Sticky Need a Tracking Dog 2023: CONTACTS

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Neck was pretty stiff, midnight is probably earliest it died, it was probably an hour or two after that. They called me when they stopped looking at 1030 pm, they were likely standing right where the deer would have been dead had they waited longer to track.. A gut shot for a tracker is usually a 10 hour wait to track minimum. Of course you have to take into account the meat, coyotes, ability to get close enough to deer and dispatch it at night, all those things when determining your plan.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
TRACK 2 Today, 10 hours old, hunter had tracked deer 25 yards and lost blood, gut was smell on arrow, deer walked away from the hit. Cooper carried momentum down the hill past last blood in the direction any person would think it ran, but at the bottom of that hill we lost confidence, I picked Cooper up after 20 + minutes in that bottom and restarted him, he immediately took a left at last blood and began tracking confidently, traversing that same hill but then back up it, crossing a field, entering the woods and back down another hill. At the bottom was some dangerous terrain around a deep ledged creek, Cooper wanted in that creek and eventually paralleled it until he found a crossing. On the other side I could see beds, I assumed buck bedding. We entered downstream from where Cooper wanted to jump from, but once down I had to work upstream just to find some roots to climb to get on the other side, I was able to get Cooper up there then climb. Now we weren't near where Cooper wanted to be so we worked that edge of the creek until Cooper eventually regained the trail of that deer, when I saw buzzards start flying I knew we found him. Deer went 300 yards to his bed with a liver/gut and 1 lung hit.

IMG_20201017_204638.jpgIMG_20201017_183841.jpg

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Cooper was 2/2 today. Both tracks took a lot of work. FIRST TRACK, started 2 pm at 21 hour mark, 100 yards of blood tracked by the hunter and his friend they searched last night and this morning all over in the direction deer ran. Cooper tracked to 20 yards before last blood and took a left onto a power line and then right headed down powerline, he worked that area but came back to last blood and took us straight, 150 yards further we came to a road and he did not show that he wanted to cross and was no longer tracking, more searching. I picked him up and restarted at first blood, this time he got to last blood and took another 90 degree left turn then right turn and headed down powerline. He tracked very confidently weaving through tall grass marsh for 400 yards, then took a left an dropped down canal bank and swam across, he then came back up to my side. At that time I smelled something bad and didn't know if it was that water or a deer but it was so thick I couldn't see anything so we went back out to powerline where he tracked lil further down, jumped a small creek where I could see buck tracks then left into a thicket. With a 30 foot lead, he was chewing on the deer for a whole minute before I could get to him. Big buck. Good guys.

IMG_20201017_152505.jpg502164DF-.jpg

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Cooper and me, ready to work before a non-recovery today. Cooper and I did 3.7 miles. I don't plan on doing that much searching on non-recoveries, we are trackers, we track every step the deer made from start to finish, we are not searchers, but the hunter was with me every step of the way and towards the end we covered some ground circling an area in an attempt to maybe wind something just in case the deer was dead. White entry and exit hair at hit site suggested it was way too low, pass through yes. Had the deer ever bed down they would have jumped it by searching too early. Oh well, we made some VA contacts in Virgilina. IMG_20201018_132936.jpg

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
This one could be long, I'm gonna sum it up. Got call dark blood tracked 300 yards after shot with 30-30. Ok, get there, 6 ft bushes in a cutover for 200 yards that he's already tracked, then I'm told his father in the other stand at 200 yards shot deer again which they tracked the last 100 yards in the woods before losing blood. He knows it was same deer, was a spike on the right, 3 pt on left. So we start at hit site which is what we do, it's our opportunity to show Cooper what deer we are tracking, problem is its 77 degrees and sunny, I don't want to burn my dog up for 300 yards through the thicket so I'm contemplating picking up and moving forward to last blood first time Cooper starts to circle in the cutover. Cooper found the deer 50 yards into the cutover. Now we are confused, hunter states when blood got difficult he skipped around it and started again where his dad shot the deer, but did it actually turn and head back to where it was shot? Answer is no.

We start a new track at the 200 yard mark where his dad said he shot and we track 100 yards to last blood. The track is tough and the blood looks like muscle, there are no beds, we work back and forth and restart, Cooper searches every side trail, his energy is lacking so in last ditch effort I push him past last blood in an effort to connect the little scent we had. Cooper's enthusiasm increased, he bouncing through tall grass, he's 30 ft from me and he barks in the thicket, then he's 4 feet from the buck who is now standing, but threatening to charge bending his antlers toward Cooper, he has that look on his face like, "is that a damn dachshund" I get Cooper back and draw my pistol. The deer is 15 feet from me, 5 ft from Cooper, I shuffle to the side in an attempt to not shoot over Cooper and to clear the bushes blocking him, and the buck lifts his head and has attention on me, I shoot while he attempts to move left, then again as he struggles through a creek bed. Once that deer hits flat clear trail he runs, just like a deer should. We wait 10 minutes to let deer calm down, I never saw a wound on the deer and the way he struggled we believe he was leg shot. Only staying bedded because the area was tough to walk in, and not spooked by the small dog. He ran the trail he came in on, we worked it enough to realize he's not dying anytime soon. This buck also was a spike on the right, 3 pt on left. WowIMG_20201023_224948.jpg

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This one could be long, I'm gonna sum it up. Got call dark blood tracked 300 yards after shot with 30-30. Ok, get there, 6 ft bushes in a cutover for 200 yards that he's already tracked, then I'm told his father in the other stand at 200 yards shot deer again which they tracked the last 100 yards in the woods before losing blood. He knows it was same deer, was a spike on the right, 3 pt on left. So we start at hit site which is what we do, it's our opportunity to show Cooper what deer we are tracking, problem is its 77 degrees and sunny, I don't want to burn my dog up for 300 yards through the thicket so I'm contemplating picking up and moving forward to last blood first time Cooper starts to circle in the cutover. Cooper found the deer 50 yards into the cutover. Now we are confused, hunter states when blood got difficult he skipped around it and started again where his dad shot the deer, but did it actually turn and head back to where it was shot? Answer is no.

We start a new track at the 200 yard mark where his dad said he shot and we track 100 yards to last blood. The track is tough and the blood looks like muscle, there are no beds, we work back and forth and restart, Cooper searches every side trail, his energy is lacking so in last ditch effort I push him past last blood in an effort to connect the little scent we had. Cooper's enthusiasm increased, he bouncing through tall grass, he's 30 ft from me and he barks in the thicket, then he's 4 feet from the buck who is now standing, but threatening to charge bending his antlers toward Cooper, he has that look on his face like, "is that a damn dachshund" I get Cooper back and draw my pistol. The deer is 15 feet from me, 5 ft from Cooper, I shuffle to the side in an attempt to not shoot over Cooper and to clear the bushes blocking him, and the buck lifts his head and has attention on me, I shoot while he attempts to move left, then again as he struggles through a creek bed. Once that deer hits flat clear trail he runs, just like a deer should. We wait 10 minutes to let deer calm down, I never saw a wound on the deer and the way he struggled we believe he was leg shot. Only staying bedded because the area was tough to walk in, and not spooked by the small dog. He ran the trail he came in on, we worked it enough to realize he's not dying anytime soon. This buck also was a spike on the right, 3 pt on left. WowView attachment 53057

That sounds like an exciting few moments!!!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
This hunter and buddies could only find 2 drops of dark blood 20 yards from the hit site. Shot with 243 about 4 hours prior to tracking. Multiple people had walked the acreage prior to me arriving, one spot of blood and direction of travel was all we had. With a storm coming in we felt the need to attempt the track. Deer probably ran 150 yards from where it was shoot, once Cooper locked in at the start, he made no mistakes. Deer had been quartering and hit was lung and liver.

View attachment 53167

Attachments

• PXL_20201025_020629931.jpg
    PXL_20201025_020629931.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This hunter and buddies could only find 2 drops of dark blood 20 yards from the hit site. Shot with 243 about 4 hours prior to tracking. Multiple people had walked the acreage prior to me arriving, one spot of blood and direction of travel was all we had. With a storm coming in we felt the need to attempt the track. Deer probably ran 150 yards from where it was shoot, once Cooper locked in at the start, he made no mistakes. Deer had been quartering and hit was lung and liver.

View attachment 53167
that's proof of how hard they can be to find. an albino 150 yds away? No one would not expect to find it.

ANOTHER great job.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
The guy who shot the albino is a member in the hunting club I belong to. We were all sick when we couldn't find that buck. Jeff and Cooper really came through for us. They came out late on a Saturday night, an hour from their house, and were on that deer in no time. I can't recommend them highly enough.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
1 for 2 today. Here's the recovery, a first buck for this kid. I think they walked by this buck looking last night. We had only 2 dark drops of blood at the hit site to go on. Me and Cooper showed up at the 21 hour mark. 1 restart and we were able to find it in a thicket. Was a quartering toward hunter gun shot that looked liver entry and gut exit. I don't know what is up with us and swamp tracks but it tough goin.

.PXL_20201103_182902129.jpg

Last edited:

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
^^^thanks bud^^^

So me and Cooper have been on some very tough tracks lately, at one point 7 tracks in last 6 days, here's a picture of the find from one of them. I will be going on another track this morning.
b570eddfec74d0fb05503e0f650f9bc0.jpg
dc5854f4d21dbf5ec2d96fb4dd292ac6.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
What counties do u cover

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
If anyone needs a track job done in the Hertford/Bertie/NOCO area I know a guy and he has just a good of dog as I have ever seen and has found plenty for friends and outfitters. The dog is the best blood tracking dog I have ever seen and if the deer is dead I am Shoot me a PM. I don't want to put his name and number out publicly without his permission.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Tracking (dog) Team list is updated for 2022. There are actually more people on this list then on the FB NC Blood Tracking network list because there are UBT test requirements for the FB list and not everyone does those. That being said, I cannot vouch for every tracking team but I will help you best I can to find a team if I cannot make your track. Thanks

Last edited:

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
There's another guy in Caldwell and surrounding counties that has a good dog and does a great job.

Andy Thomas 828-640-8422

Does anyone know if Andy is still available for tracking if needed. If not, is there another tracker in the Caldwell/Rutherford counties area?

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
You could try calling him… bet if anyone would know, he would.

Did you seriously think I didn't think of that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I could, but since I don't actually need the service yet, figured I wouldn't bother him. Plus, I also dropped the hint to see if there were others in the area. My apologies for disturbing your sleep.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you seriously think I didn't think of that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I could, but since I don't actually need the service yet, figured I wouldn't bother him. Plus, I also dropped the hint to see if there were others in the area. My apologies for disturbing your sleep.
A smart person would make contact before they need the service and go ahead have all their ducks in a row. That way there’s no confusion or scrambling in the heat of the moment when you actually do need the service.

But that’s probably too much thinking for someone of your mental prowess.

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
A smart person would make contact before they need the service and go ahead have all their ducks in a row. That way there’s no confusion or scrambling in the heat of the moment when you actually do need the service.

But that’s probably too much thinking for someone of your mental prowess.
Smart ass number two

My reason for asking is to also see if there are more just in case he is not availbae one way or another.......but I really didnt expect much more then this from you two.

Rather than just say yes or no, or in your case....nothing at all would have been better.....both of you are part of the forum clown act.