Need a new Pick Up?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I just saw an ad for a 2019 Duramax High Country for $55,000. GM can go pound sand, no way they are adding 50k in value. That truck better float in the water and not rust.

Loved the Silverados until the fugly '19 half ton and now the ugly ass '20 HD.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I love inline diesels and to here it had a 10 speed,I was considering the I6 Duramax for a new truck. I was going to overlook the the ugly body then I find out it has a DPF. No thanks.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The prices are out of control on all pickups now

I wanted a little hunting truck and sticker shock is just too much new and newer used. I ended up just buying a 1999 Ford ranger last month, perfect little hunting trucks and easy on gas with the 4 cyl , parts can be bought for cheap online

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I was at a local Ford dealer for work a couple of weeks ago and noticed a row of really nice raptors. up to 80k on the sticker!! What they heck. They're nice. But not that nice. For that money it better come with one of the catch and release thread stars making sammiches in the kitchen!

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been to two places looking at used. Want to tell them to to go pound sand. Just out of control.

Not looking for a seconded mortgage.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
No thanks, I'll pass. When I was looking for a new truck a few years ago, I was floored at the prices, even of used trucks. I ended up buying a used super duty with gas engine. It was $20k less than the same make/model with a diesel. Dealer said "No one wants these big trucks with gas engines." I can a buy a metric ton of gas for $20k.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
No thanks, I'll pass. When I was looking for a new truck a few years ago, I was floored at the prices, even of used trucks. I ended up buying a used super duty with gas engine. It was $20k less than the same make/model with a diesel. Dealer said "No one wants these big trucks with gas engines." I can a buy a metric ton of gas for $20k.
I had diesel trucks for years .
Last truck was a Ram 2500 with gas. It gets about the same as most the diesel but I dont tow heavy as I was.
That said been very happy with my 2017 ram. Was able to get bumper to bumper factory life time warranty. Longest factory warranty was about 120k miles and cost a bunch extra.
That said with a 50k sticker they will deal. Would never dream of paying sticker price.
Happy I did not do diesel this go around. There are things good in diesel but come at high cost day to day and upfront.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If everybody drove diesels that actually needed diesels, price would come down because selling would cease compared to what it is currently. Jacklegs driving around jacked up 250’s and 2500’s and the biggest load they’ll ever see is if the dude likes fat girls.
I drive a duramax. Will never own another gas truck. We pulled our bumper pull stock trailer with my wife’s Tahoe to west TN to a goat sale. Constant gearing down and sucking gas. Took a tank and a half. Made the exact same trip with my truck and still had a quarter tank when I got back home. Plus, you never knew it was behind the truck. I haul my tractor and hay. Plus, I’ll borrow my neighbors gooseneck if either of my trailers aren’t big enough for whatever I’m needing to move. I got 125k on it, it’s paid for and I plan on driving it until it ain’t worth fixing whatever’s wrong with it.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Had a 2013 duramax if you want a heavy truck that handles and drives like a 1/2 ton truck they are hard to beat. Have a dodge 2500 diesel now. Was surprised it gets little better mpg than duramax did. Normal driving 19 to 20 on duramax 20.5 to 21.5 on the dodge

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
If you haggle enough you can get a Toyota tundra full size cab and a half sr5 4wd Wich comes with touch screen and backup camera for 32000 out the door..they are made in USA even though they are considered forien ...they are 5000 dollars cheaper than Ford or Chevy and 2 years from now will be worth 2000 more than a Ford or Chevy for resale because it's a toyota

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I agree. It depends on what you're hauling, but I went with gas when I bought mine new 2 years ago. My contractor who had always owned diesel bought the same exact truck. For the same reasons. And he tows heavy equipment. Up front cost on diesel is way higher, repair costs are way higher, diesel fuel higher, DEF, etc.

IMO, if you're hauling 10k or less, all of the additional costs aren't worth it. And that covers about 95% of users. Gas versions of today still have HD suspensions, 2.5" hitches rated for over 10k, and will tow great. Ford took all of the weight savings from the aluminum body a couple years ago and put it back into upgrades for the suspension. If you're hauling truly heavy loads over 10k, then diesel is the ticket, but that's a small % of the truck market.

On internet forums, everyone likes what they've got. I think the HD gas versions today are a lot better than their predecessors, and will tow considerably more than most think, with a lot less cost. I will say that there is a pervasive preference for diesel. The general public has it in their mind that if you want to tow a lawnmower with an F250, you've got to have a diesel. Resale will be considerably higher on the diesels for that reason alone.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you haggle enough you can get a Toyota tundra full size cab and a half sr5 4wd Wich comes with touch screen and backup camera for 32000 out the door..they are made in USA even though they are considered forien ...they are 5000 dollars cheaper than Ford or Chevy and 2 years from now will be worth 2000 more than a Ford or Chevy for resale because it's a toyota
Never seen them come down that much. That sou ds like a deal pending the packages it has.

Side note I went looking toyota tundra.
Gas tank way to small and no larger beds in the 4 door trucks. They also at the time lacked storage in the cab that all the others have under the seat or behind..
There MPG and small tank sized sucked if you ask me.

witler

Eight Pointer
100K, dang. Guess the worth of my '09 Duramax with 85k miles just went up.
At some point the poor ole dirt farmer will have to back to mule and wagon.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I agree. It depends on what you're hauling, but I went with gas when I bought mine new 2 years ago. My contractor who had always owned diesel bought the same exact truck. For the same reasons. And he tows heavy equipment. Up front cost on diesel is way higher, repair costs are way higher, diesel fuel higher, DEF, etc.

IMO, if you're hauling 10k or less, all of the additional costs aren't worth it. And that covers about 95% of users. Gas versions of today still have HD suspensions, 2.5" hitches rated for over 10k, and will tow great. Ford took all of the weight savings from the aluminum body a couple years ago and put it back into upgrades for the suspension. If you're hauling truly heavy loads over 10k, then diesel is the ticket, but that's a small % of the truck market.

On internet forums, everyone likes what they've got. I think the HD gas versions today are a lot better than their predecessors, and will tow considerably more than most think, with a lot less cost. I will say that there is a pervasive preference for diesel. The general public has it in their mind that if you want to tow a lawnmower with an F250, you've got to have a diesel. Resale will be considerably higher on the diesels for that reason alone.

Here’s the thing with towing. I had a 2500 gas before I got my diesel. When I pull a trailer, 80% of the time I’m pulling 250 miles plus. After having a HD gas and a diesel, gimme the diesel all day everyday. On the other hand, if I was just pulling it around town and <50 miles, I think you make good points.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Saw this at the farm show. 3500...not a dually. Interior was sweet. Back seats reclined some. I don't like plain white, but I do like this. If I win the lottery, this or very similar will be what I get.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
Sorry for my 2 cent's ..only needed to tow my Carolina skiff.. wanted 4wd .backup camera and Xtra cab ..just saying Toyota is cheaper than competition and still averages 17.3 mpg with 4.6 v8 and resale is way better

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
17.3 mpg with a 4.6 v8? What the heck? Are they that far behind on efficiency or having to cram that much gear ratio in the diff to make up for the lack of horses under the hood?

My 2007 Yukon gets that kind of gas mileage with a 5.3 v8 and 3.73 rear. What gives on the Toyota’s? Heck, my 97 with the old 350 can hang with that type of gas mileage. (Not really....maybe 16.5).

My problem with Toyota has always been the fact that they seem consistently smaller and underpowered....but don’t show any advantages they have made happen. Using a small engine and small power, I expect to see bigger on the mileage.

Some of the 2500 gassers at work with the (6.2 or 6.4) hemis get that kinda mileage.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Toyota has the technology to be better than that. As it stands, Ford, Chevy, and dodge all seem to have walked away in terms of fuel mileage. I don’t even know that Toyota can have a longevity claim either. All the makers are reliably hitting 200,000. 300k and 500k are not exceedingly rare.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I love inline diesels and to here it had a 10 speed,I was considering the I6 Duramax for a new truck. I was going to overlook the the ugly body then I find out it has a DPF. No thanks.
You talking about the smaller trucks with an I6 correct or are they headed to an I6 for the 2500 and 3500 HD?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
You talking about the smaller trucks with an I6 correct or are they headed to an I6 for the 2500 and 3500 HD?

Putting them in 1500s for the same prices as the 6.2 gasser. I was going to buy one as my current 1500 has been relegated to 100% farm truck. Then I read DPF, now I'm back to hemming and hawing on what I want.

The High Country I was talking about in my first post was a 2500. Second post is about the half ton. Sorry for confusion.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Putting them in 1500s for the same prices as the 6.2 gasser. I was going to buy one as my current 1500 has been relegated to 100% farm truck. Then I read DPF, now I'm back to hemming and hawing on what I want.

The High Country I was talking about in my first post was a 2500. Second post is about the half ton. Sorry for confusion.
Thats what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. There have been word for years they would go I6 in the big trucks. Just making sure.

Whats the latest word on the I6 1500. Was told dealers are returning deposits and pre order on them and they were to be at the dealer this month no to be pushed out to a 2020 model mid 2020... talk is they were running into problems.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Thats what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. There have been word for years they would go I6 in the big trucks. Just making sure.

Whats the latest word on the I6 1500. Was told dealers are returning deposits and pre order on them and they were to be at the dealer this month no to be pushed out to a 2020 model mid 2020... talk is they were running into problems.

You are correct It was EPA certification timeline problem. They are labeling the trucks as 2020 even though they will be put in 2019 trim. Still possibility of release this fall.