Near shore boat options

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
If y’all were in the market for a near shore boat for say 60k or less, what would you be looking at? My cousin is thinking seriously about a near shore boat and it’s out of my wheelhouse. He’s looking at something for 3-4 guys to get a few miles offshore for some trolling or bottom fishing. Not anything to get out to the Gulf Stream or look for marlin with, just hit some wrecks or troll for dolphin.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That is a hard question to answer.
What you wanting for power, and trailer.

I had a Key West 20' V and it did great. Ok with 3 but 4 fishing got tight.
2 was where it shine. Boat was 20k when I got it. They are pushing 40K or more.now.
I went 15 to 17 miles off all the time. Weather dependent.

That said you need to look at it backwards in a way. Find whst you want and need.
If you want hard mounted down riggers or outriggers then that will cut some of the boats that don't let you mount them easy..
But to start looking at the cost of the trailer in the 6000 to 8000 range if hou need a trailer, look at motor or motors in the tune of 12k to 25k each. So that gives you 25 to 35k for a boat. Lots of the boats you start finding do not include trailers for the beach areas and it gets over looked in the total cost along with motor upgrades to the next power range.

Stick to the upper limits of boat rating for HP. No less than 75 to 80 of rating.

Also look at load ratings for the boats. Many are inflated in a way. They give you a person rating that is equal to all being 125 to 150lb per person. They also do not factor in full loads for fishing fuel and motor.

This is a bad time to buy a boat now. Motors are hard to get, parts are limited.
Just me, if I did not find a smoking deal I would wait one year. By then the stuff will be sorted out and most will have a surplus. There will also be a bunch of boats on the market used. All the people that got them last year because of covid will be burned out or not needing them paying $$$ and sell them off.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
That is a hard question to answer.
What you wanting for power, and trailer.

I had a Key West 20' V and it did great. Ok with 3 but 4 fishing got tight.
2 was where it shine. Boat was 20k when I got it. They are pushing 40K or more.now.
I went 15 to 17 miles off all the time. Weather dependent.

That said you need to look at it backwards in a way. Find whst you want and need.
If you want hard mounted down riggers or outriggers then that will cut some of the boats that don't let you mount them easy..
But to start looking at the cost of the trailer in the 6000 to 8000 range if hou need a trailer, look at motor or motors in the tune of 12k to 25k each. So that gives you 25 to 35k for a boat. Lots of the boats you start finding do not include trailers for the beach areas and it gets over looked in the total cost along with motor upgrades to the next power range.

Stick to the upper limits of boat rating for HP. No less than 75 to 80 of rating.

Also look at load ratings for the boats. Many are inflated in a way. They give you a person rating that is equal to all being 125 to 150lb per person. They also do not factor in full loads for fishing fuel and motor.

This is a bad time to buy a boat now. Motors are hard to get, parts are limited.
Just me, if I did not find a smoking deal I would wait one year. By then the stuff will be sorted out and most will have a surplus. There will also be a bunch of boats on the market used. All the people that got them last year because of covid will be burned out or not needing them paying $$$ and sell them off.
We live a ways away from the beach, so a trailer would be a requirement. I’m already used to only making 28mph on calm water with a 50hp bass boat, so being the fastest thing on the water is pretty far down on the list. Enough power to be safe is all we’re really looking at unless there’s glaring benefits to a larger engine(s).
I sorta stumbled into my Tracker through an ex girlfriend, so I’ve never had to shop around for a boat before. I wasn’t aware that boats were commonly sold separate from trailers or motors. 😳 There’s still a ton of reading and research to be done yet on offshore fishing, so he’s got plenty of time for the market to settle down a bit. Would you be partial to looking at used from owners or new/used from dealerships when the time comes? He’s more or less given me a budget to stay within and wanted some info and opinions since he doesn’t have the free time currently to research for himself.
I’m not real familiar with all the different center console hulls out there other than Carolina Skiff and the one I rode in would beat your dentures out on calm lake water, so I very much appreciate all your info.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Agreed on the Parker. The 23 is a lot of boat. Not sure what a new on is costing currently but a 21 or 24 from sea ox/pair customs would be high on the list. Before prices got crazy, I thought guys were getting his 21 with a full transom in your price range. The Carolina style mod v is a very versatile boat

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Take a look at C hawk. Their 23 is a good riding boat. It's smaller than the Parker 23. It actually feels smaller than the Parker 21 due to the beam and freeboard. I remember the C hawks being the more economical of the bunch. My list would include the Parker, sea ox/pair, C hawk, maycraft, kencraft, and Jones Brothers.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I'd get up with Radcliffe boatworks and look at a Privateer 21. It can be built totally custom, and will handle more sea than you can. 60 grand won't come close to buying a 23 or 21ft Parker. Parker has sold out to Correct Craft boats. If I wasn't so tight, I'd have Radclife building me one.

mtnhunter280

Button Buck
Best all around boat is a bay boat.Capable of waterway,river and even ocean on good days.Fishing offshore in any boat in rough water is not fun and that is the point,to have fun.Boat hulls are like cars and even airplanes.A boat that was made in 2004 and a new model boat,year 2021 that uses the same hull is the same boat.The year makes no difference.My advice is get a good,sturdy used hull from a reputable company,repower,if necessary, and put the lateset and greatest electronics on it along with a good trolling motor and enjoy the boat.A 2004-2005 Triton 240 LTS,with a 300 Yamaha,trailer and new Garmin or similar electronics could be had for 40-60 k depending on the amount of upgrades maybe even 70k if the trailer,motor, electronics and trolling motor were all new with enough money left over to redo all the seats in new vinyl.That would be a new boat and every bit as good as a brand new one for a savings of 70k over a new one.
Yamaha recognized this several years ago and no longer label their outboards as year models.Boat builders would be smart to do the same thing.The only time the models change is when the model is replaced with a new model.Year to year means nothing so why label them.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I'd get up with Radcliffe boatworks and look at a Privateer 21. It can be built totally custom, and will handle more sea than you can. 60 grand won't come close to buying a 23 or 21ft Parker. Parker has sold out to Correct Craft boats. If I wasn't so tight, I'd have Radclife building me one.
If you are serious about a Privateer my buddy had made a business rebuilding them from the ground up. He has also purchased the seamark plant and will be adding his own boats to his line. Stroudcraft marine on facebook.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Best all around boat is a bay boat.Capable of waterway,river and even ocean on good days.Fishing offshore in any boat in rough water is not fun and that is the point,to have fun.Boat hulls are like cars and even airplanes.A boat that was made in 2004 and a new model boat,year 2021 that uses the same hull is the same boat.The year makes no difference...
..The only time the models change is when the model is replaced with a new model.Year to year means nothing so why label them.
I disagree with that.

There have been a lot of changes in boats over the years.
Maybe a brand or two may not have changed but the rest all have to meet new requirements from buyers.
Most have done away with wood, added more composite, better engineering, less weight, floatation foam has changed.... And the list goes on.

Just can not agree accross the board. Also fiberglass as it gets old can get more fragile.
Other things to think about is insurance. Many are hard to deal with on older boats getting any value out of them for the average small boat 30' and under.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
If you are serious about a Privateer my buddy had made a business rebuilding them from the ground up. He has also purchased the seamark plant and will be adding his own boats to his line. Stroudcraft marine on facebook.
I've seen several of his builds, they are sweet. The old Seamarks were good boats also. Being cheap, and having several boat projects in the yard keep me from buying also😂

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns

I looked at one of his 21 Privateers this past winter. Great looking work.

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
23’ Ceehawk, Privateer, Maycraft, or Parker but not in that order. A deep V would be a necessity for me. All of those will do exactly what you want to do, just depends on how much money you want to spend.

mhodge88

Button Buck
Anyone check out avid? Thinking about the 19fs. Looks like a rig that’ll work for most everything I’m into

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I picked up a 2019 sportsman 234 Tournament in February for exactly 60k with a yamaha sho 250 and 175 hours. It does everything I need it to do in shore and near shore.
Some words of caution though. yesterday I saw the same boat listed used for 95k. Insane, but used prices are up and new is almost non existent.
Don't plan on repowering either. Many if no all engines are close to a year out for orders.
Priority is boat manufactures and not individuals. That means if you can be patient and pick up a nice hull and spend the next 10-12 months rewiring and upgrading electronics, you may have a motor for next summer.