Neat Garmin trick

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For you that aren't computer illiterate this is a pretty neat function. You can program your Garmin so that when it comes on it will display temporarily anything you want. It would be good if you lost your Alpha if an honest person found it. Here are the steps.
Power on Message Garmin Alpha
Want to personalize your alpha startup screen? Possibly help if your unit is ever lost?
1. Plug alpha into computer using furnished USB Cable
2. Open My computer
3. Open Garmin Alpha
4. Open Garmin File Folder
5. Double click setup
6. Double click startup
7. Find where it says type your message on the next line
a. Type message you want to appear on startup. (Name and phone number)
b. Go to file in top left and select save
c. Click the x in the top right corner
8. Click the back arrow in the top left corner of computer file explorer
9. Right click on garmin alpha and then select remove or eject.
10. Cycle Power on and off.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'll have to do that when I get home

need to send my alpha to get the screen fixed,,,,been wanting to wait till I "didn't need it" but looks like that will be a while,,,,may have to ask for a new one for Christmas!!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll have to do that when I get home

need to send my alpha to get the screen fixed,,,,been wanting to wait till I "didn't need it" but looks like that will be a while,,,,may have to ask for a new one for Christmas!!
Their turn around time is pretty darn quick. If you deal with them direct usually two weeks or less.

gregor187

Six Pointer
OK got both my units fixed with name, town ,and number,,,,,,Question,,,,Is there anyway to make that screen stay on longer at startup? And two, Is there any way to make the Letters Bigger ? If you loose unit and it is found it may be years before anyone notices that small writing and 1 second window it is there and gone....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not that I know of at this time but I suspect if there are enough requests garmin will put a patch in to change it.

gregor187

Six Pointer
I have noticed when you cut the alpha on from scratch (first time you are going to use it) That page stays up much longer and can be seen long enough to read it ..But I still wish you could make the letters bigger.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
For you that aren't computer illiterate this is a pretty neat function. You can program your Garmin so that when it comes on it will display temporarily anything you want. It would be good if you lost your Alpha if an honest person found it. Here are the steps.
Power on Message Garmin Alpha
Want to personalize your alpha startup screen? Possibly help if your unit is ever lost?
  1. Plug alpha into computer using furnished USB Cable
  2. Open My computer
  3. Open Garmin Alpha
  4. Open Garmin File Folder
  5. Double click setup
  6. Double click startup
  7. Find where it says type your message on the next line
a. Type message you want to appear on startup. (Name and phone number)
b. Go to file in top left and select save
c. Click the x in the top right corner
  1. Click the back arrow in the top left corner of computer file explorer
  2. Right click on garmin alpha and then select remove or eject.
  3. Cycle Power on and off.
Here's what I'm trying to figure out, how can I add my handheld to my friends like you would a collar. That way if I loose my handheld I can find it with his unit? Your supposed to be able to do this, my handheld would just take up one collar spot on his handheld.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

boomer

Twelve Pointer
How do you remove it. I am getting ready to sell my 100 and need to take it off my screen. Thanks

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Master reset does not remove it. You have to go in just like it tell you to in the instructions to add it. It will show your info you have on startup. Remove that info with your laptop or computer then follow directions just like you are adding it.

And for the ones that asked, the 200i is the same if you want to add it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^Apparently Garmin doesn’t know what ‘master reset’ means😂
Well a master reset doesn’t erase everything, it really just restores it to factory default. Lot of folks thinks it totally wipes one, it doesn’t.

gregor187

Six Pointer
Well a master reset doesn’t erase everything, it really just restores it to factory default. Lot of folks thinks it totally wipes one, it doesn’t.
Guys,,, anyone done this on 300 alpha yet,,,,, I am told it is the same but there is a copy and paste feature that has to be done,,
I work during business hours and cannot call garmin or outdoor for help til after 6 pm…… So checking to see if any of you had done it.
I had a 100 come back to me because i had it on that unit

gregor187

Six Pointer
refresh my memory if you will,,,i no longer have the computer i use to do this stuff.............do i need basecamp loaded to do this,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
refresh my memory if you will,,,i no longer have the computer i use to do this stuff.............do i need basecamp loaded to do this,
No, it is all explained in the OP. You do have to have a computer though.

Last edited:

gregor187

Six Pointer
No, it is all explained in the OP. You do have to have a computer though.
OK FRIENDS,,,,,,,, THIS WILL NOT WORK ON A ALPHA 300…..

It is a much different process for the 300…… Has many more steps..

Got it done but TONY at outdoor dog supply called Garmin and got it figured out… Alot of extra steps when you get to the download part of it…..

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
OK FRIENDS,,,,,,,, THIS WILL NOT WORK ON A ALPHA 300…..

It is a much different process for the 300…… Has many more steps..

Got it done but TONY at outdoor dog supply called Garmin and got it figured out… Alot of extra steps when you get to the download part of it…..
I have probably done 10-15 of them, 2 for myself and the rest for others in clubs adjacent to us. Not different steps I have a computer that stays in my camper just for garmin stuff. The last one I had done in Oct was a 200I boy wanted a 300 done all I did was change his name and address. Didn't change anything else and it went right through. Everyone I do I leave the previous setup in and just go back and put the new name and phone number and then run it.

gregor187

Six Pointer
I have probably done 10-15 of them, 2 for myself and the rest for others in clubs adjacent to us. Not different steps I have a computer that stays in my camper just for garmin stuff. The last one I had done in Oct was a 200I boy wanted a 300 done all I did was change his name and address. Didn't change anything else and it went right through. Everyone I do I leave the previous setup in and just go back and put the new name and phone number and then run it.
Would not load for me and outdoor dog and then a three way with garmin is all i can tell you…i bought three 300,s a week ago..