Need a heart recipe

buzzcut29

I've been hearing of guys cooking the heart. I saved the most recent one out of this young buck. How do you guys prepare them?

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Simple is best. Slice thin, remove the valve tissue and saute in butter no more than medium rare. Salt & pepper and chow down.

robertc

Eight Pointer
I have ate it for years, battered and fried like tenderloin. Tenderize the cut with a meat mallet. Add a little Cracker Girl seasoning to flour. Dredge the meat in an egg wash, then in the flour to batter. Fry to a golden brown. Great on biscuit in the morning for breakfast.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Simple is best. Slice thin, remove the valve tissue and saute in butter no more than medium rare. Salt & pepper and chow down.

man knows of what he speaks,,,,,,,,,,only thing to add is "toast" bagel halves in the drippings and make ya a deer heart sandwich!! I love them,,,,,,,,,,

buzzcut29

I cleaned it up tonight. All the valves and what not out... Got them soaking in some lemon pepper marinade. Plan to fry them up tomorrow for dinner. Thanks again!

buzzcut29

I tried it tonight. I think my marinade was a bit too strong! I fried mine and while it was good and tender, I could really only taste the lemon pepper seasoning... I'll try it next time with the Italian dressing. It was differently tender!

buzzcut29

I'll try that next time. Meat was not gamey at all... The wife liked it... But I had to trick her into eating it... Need to kill another one and try something new... Can't believe I've let all those hearts go to waste before!

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
Yea I started eating them a couple of years ago. It's a different texture of meat for sure. I like the corned version. Easy to do but takes a week.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I tried it tonight. I think my marinade was a bit too strong! I fried mine and while it was good and tender, I could really only taste the lemon pepper seasoning... I'll try it next time with the Italian dressing. It was differently tender!

Got to be careful with lemon pepper

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I usually don't get the heart but when I do keeping it simple is best. This is pretty easy quick good eat.