Need a new Pick Up?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What I really want to know is who is going to pay 80-100k for a truck and then squat the rear end 8" lower than the front?
Same people that pay 100k to 150k for a 5th wheel that wa t to have the largest trailer they can.....then they short cut not spending the money on air bags.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Might be the dumbest looking thing I've ever seen done to an otherwise perfectly good truck.

Gadget I was talking more of a modification not someone overloading the towing capacity, although they might be one and the same or at least related.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Might be the dumbest looking thing I've ever seen done to an otherwise perfectly good truck.

Gadget I was talking more of a modification not someone overloading the towing capacity, although they might be one and the same or at least related.
Yep I knew you were talking about the carolina squatters. ...

Wonder when they wall statt going after that for Inspections or the likes.
Not really safe thing to do.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
That's funny my 2017 f250 work truck averages 13 .1 mpg....and my buddy has a f 150 with the Ecoboost engine our last trip to Atlantic City it only averages 19.5... my tiny v8 is still 310 hp..and the 4.6 was plenty big when it was in Ford's a few years back....oh and my work truck in it's 65000 2 and a half year life has already been through a water pump 850 dollars and ac is currently not working..I just wish they made a 3/4 ton toyota

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That's funny my 2017 f250 work truck averages 13 .1 mpg....and my buddy has a f 150 with the Ecoboost engine our last trip to Atlantic City it only averages 19.5... my tiny v8 is still 310 hp..and the 4.6 was plenty big when it was in Ford's a few years back....oh and my work truck in it's 65000 2 and a half year life has already been through a water pump 850 dollars and ac is currently not working..I just wish they made a 3/4 ton toyota
So there is the problem. You do not compare apples to apples.
What motor is in the F250 work truck,.what rear gear and trans?
You are talking a 1/2 light duty to 2500. Also looking at different design and use.
You also need to account for driving type.
Then you compare the Toyota v8 and state it was used in fords..
Sorry there is a lot more to it then that.

On a side note? Why you want Toyota to build a 3/4 ton if the Tundra with a small v8 does everything you need?

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our trucks look like this 80% of the time in the summer. I love my diesel but the truth of the matter is my brothers 6.2L Gas F250 gets it done too. These trailers weigh around 15,000 lbs loaded.
bbdfbd37fe52d23a35c85a9b7ee07ae2.jpg
df16129082ef3b8a15f0d04247cc82b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
For a work truck hauling heavy loads and occasionally towing is essential but for a personal around town and towing my 28 foot skiff the 1/2 ton is just fine .I would have bought a Chevy or Ford but the comperably equiped Toyota was 4 to 6 thousand cheaper .after owning it for 2 years I'm glad I chose it over Ford or chevy even if price was the same

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yeah, I had one of the fords with the 4.6 engine in a work truck. It was anemic to say the least. It went almost 300k before major issues though.

The Toyota’s don’t seem to be the king or resale that they once were. I don’t think they have slipped. I believe the others have caught up.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Our trucks look like this 80% of the time in the summer. I love my diesel but the truth of the matter is my brothers 6.2L Gas F250 gets it done too. These trailers weigh around 15,000 lbs loaded.
bbdfbd37fe52d23a35c85a9b7ee07ae2.jpg
df16129082ef3b8a15f0d04247cc82b8.jpg

PM me with the strapping philosophy on those trailers. I’ve been around hay some but don’t know that I have seen it strapped as in the pictures. Does the stacking and tying in eliminate the need for others?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
PM me with the strapping philosophy on those trailers. I’ve been around hay some but don’t know that I have seen it strapped as in the pictures. Does the stacking and tying in eliminate the need for others?
One strap front to back down the length of the trailer and one across the front to keep wind from seperating the front end and pushing it out. Our hay is stacked tight and interlocked layer by layer and we stack a complete layer front to back before going up to the next layer until we get to the 6th layer. those trailers are 8 layers high. Most people dont pay attention to tightness while stacking and most stack it up in height as they go back down the trailer. Two fatal flaws if you need it to ride long distances as stacking it 3 or 4 high as you go back down the trailer makes the base top heavy and shifts a lot as you load the trailer in the field. I haul hay as far as 150 miles so i cant afford for it to not be stacked right. 28 years of refinement but I feel like our method is one of the best.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Occasionally a strap is needed om the very back if the trailer dont have ramps.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
Well not comparing apples to apples, but my wife’s 2018 Expedition which seats 7 comfortably, has tons of room and more features, gets on average better around town mileage and highway mileage then her prior highlander. That’s eco boost vs v6 Toyota. I see it in our gas bill and on trips. I’m sold on the technology because her highlander with captain seats in rear, sat 4 comfortably and had almost no storage space with the 3rd row up.
As for the prices, they are quite ridiculous, but way more reliable and safer then any other time in my car buying history of 30 years of driving.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
We ended up with a ford 2019 exp at work. Base model.
Sure is nice driving it. Seats could be better but they are base model.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s getting exceedingly hard to buy a bad truck. Very similar to guns these days. Seems that everyone is making good ones.

Toyota built their truck reputation in the old square bodies. Small trucks made to be knockarounds from the beginning. They weren’t made for towing. They have owned that market at times....except for the ford ranger. Rangers and Tacoma’s were in a league of their own in the small truck market. Nissan threw a few good punches in there as well. A few of the local farmers used to keep some of the Toyota’s but now I see they have switched to 1500s.

I think 18-22 mpg in a half ton truck is about where it is going to end.

I imagine the 4.6 Toyota is mated to a 4.10 rear or something similar. Running 6 cylinders and small v8s in trucks, it is hard to perform without bigger gears in the rear. The only way to get the same grunt is to turn higher rpms.

With all this said, the American half ton market ran for years on 250-275 hp.

I don’t know what it is with the newer trucks. They claim 300,350, even 400+ hp but I haven’t noticed much change in terms of driving and especially towing. I personally rarely tow more than 5,000 lbs and only a handful of times has it been in the 7500 or 10,000 lb range on a half ton. Just a lot of work being asked and it isn’t all that safe feeling.

double

Twelve Pointer
It’s getting exceedingly hard to buy a bad truck. Very similar to guns these days. Seems that everyone is making good ones.

Toyota built their truck reputation in the old square bodies. Small trucks made to be knockarounds from the beginning. They weren’t made for towing. They have owned that market at times....except for the ford ranger. Rangers and Tacoma’s were in a league of their own in the small truck market. Nissan threw a few good punches in there as well. A few of the local farmers used to keep some of the Toyota’s but now I see they have switched to 1500s.

I think 18-22 mpg in a half ton truck is about where it is going to end.

I imagine the 4.6 Toyota is mated to a 4.10 rear or something similar. Running 6 cylinders and small v8s in trucks, it is hard to perform without bigger gears in the rear. The only way to get the same grunt is to turn higher rpms.

With all this said, the American half ton market ran for years on 250-275 hp.

I don’t know what it is with the newer trucks. They claim 300,350, even 400+ hp but I haven’t noticed much change in terms of driving and especially towing. I personally rarely tow more than 5,000 lbs and only a handful of times has it been in the 7500 or 10,000 lb range on a half ton. Just a lot of work being asked and it isn’t all that safe feeling.

The power is amazingly different. Drive a 20 year old truck vs one today and you will be blown away at the power. Half tons today are the 3/4’s of 10-15 years ago. Trucks continue to get better and better as time goes on. We use to get 12mpg for 250hp. Now we get 20-24mpg with almost 400hp. New trucks are amazing expensive but amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I have been thinking about a new/er vehicle lately after putting some more $ into my '97 Dakota 4x4 that I have owned for
18 years. (tie rod end broke, ball joints and alignment which is something i couldn't do). Paid 10k $ the day i got it from a private owner. Lucky for me Durham county taxes me at about 2k$ value ( the cost of my headers to single 3" exhaust , plugs, wires,cap and new battery) It does have a slightly modified TB and roller rockers with a slight change in ratio ( a poor man's cam ) It is just about to turn 146k miles on the 5.2 liter which always starts and I can get 18mpg highway at best. I just replaced the power steering unit,$110 ? and lines a few months ago and the rear brake cylinders ($12 each) 2 weeks ago .... Some cursing going on but job done and I like doing it actually . Big problem is no AC the last couple years, but I lived thru it.
hmm, might have to get it a new set of tires and keep it another year or two...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The power is amazingly different. Drive a 20 year old truck vs one today and you will be blown away at the power. Half tons today are the 3/4’s of 10-15 years ago. Trucks continue to get better and better as time goes on. We use to get 12mpg for 250hp. Now we get 20-24mpg with almost 400hp. New trucks are amazing expensive but amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New trucks are mated to transmissions with a lot more gears than the 20 year old trucks. The highest hp I have is rated at 350hp. The other truck is factory rated at 265hp. I’ve never had them side by side....but the 265hp truck sure does seem to put you in the seat harder.

I guess the safety features and torque management takes a lot of the feel out of the newer trucks.

My work truck has a 5.7hemi and it feels really sporty until a trailer is attached.....then the mileage cuts to single digits and feels like a dog. Thank goodness everything has the tow/haul modes now.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know how people afford these new truck prices.

Just put $1500 into my 04 F150 (tires, front / rear brakes, master brake cylinder and a couple of other minor things).

Still cheaper than a monthly payment, and with 94K miles on it I plan on it lasting several more years.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
An ‘04 with less than 100k in miles is barely broke in

I had an ‘05,,,,have had an 09 and now have a 2014,,,all 150s,,, 800k in miles between them,,,

Keep on driving!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For under 10 grand I can drop a new engine and transmission into my 2003 Dodge Ram and get another 250K out of it. :LOL:

That's probably the route I'll be going in the future, too. Had to replace the transmission in my truck a couple of years ago, and since the body is in great shape I see no reason to drop 40K-plus (plus the insurance rate increase) on a new truck......

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought my 19 Ram in October. It was stickered for $50k. I bought it for $35k out the door. I would have bought an 18 Silverado as they had some good deals on them at the time, but to get the rebates you had to use GM financial - which couldn't touch my banks rate, almost double and made the payments more than we wanted to spend. I couldn't imagine paying any more than we did. It already almost gave my SO a heart attack. At the time when we bought it, we were going to refinance my Colorado, but the rates for new were better than the refinance rate and it worked out for us monthly to just go ahead and buy new. We had needed a bit more room as it was, so it made sense. But, I just can't fathom paying more than what we paid. Especially knowing they get scratched and torn up using them as... trucks.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ll stick with my 04 Silverado with 100k on it...at least until the gas prices go way up again and I can pick up a nice used one cheap....:)

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Im currently looking to buy a used pickup for work. Just want a halfton longbed full size, GM or Ford, with no extended cab, just a plain truck. Those are more rare now than you might think. Most beds are short, have crew cabs, and cost an arm and a leg.

Looked at a sticker price for one yesterday, a new one, halfton longbed 2wd and it was 32K.