Sticky Need a Tracking Dog 2023: CONTACTS

nchunter78

Six Pointer
Anyone have a number for someone who can track in Orange County? I am on mobile so search is not easy at the moment.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a message on NC Blood Trailing Network and was able to help a good guy in Franklin county. He could smell gut on the arrow so he did the right thing and backed out last night. We didn't have blood just the arrow and a direction of travel but the area was so thick the hunter couldn't watch the deer long. It took some working out but Cooper eventually got on the correct line, blood 50 or so yards from the hit site confirmed this. Other then that we really didn't see any blood. Track maybe was 200 yards just thick and tough to track through.IMG_20200916_123111.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Kids first archery buck, this deer went 500 yards, 300 yards after being jumped last night, blood stopped after being jumped until found today after full circle with multiple checks and nearly backtracked. This was a gut shot deer. Glad we could help.IMG951800~2.jpg

Last edited:

Brink15

Four Pointer
Boone went 1 for 2 tonight. First was a tough track. Knew it would be. Most likely a live deer. Second a gut shot early this morning. Got to it tonight. Jumped a live deer right at the hit sight. Always makes for a questionable start. Settled in and recovered it. Few hundred yards from the hit sight. Another good example of the hunter doing the right thing and backing out. Gut shots have little blood and the deer will travel good distances. Back out and their is a very high success rate with a dog!

Attachments

• 99B4E355-80D4-40A1-9B36-0CF6707D45A0.jpeg
    99B4E355-80D4-40A1-9B36-0CF6707D45A0.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 61
  • FD39CBC7-92F2-4A95-A73C-CCFB32E7C20B.jpeg
    FD39CBC7-92F2-4A95-A73C-CCFB32E7C20B.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 58

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Drake Slaughter and his dog tracked this one up until they jumped the deer in a cutover last night. Drake knew he worked today so he gave me a call. Thanks Drake for doing that. I met hunter about 9am so track is maybe 16 hours old, started from the hit site, the briars and bushes where really too thick to see Cooper half the time but he worked through it 75 yards past where deer was jumped in the direction they believed he ran. We eventually dropped steeply into a creek bottom with creek running from left to right. Cooper found it difficult to advance from here but I could tell his enthusiasm suggested the deer definitely dropped off this hill. When Cooper tracked down the creek bed and to the right and lost enthusiasm, it was so thick I picked him up and I took him back to where the deer dropped off the hill. He jumped a tree and went left then worked his way across this thick creek area, then up through tall grass into a field. He did not hesitate to go right in the field but was checking many trails that were crossing the trail while we were working. Other deer had been through this area last night as it had rained and fresh doe and fawn tracks easy to see. While walking the field about 70 yards down we noticed a fresh buck track, obvious a running deer right where Cooper was headed so we continued into another bottom of tall grass and creek. The deer was headed towards a highway that is actually behind in picture but 50 yards back Cooper had to cross a fence. We could not figure out if deer went left or right so we attempted the same again where he entered the tall grass. Now Cooper takes a left and goes under an old fence tracking 20 feet from interstate paralleling it, another 50 yards and we find the deer. At no time could we find blood although we looked for it. It was physically very tough, jumped deer can be difficult to find, entry in front of ham, picture shows exit.IMG_20200926_123355.jpg

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Great work Cooper. I'm sure the hunter was very appreciative.......... at least, he should have been. Other comments witheld.
Me and Cooper probably could use some antibiotics but we'll live. The hunter was very appreciative for good reason.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
That's Cabarrus and Rowan? NC Blood Trailing Network list is at top of this thread, first post. It's also on NC Blood Trailing Network on FB.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Tracked one in Roxboro this morning, deer stopped bleeding after 100 yards. Deer was hard quartering toward hunter and he hit low, as evidenced by cut white entry hair on broadhead, hunter in treestand. Me and Cooper know where his deer went but with zero blood to confirm, hunter won't have 100% closure until the deer shows up back on camera. Only reason I tracked was dark blood on trail which upon closer inspection was coagulated blood not liver. Arrow was nearly clean and liver coats an arrow, it should be painted red. It is possible to hit liver and on exit low fat cleans off arrow but not as clean as this one was, it never hit liver.

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tracked one in Roxboro this morning, deer stopped bleeding after 100 yards. Deer was hard quartering toward hunter and he hit low, as evidenced by cut white entry hair on broadhead, hunter in treestand. Me and Cooper know where his deer went but with zero blood to confirm, hunter won't have 100% closure until the deer shows up back on camera. Only reason I tracked was dark blood on trail which upon closer inspection was coagulated blood not liver. Arrow was nearly clean and liver coats an arrow, it should be painted red. It is possible to hit liver and on exit low fat cleans off arrow but not as clean as this one was, it never hit liver.

Appreciate your service and knowledge of shot placement. Hope I never need you but would love to see Cooper work.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Appreciate your service and knowledge of shot placement. Hope I never need you but would love to see Cooper work.
I'm hoping to film a track without edits, problem is 3 of 4 finds have been very difficult and have taken over an hour to complete. One thing about quartering toward bow shots is the lack of exit holes, especially when shooting from the ground and the difficulty in hitting both lungs. This leads to longer and more difficult sight tracking.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Drake Slaughter and his dog tracked this one up until they jumped the deer in a cutover last night. Drake knew he worked today so he gave me a call. Thanks Drake for doing that. I met hunter about 9am so track is maybe 16 hours old, started from the hit site, the briars and bushes where really too thick to see Cooper half the time but he worked through it 75 yards past where deer was jumped in the direction they believed he ran. We eventually dropped steeply into a creek bottom with creek running from left to right. Cooper found it difficult to advance from here but I could tell his enthusiasm suggested the deer definitely dropped off this hill. When Cooper tracked down the creek bed and to the right and lost enthusiasm, it was so thick I picked him up and I took him back to where the deer dropped off the hill. He jumped a tree and went left then worked his way across this thick creek area, then up through tall grass into a field. He did not hesitate to go right in the field but was checking many trails that were crossing the trail while we were working. Other deer had been through this area last night as it had rained and fresh doe and fawn tracks easy to see. While walking the field about 70 yards down we noticed a fresh buck track, obvious a running deer right where Cooper was headed so we continued into another bottom of tall grass and creek. The deer was headed towards a highway that is actually behind in picture but 50 yards back Cooper had to cross a fence. We could not figure out if deer went left or right so we attempted the same again where he entered the tall grass. Now Cooper takes a left and goes under an old fence tracking 20 feet from interstate paralleling it, another 50 yards and we find the deer. At no time could we find blood although we looked for it. It was physically very tough, jumped deer can be difficult to find, entry in front of ham, picture shows exit.View attachment 51085

Amazing recovery! Cooper's Best?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Cooper is a heck of a dog for sure and you ain't too shabby as the handler either. Trusting the dog when there is no blood and the hunter claims the deer went the other way is the hardest thing to do even when you know your dog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Amazing recovery! Cooper's Best?
The fence added a dilemma to it that probably added 10 minutes, basically the deer jumped it and immediately took a left but Cooper couldn't get through it so it stalled us, after restarted 50 yards back he got to fence, took a left and paralleled it until he could get under it at a running creek where he took left and continued to track confidently so before I got in the creek and got wet I looked in the direction he was headed between the interstate and fence and saw buck 20 yards ahead of him and he went right to it. This track took 2 hours. Another that comes to mind is a leg shot spike in a swamp a year or 2 ago. Leg shots live and get away quick but that spike gave up in that tough ass swamp before my dog would. It's hard to read your dog tracking when you have to help him through submerged layed over grass that's impossible to swim or gain traction in. Coop grabbed him while he was living and we dispatched him.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Cooper is a heck of a dog for sure and you ain't too shabby as the handler either. Trusting the dog when there is no blood and the hunter claims the deer went the other way is the hardest thing to do even when you know your dog.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Tracks like those they look and look for blood behind my dog with nothing, they've already given up by the time we find the deer. They start asking questions, how long does it usually take to find the deer? I say as long as it takes, I believe the deer is dead so as long as my dog is working independently without encouragement let's keep going. It's a great feeling when they go from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Good to see you.... hopefully them yankee maine bears don't smell much different then their southern cousins. ;) i look forward to seeing some successful bear tracks

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
bowhuntingrook have you seen any of Shane Simpsons “Callie chronicles” on YouTube some nice tracks and recoveries, might be something that you could relate to

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
bowhuntingrook have you seen any of Shane Simpsons “Callie chronicles” on YouTube some nice tracks and recoveries, might be something that you could relate to
Yes I do, he's friend on fb. I just ordered a chest harness for my GoPro that I'm gonna use to video some of my own. But I will in no way have as much shot placement analysis as he does. He puts out statistics on dog recovery percentages based on age of track as well as dog recovery percentages light arrow vs heavy arrow. I've also invested in the radio like he uses as you can see in my most recent big buck recovery picture. But it's very much almost exactly (except for his silly retractable leash) as what I do and how it is when I go, organized chaos at times. When I first started watching I was very surprised at how similar it felt since I'd never seen him track but have spent time around some of the best in the country. His style is a little different then mine but I have learned a few things from what he's doing. His dog has similar ques as mine as well but tends to air scent more.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
We were able to find a buck this morning. The buck was shot last night and tracked 300 yards, to a bedding area in a creek bottom where the hunter and his friend lost blood. Bryan Brinkley forwarded the track to me due to work obligations. It didn't sound good at all over the phone, although a pass through the arrow was nearly clean in the picture and hunter stated he didn't smell any gut. So I'm thinking a pass through muscle hit the way the blood ran out. It also rained hard last night and was still raining as we tracked. When I arrived, I smelled the arrow at the hit site and immediately smelled gut. Not good news for the hunter yesterday but good news as far as a recovery today. The hunter admitted he believed they'd had been pushing the deer, (300 yards on gut shot) this was obvious as Cooper took us quickly 300 yards to last blood and seemed to gain speed across a creek bottom (I believe last blood was close to where they pushed/jumped deer last night as Cooper's enthusiasm and bark suggested lots of scent just after last blood). After crossing the creek we went up the hill maybe 80 yards, some circling at the top and Cooper took a right and another 100 yards we were back at the creek but 100 yards down from original crossing. When Cooper lost it there I restarted at creek crossing and he did the same thing but came to creek 50 yards further. My next step was to restart at last blood in case that deer turned before the creek but I told hunter we should take the creek back in case the buck was in it. As we worked through the grass Cooper moved out ahead of us, I cannot see Cooper in the tall grass which is difficult to navigate but I come around the grass to find him chewing on the buck. This is where Cooper headed initially, about 100 yards downstream. The deer had been pushed out of the creek bottom and up the hill by the hunters and worked his way back down to it when they left. Congrats to the hunter and thanks Bryan.MVIMG_20201016_121440.jpgIMG_20201016_141412.jpg

Last edited: