Need a new Pick Up?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
One thing for you guys that say I will stick a new engine and trans in my X that has 200x miles on it.
You may want to look at insurance also.
Make sure you are covered.
You can take a $5k truck and add 20k to it. End of day under most insurance you will have a hard time collecting any money over the book value from yours or theirs if something happens.
I have seen that first hand.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My current personal truck is a 1997 Chevrolet. Body, frame, and interior are good. Drivetrain is good to my knowledge, but it’s running on 270,000 on original motor. Trans has been rebuilt and auxiliary cooler added. Insurance may value it at $5,000 but I doubt it. Selling it currently might bring $7500-$9,000....just depends on the market. Right now the square body chevys are seeing a surge in this area.

All this said, if I rebuild or put in a new motor....then I’m out $3,000-$4,000 and insurance wouldn’t value that at all. On the other hand.....if it goes 6-8 months, it has more than come out ahead of making payments.

As far as insurance goes, I imagine one wrecked within a week of a new purchase would be valued lower than what you could buy one for.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
All I want in a truck is A/C, heat, power steering and brakes, and a radio. They can keep the limp-wristed electric windows and butt warmers, space shuttle screens, and the obnoxious bells and whistles. The only option would be manual or automatic transmission. I bet if someone built a truck like that they couldn't keep one on the lot. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

timber

Twelve Pointer
Farm bureau insurance you can add replacement to policy If you total vehicle you get new one comparable to one you had instead of just a value on the one wrecked. I think it last 5 years once vehicle gets older it goes back to appraised value

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Farm bureau insurance you can add replacement to policy If you total vehicle you get new one comparable to one you had instead of just a value on the one wrecked. I think it last 5 years once vehicle gets older it goes back to appraised value

Most insurance companies operate the same way. You can insure a vehicle for any value you want, as long as you pay the premiums for it. I'm always amazed at the folks who total a vehicle and then "cry" that the insurance company won't give them enough to replace it. They didn't have a problem with paying the premiums for only the "book value", and now they want a windfal

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One thing for you guys that say I will stick a new engine and trans in my X that has 200x miles on it.
You may want to look at insurance also.
Make sure you are covered.
You can take a $5k truck and add 20k to it. End of day under most insurance you will have a hard time collecting any money over the book value from yours or theirs if something happens.
I have seen that first hand.

Thanks Gadget, I hadn't thought about that. When and if the time comes, I'll have to talk with my insurance company.......