need a fat slow 243 round

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
When I was shooting it I reloaded. Shot a nosler Partition 105 if I recall.
Did good on deer.

That said look at the nosler ammo, maybe even Hornady. I think they had a 104 or.105grn corelock

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I Googled ".243 100 grain ammo" and several places popped up that COULD have it.
Have ya already called local shops? or even non-local?

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Back in the 1970's there was a factory 105 grain load from somebody, but it did not do well and fell by the wayside. Bullet weights at the far extremes are seldom big sellers. Current manufacturers seem to have come to the conclusion that 95 grain is the sweet spot for .243 deer rounds. And of course 100 grain factory will always be available. Good luck on your search.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back in the 1970's there was a factory 105 grain load from somebody, but it did not do well and fell by the wayside. Bullet weights at the far extremes are seldom big sellers. Current manufacturers seem to have come to the conclusion that 95 grain is the sweet spot for .243 deer rounds. And of course 100 grain factory will always be available. Good luck on your search.

I have a Savage 99 in 243. The man who bought it after daddy traded it and sold it back to daddy, says that it likes a fat slow bullet. But of course, he was reloading. It used to shoot the Winchester 100 grains pretty good. But I can't get it to tighten back up for nothing. I've tried a few different ones with no luck.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
$15 for shipping, not happening.
Unfortunately, if you’re dead set on a 105 gr bullet and aren’t going to reload, $$$$ shipping cost is about your option.

Do you know anyone that reloads? If so, why not get the makings and have them work up some loads for you?

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a Savage 99 in 243. The man who bought it after daddy traded it and sold it back to daddy, says that it likes a fat slow bullet. But of course, he was reloading. It used to shoot the Winchester 100 grains pretty good. But I can't get it to tighten back up for nothing. I've tried a few different ones with no luck.
That's a sweet rifle. I know the other gentleman is probably correct, but I'd suggest trying a box of the Federal Fusion 95 grain. They are not expensive (about $20), and I've never seen a bad review.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
That's a sweet rifle. I know the other gentleman is probably correct, but I'd suggest trying a box of the Federal Fusion 95 grain. They are not expensive (about $20), and I've never seen a bad review.
Yep
We shoot Fusion in .243 and .30-06 and never had a deer fall further than 30yds

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
How tight? IMO just shoot a stock off the shelf heavy cor loc load.
In reality it should be 3-4” at 200yds

Plenty for deer. If it’s not printing groups within that maybe it’s just a 100yd gun.

Sounds like an awesome firearm. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Tried loading 105's for my Win 70 years ago and couldn't buy a decent group. Dropped down to 95 Noslers and they shoot fine.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have no idea why anyone would call them "fat". It is the same diameter. Would they just not be "heavy" for caliber? Please enlighten me here.
Fat equals heavy. That's all, and usually heavy is a little slower. Please excuse my termination.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Then you must not want them very bad. But if you order two or three boxes that is wiser shipping money spent In my opinion ,,and you don’t have to drive anywhere using gas or your time , which has value and a saving.
I know. It's just the thought of it.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I just spent some time searching for "heavy, fat' 243 caliber bullets and refreshing my memory on the death of the 6mm/244 Remington cartridge [due to the rifling twist rate/bullet weight relationship].
Looking at all current [and alot of older] 243 bullet profiles, I found that the current Sierra 100gr flat base bullet has as much bore contact as even the older 105 grain BT bullets [it and the 100gr Nosler SP are the "fattest"].
IMO any 100gr flat base 243 cartridge today [blue box Federal 100gr is one] is what you need.
I have been reloading since 1972 and have run into alot of tribal knowledge on it, I remember most of it.
As to your accuracy problem, just go over the rifle and make sure that your scope and its set up [tight screws] are not the problem, get some sandbags/lead sled and start again at the 50 yard range.
Shoot 3 shot groups at a large target with a couple of different 100gr bullets without adjusting the scope at all, letting the rifle cool for 15 minutes between groups.
This should let you know what cartridge brand that 99 shoots best.
If none do then look at 105gr cartridges/bullets.
Good luck.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Speer loaded a 105gr, I think and Midway still has info on the Speer bullet but it has been discontinued.
The new heavy 108, 110 and heavier are all too long to fit in your Savage 99 magazine if you could get someone to load some for you.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
That gun has a 1 in 10 twist rate. A 105 grain bullet will be longer to accommodate the weight. A super high performance load might push it faster than the rifling can stabilize it. If it doesn't shoot good the maybe try some lighter bullets or some Hornady Custom Lite ammo.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hadn't shoot the Hornady American Whitetails in it until Saturday. It's close enough for the 100 yard shot that I plan to use it for. And probably better if someone else was pulling the Triger.

Daddy's birthday falls on Thanksgiving again this year. It's my plan to bust one with it that morning. The last time I tried this, I got in a hurry, and didn't aim correctly and lost the dear. In the process of tracking it, I dropped my buddy's machete on my hand that required 4 stitches from the local doctor at the ER. Hopefully I'll make it work this year.

Thank you all for the information.

FYI, I got a riffle from ABBD that he got from Banjo, that little thing loves the Fusion bullet.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
That gun has a 1 in 10 twist rate. A 105 grain bullet will be longer to accommodate the weight. A super high performance load might push it faster than the rifling can stabilize it. If it doesn't shoot good the maybe try some lighter bullets or some Hornady Custom Lite ammo.
A 1 in 10" twist should stabilize any 243 caliber bullet but should like a 87-95gr bullet best. I know where several boxes of it are with 100gr bullets, Federal I think.. PM for info.
A little reloading manual history:
The death of the 244 Remington was caused by the original 1 in 12" twist rate that would not stabilize longer, heavier bullets. Remington changed the name to 6mm Remington and the rifling twist to 1 in 9" and then re-introduced it.
But the damage was done and sadly both are moribund now even though you can still buy 6mm Remington ammo.