Need a Tackleberry semi-local to Wendell

Hello Muzzleloader peeps!

I have been gifted a gently-used, well taken care of, 1987 Thompson/Center Arms, Tree Hawk, side lock, percussion cap, .50 black powder rifle. My problem is: I know exactly zero about muzzleloaders except that they don't like humidity/dampness. I am not from a hunting family and don't really have any hunting friends locally.

I am looking for someone (fairly local to Wendell / Wake County - or surrounding counties) who is knowledgeable about these type of guns; who is willing to teach me about it, what I need to buy by way of "ammo", etc., and a place to practice shooting. I am a hands on/visual learner. I would like to watch it being loaded and then do it myself as well as be able to shoot it a couple of times. I am sure my husband would like to learn as well. I've watched a couple of videos but I don't know the terminology for the parts and pieces so I'm a bit lost. It came with some parts and pieces but again...they are just strange objects in front of me that I don't know what to do with.

Anyone willing to assist? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wish you were closer but if you need any help online feel free to contact me anytime. I have been Muzzleloading since 1983 (First muzzleloader was .45 cal TC Hawkens) since then I have added 20+ MLs I'm a bit of a black powder nut. :)

You are still welcome to come up this way sometime. I can show you how to get going. Just bring what you have and I"ll have whatever you are missing.

Thank you, LastTombStone! Where are you again? I know you're north-ish of me but I don't remember where.

Wish you were closer but if you need any help online feel free to contact me anytime. I have been Muzzleloading since 1983 (First muzzleloader was .45 cal TC Hawkens) since then I have added 20+ MLs I'm a bit of a black powder nut. :)

Thanks CGF!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
May be a little far for some folks these days. I am at the VA line just off 96. I think Natebonebusta said it took him 1.75 hrs. to get here from Archer's Lodge. I can be in Bunn in an hour ten min. from here.

May be a little far for some folks these days. I am at the VA line just off 96. I think Natebonebusta said it took him 1.75 hrs. to get here from Archer's Lodge. I can be in Bunn in an hour ten min. from here.

I think you are about an hour and 15 minutes from us. I have already made plans with someone who is 2 hours away but after that if I have any other questions I'll give you a holler.

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
Amazonchick54, you are in luck!

The folks at the Lafayette Long Rifles Muzzleloading Club, located near Duncan off Hwy 42 will be happy to offer their range and members familiar with the T/C Treehawk. The public is always invited to join in the fun and advice offered on match days. Many of our members hunt with percussion and flint rifles and fowlers. There is no charge for the learning experience.

We usually get together on the fourth Saturday of the month from 9AM till 3PM. Last weekend, we had a three-day get together, shooting at iron silhouettes at 25, 50, and 100 yards. About a dozen new faces showed up from as far away as Wilson, Fayetteville, and Greensboro, plus four college students from NCSU.

Watching Dana (a young lady from NCSU) knock over the rams at 100 yards standing offhand, told me I need to do more practicing. The visitors were invited to take aim with a handmade flintlock longrifle on the 50 yard "pigs". You should have seen the smiles on them after pulling the trigger.

If you're on Facebook, look up the "Lafayette Long Rifles", join in, and download a map. If you're not, just go to Google Maps, and type in, "Raven Rock State Park Bridle Trails" on SR1418, River Road. Continue northwest from there until you get to Flintlock Lane. Turn off River Road onto Flintlock Lane and drive down the road to the end and you'll arrive in our parking lot. Our range is only open to guests on shooting match days. Club members only on other days.

Hope this helps,

Hope to see you there on February 22nd.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
NMLRA

David Ricketts, Jr, from Greensboro, firing his hand-built flintlock longrifle
RQ5A0772.jpg