NCWRC puts out document on feeding deer

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Which northern state did they get that hedgerow picture from? Deer don't eat cedars in NC.

Which is another peeve of mine. Print articles in NC that discuss deer or hunting in NC and use pictures from states far away. It's deceitful. If you're gonna write about NC, pics need to be from NC too.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
feeding deer 24/7 365 has proven to keep them on my property, fat and happy for many years. I'll do what works at my place and you do what works at yours.

Until they make it illegal. Not sure why they would put this document out if they were not considering outlawing feeding and baiting. Feeding and baiting deer has been legal in NC since forever.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Until they make it illegal. Not sure why they would put this document out if they were not considering outlawing feeding and baiting. Feeding and baiting deer has been legal in NC since forever.
No worries for me my feeding isnt restricted to corn and all I will tell them is "normal agricultural practices"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If baiting for deer is outlawed, it will be even more of a money game like ducks/doves. Deer will still flock to the corn, it'll just be to those with money enough to plant a field of it or poachers.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you know exactly why they printed this.
we all do- setting the table for cwd :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
you know exactly why they printed this.
we all do- setting the table for cwd :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

So CWD is going to be their excuse to ban feeding and baiting?

Like in Virginia?

NC hunters won't cotton to any baiting or feeding ban.

I've never seen the NCWRC publicly criticize deer feeding until now.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So CWD is going to be their excuse to ban feeding and baiting?

Like in Virginia?

NC hunters won't cotton to any baiting or feeding ban.
well yeah on all your questions and statements.
but why do you want to stir up the diehard baiters over what might happen.
and dont say that isnt the intent. It's needless speculation on a hypothetical.
Folks need to be worrying about having enough freezer space right now. :)
Perfect weather and teh eastern ML opener should be the focus we share at this time.

when they find cwd we can bitch and discuss then.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'm just mystified at why the WRC put out this document now and giving folks a heads up.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Seems like it was somewhat focused on residential feeding. There was something on facechater a while back about residents of Badin NC being at odds about feeding. I imagine this is the case in many neighborhoods.

Deer can overcome their natural wariness around people when easy food is provided to them, especially near homes.

In residential settings this often leads to conflicts as unwilling neighbors are forced to endure expensive damage to gardens or landscaping from foraging deer, increased risk of hitting deer on the road, or even noise issues as deer learn to ignore barking dogs. Deer feed often attracts other wildlife such as raccoons, foxes, coyotes, and rodents, which may also be unwelcome visitors to you or your neighbors. You may be happy to attract a menagerie to your yard, but your neighbors may not

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Municipalities n NC can already prohibit feeding wildlife

Not sure about counties

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Can and will are two different things, especially when there is strong feelings by voters on both sides of the topic.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Even so very few municipalities have the resources to enforce a ban

I doubt any city or town in NC has banned wildlife feeding

The real problem is feeding and baiting bears

Last edited: