NCWRC migratory bird public comment

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Here’s your opportunity to voice your feelings on the upcoming proposed duck season before it goes to the commission for approval. I encourage all waterfowlers to take a few minutes of their time to do so, otherwise accept what is given.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Possibility of either a one scaup bag limit or a reduced two bag limit scaup season. I would not have a problem with a 20 day two bird bag limit at the end of the season.

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I like that option too, provided that’s what they’re proposing. It doesn’t make sense the way they stated it, guessing it was a mix up on their part.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I like that option too, provided that’s what they’re proposing. It doesn’t make sense the way they stated it, guessing it was a mix up on their part.

I agree. Without going back and reading it again I think it had two options. A one bird limit for the entire season or a one bird limit except for a two bird limit the last 20 days of the season. o_O
That can't be right?

However, if that is the case I will assume that the Commission will go with the one bird limit the entire season. Just saying...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I interpreted it the same way DE. It was like they were asking us hunters to voluntarily impose a restriction on ourselves. Well, I feel I can safely say the majority of hunters aren’t going to vote in a restricted bag limit ....

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Says 1 bird 60 days OR 60 days with 40 days of 1 bird and 20 days of 2 birds.

Probably stick the 20 day 2 bird portion in November HAHA

No, it specifically states in the comment section, item GB8, that the 20 days will be added to the end of the season (Jan 8-30).

I wrote lengthy comments in this and other sections that I’m interested in. Again I encourage others to do the same. You have until the 27th to do so, rules will adopted at their mid April meeting

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
I was just joking. If the scaup numbers are that low I would prefer the 60 day 1 bird limit b/c, ultimately, I care more about long term bird sustainability than the short term gain of an extra bird for 20 days in 1 season. That's just me.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I knew you were kid’n, just wanted to let those that didn’t know that there were options out there they could actually get involved with. Trying to motivate fowler’s to becoming a little more proactive that reactive.

This might surprise you but I also agree with the 60 day/1 bird season for all the reasons you stated. And yes, I love hunting divers and much as anyone and pursue them regularly. But it’s not rocket science that divers wintering in NC has been declining for years. Back in 2012, there was a 4 man limit and everyone whacked them. Never thought 7 years later you could hardly find a blackhead ...

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I had a feeling this would happen. Back a few years ago bluebills started mysteriously dying of natural causes.....I remember reading about a lake in Minnesota(as well as some other places) that was littered with 1000s of dead bluebills that just died out of the blue. Things have gone down hill ever since. Being a long time diver hunter I would rather not hunt than not have any bluebills to go after which is a major reason I haven’t hardly hunted at all the last 2 years. There really isn’t much of anything else that is worth hunting on the N.C. coast other than sea ducks and they too have been on the decline for some time thanks to all the “duck shooters” that just enjoy taking pictures and throwing them in the ditch. This will soon happen to scoters as well. We lost our 100+ day season for sea ducks, now it’s down to 60. Soon it will be less and less. I sure did enjoy the awesome sea duck hunts the second week of October that we used to have. We could kill good numbers of scorers 2-3 weeks before duck season ever came in, between the splits and after regular duck season went out for a few days and there were tons of them. All we have left are memories of the good times here in N.C. And I seriously doubt those good times will ever come back.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I had a feeling this would happen. Back a few years ago bluebills started mysteriously dying of natural causes.....I remember reading about a lake in Minnesota(as well as some other places) that was littered with 1000s of dead bluebills that just died out of the blue. Things have gone down hill ever since. Being a long time diver hunter I would rather not hunt than not have any bluebills to go after which is a major reason I haven’t hardly hunted at all the last 2 years. There really isn’t much of anything else that is worth hunting on the N.C. coast other than sea ducks and they too have been on the decline for some time thanks to all the “duck shooters” that just enjoy taking pictures and throwing them in the ditch. This will soon happen to scoters as well. We lost our 100+ day season for sea ducks, now it’s down to 60. Soon it will be less and less. I sure did enjoy the awesome sea duck hunts the second week of October that we used to have. We could kill good numbers of scorers 2-3 weeks before duck season ever came in, between the splits and after regular duck season went out for a few days and there were tons of them. All we have left are memories of the good times here in N.C. And I seriously doubt those good times will ever come back.
You have got to be the most negative person on the internet.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
I knew you were kid’n, just wanted to let those that didn’t know that there were options out there they could actually get involved with. Trying to motivate fowler’s to becoming a little more proactive that reactive.

This might surprise you but I also agree with the 60 day/1 bird season for all the reasons you stated. And yes, I love hunting divers and much as anyone and pursue them regularly. But it’s not rocket science that divers wintering in NC has been declining for years. Back in 2012, there was a 4 man limit and everyone whacked them. Never thought 7 years later you could hardly find a blackhead ...

Thanks for everything you are doing. I have also seen a steep decline in the area I hunt. Several years ago we had them coming in like crazy. Waves of them. I saw 1 flock last year, and it was surprisingly early. The rest were singles and doubles, with that happening few and far between. I'mm all for the birds, even if it's an outright moratorium.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer

You are aware that the 60 day seaduck season was for the entire Atlantic Flyway, not just NC dont you? Go ahead and quit going tho, one less person that I have to worry about social distancing from.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Hey fellows, just a reminder that the end of the evening on Friday (27th) is the last day they are accepting public input. Let them know how you feel! Interesting to hear what others want/feel about the proposals and what they actually would like to see.

FWIW, I noticed earlier this am that there was no way to log onto the public comment section. That glitch has now been resolved.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
You are aware that the 60 day seaduck season was for the entire Atlantic Flyway, not just NC dont you? Go ahead and quit going tho, one less person that I have to worry about social distancing from.

Yes very much aware. Not sure what that has to do with anything though.....

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
You have got to be the most negative person on the internet.

I put out facts and some how I am negative. How about realistic? There I fixed it for you. I am very realistic. The reality is that N.C. duck hunting absolutely sucks. I’m sorry that it’s negative. It is what it is.

la angler

Six Pointer
It does suck and the fact is a lot people have not experienced the good days when hunting was great so they think shooting a few ducks is an awesome hunt.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Ten percent of the hunters hold ninety percent of the ducks here in NC. Waterfowl hunting in our state is all about farming and habitat management. We do not have the big migration numbers like other states so you have to hold what comes down. It can be done but you need the right location, money and year round work. We winter ducks here so they can get imprinted. Public land and water gets too much pressure. Many NC duck hunters do not know what they are missing because they have never traveled and seen consistent public land hunting.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I look at it this way. I love to catch Blue Marlin. It cost around 2K after tips to charter a top 10 boat in the Outer Banks. You could easily spend 20k which is ten days fishing and catch a single blue marlin.

I can travel to Costa Rica for 5K and do a three day FAD trip and catch up to 20 Blue Marlins.

Same is true for hunting ducks. I love to hunt and fish here at home but you have to go to the game that you are targeting.