment 122089
glad to hear about your services and welcome to the forum.

TSK

Button Buck
This link will take you to the NCBTN Tracker map that is updated for 2023, this is the NC Blood Trailing Networks trackers map. We are a group of individuals that enjoy tracking and have come together to network and help hunters. Although we cannot cover the whole state, we are hoping we can come together to recover even more animals then we did last year (245 tracks, 116 recoveries). This is way higher then average of 25% over the US. To use the map, click the link, find your county, now you can uncheck the layer for "county" to get less clutter and see the trackers in your area.

Remember there are a lot of scenarios in which a fatally hit deer is impossible to sight track, if you believe the deer may be dead, give a trained dog the opportunity to use his nose before you grid search or give up.

Trackers:
Mitch (aya28ga) 252-213-0037, Vance County

Jeff Annis (bowhuntingrook) 919-482-3002 Granville County and surrounding counties. *UBT 2 Certified.

Michael Young 704-701-6583
Cabarrus and surrounding counties

Ron Waters 919-921-0132, Wayne County and surrounding counties.

Matt Jones 704-418-5113, Cleveland County and surrounding counties.

Bryan Brinkley 919-980-1025, Granville County and surrounding counties including Johnston. *UBT 2 Certified.

Joshua Kennedy 919-671-4841, Wake County and surrounding counties.

Scott Schlaiss 706-26-8119, Union County and surrounding counties. *UBT 1 Certified.

Eric Johnson 704-243-9156 Union County and surrounding counties. *VP Certified.

Keith Childers 980-521-2409 Rowan and Cabarrus counties, UBT 1 certified

Chris Jones 910-835-6460 Richmond County and surrounding counties. *UBT 2 Certified.

Michael Gietl 757-328-0896 Bertie County and surrounding counties. *VP Certified.

Jake Comer 336-254-7143 Cumberland and surrounding counties, UBT 1 certified

Bryan Turney 336-413-0692 Stokes and surrounding counties, UBT 1 certified

Jason Matthews 336-2514871 Yadkin and surrounding counties, UBT 1 certified

Drake Slaughter 336-516-6978 Alamance County and surrounding counties

Matt MacGyver Bennett 423-413-3877 Martin County and surrounding counties.

James Brittain. 704-742-6969 Catawba County and surrounding counties. UBT certified

Bc George 843-513-3329 Iredell and surrounding counties. UBT 1 certified

John Yutzy 704-677-6711. Iredell and surrounding counties UBT 1 certified

Devin Blake. 631-487-9169. Cabarrus and surrounding counties UBT1 equivalent

Terry Troutman. 828-421-5246 Buncombe county and surrounding counties UBT Certified

## OUT OF STATE TRACKERS HELPING NC ##

Kenny Frost 423-483-4643 / 423-863-0909 Johnson City, TN, will help cover NW NC

Julio Morejon 864-901-7750 Henderson and Transylvania counties. If no one is available from NC. *UBT 1 Certified.

Bryan Goodwin 864-270-6549 Henderson and Transylvania counties. If no one is available from NC. *UBT 1 Certified.

Hunter Dutruch 225-347-9055 Buncombe and Henderson county, UBT 1 certified

Chuck Prichett 864-238-4448 Henderson and surrounding counties, UBT 1 certified

REMEMBER THIS
View attachment 19971

8cceb601c71ca7d6a763bf0d037e3173.jpg
How can I get my dog tested? I'd like to test him before the season starts.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
How can I get my dog tested? I'd like to test him before the season starts.
Scott Schlaiss on the tracking list, contact his phone number which is located on the tracking list, he's one of the only judges around.

EDIT: I just spoke to him, he said message him on fb. If you don't have fb, call him.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
80, sometimes I track the same one multiple times. Sometimes that's because we jumped them and I come back later. And sometimes it's because they got shot again.
Dang, that's a lot of work. Do you still hunt much or are you tracking all the time?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Used to hunt 50x a year, now I usually hunt a few times by myself if it's ideal conditions for a buck and my son can't go. I go as much as my son can, with busy schedule that might just be 5 times a year. He uses the crossbow I just use compound nowadays. The busiest tracking days are the best hunting days.

Now I am a tracker who hunts, not a hunter who tracks.

Cooper is a tracking dog who hunts, not a hunting dog that tracks.

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
Rook/experts - does rain completely eliminate the ability for your dogs to track? Debating whether to even take my kid in the morning given showers likely throughout the day. I realize a good shot should allow for a blood trail - but let's say a less than perfect mortal wound and rain washes away blood trail... are dogs still able to track? I'm assuming worst case scenario - mortal wound, blood trail washed away, deer travels a good distance before expiring. I realize rain doesn't help. But is it a deal breaker for a tracking dog?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Rook/experts - does rain completely eliminate the ability for your dogs to track? Debating whether to even take my kid in the morning given showers likely throughout the day. I realize a good shot should allow for a blood trail - but let's say a less than perfect mortal wound and rain washes away blood trail... are dogs still able to track? I'm assuming worst case scenario - mortal wound, blood trail washed away, deer travels a good distance before expiring. I realize rain doesn't help. But is it a deal breaker for a tracking dog?
Not a deal breaker at all. Dog would probably not be as accurate to the line because the scent is diluted, but all they need are microscopic particles. Dried scent is more concentrated but doesn't put off as much scent, the dog works little harder in dry conditions but is more accurate and tight to the line.

They aren't tracking blood in the more difficult tracks so much as disturbance in the ground, interdigital scent from hoof and every other fluid, skin or hair particle that falls off the deer.

Also, if blood has time to dry, it would take a ton of rain to wash dried blood away enough for a dog not to smell it.

Like with all tracks, when it gets difficult, less experienced dogs, less driven dogs, will choose something else to do especially at 12+ hours old, most before that. So yes, diluted lines are trackable for many dogs, but some will give up quicker then others because they have no successful experiences with the more difficult lines. So it's not just can they, it's will they track a difficult line at 8, 12, 16, 24+ hours old if they have no successful experiences doing it. Lots of dog "can", they were born with that nose, but for difficult lines, you need experience or it's a shot in the dark.

Last edited:

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
Makes sense. Thanks for sharing that. Writing this from a ground blind with the kid… in the rain.

K_Magner

Button Buck
Anyone with a tracking dog around Madison or buncombe county? Shot a deer out at Sandy mush. Tracked for 200 yards then it went cold and after a couple hours of not being able to find anymore blood I pulled out