Need a good scope...

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
...for a .22 rifle.
The gun is a fully re-worked, now reliable and accurate Remington 597.
The gun is to be used for squirrels and nothing else. Not a long ranger, just sitting in typical hardwood terrain with normal shots being 40ish yds and under.

Ive got some good scopes sitting around but the parallax isnt right, so Im looking at something with either an AO or side focus. No mil dots or hash markers, just crosshairs. Looking to keep it under $300.

Are the rimfire specific scopes a good choice or not ? Scopes change like women change clothes, google and youtube suggest 60 different models....what do you use or highly recommend ?
Thanks

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
The thing with a AO scope is if a squirrel is at 12 yds and you have it adjusted to 30 he’s going to be blurry or vice versa.
For strictly hunting I would go with a Rimfire scope with a fixed 50yd parallax.

My hunting 22 wears a deer scope with a fixed 100yd parallax and on 3-4x it doesn’t much matter.

Bushnell scopes for the price are hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We bought one of the rim fire scopes a few years back from cabelas. I think it was their pine ridge series or something with different knobs for different chambering sand bullet weights. I don’t know if any of that stuff works....but the scope is a keeper. I think you should be able to easily stay under $300. I like good glass but on a rifle as you mentioned....I just don’t see myself putting over $100 in the scope. Not a lot of low light squirrel hunting for me.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Probably not much help but I normally use fixed 4x or a 3-9 scope on my .22's. I like the older Japanese made bushnell or simmons scopes.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Leupold will set your scope up to whatever yardage you want for cheap.
I had a vxII 2-7 done years ago, I'm sure the custom shop still does that stuff.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Vortex has a couple of rimfire scopes that won't break the bank and have 50 yard parallax setting. The Crossfire 2 rimfire 2-7x32 and the Diamondback 2-7x35.

Leupold has the VX Freedom 2-7x33 and 3-9x40 which to my eyes appear brighter than the Vortex rimfire models.

Any of those should provide years of trouble free use.

<>< Fish

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Vortex has a couple of rimfire scopes that won't break the bank and have 50 yard parallax setting. The Crossfire 2 rimfire 2-7x32 and the Diamondback 2-7x35.

<>< Fish

I did look at the Diamondback 2-7x35 yesterday at my LGS.....may be just what Im looking for.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Whatever you get make sure it has click adjustments NOT friction type. A lot of the "rimfire" scopes will be friction type and don't adjust as positively as others.