NCWRC Dog Hunting Study

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
A bit more pot stirring...

First deer hound of the season showed up at the house this morning. Collar removed (still had the hair ring around the neck). In their study I hope the WRC addresses the issue of dumping and abandoning hounds in rural communities.

I'll take it to the pound on Monday. :mad:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Maybe they will address the PETA freaks and do gooders picking up hunters dogs and taking them to adjacent states and releasing them with no collars. The good thing is more and more of them are getting caught ever year now and with the price of a dog and taking them across state lines they are charging them with felonies.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Maybe they will address the PETA freaks and do gooders picking up hunters dogs and taking them to adjacent states and releasing them with no collars. The good thing is more and more of them are getting caught ever year now and with the price of a dog and taking them across state lines they are charging them with felonies.

And let's not forget the few scoundrel dog "hunters" that dump the one's that don't make the cut. Shoot'em or take them to the pound, but don't dump them out to starve and give the PETA freaks more opportunities to make us all look bad.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And let's not forget the few scoundrel dog "hunters" that dump the one's that don't make the cut. Shoot'em or take them to the pound, but don't dump them out to starve and give the PETA freaks more opportunities to make us all look bad.
Yeah, I would say they would be in the same group with the still hunters that steal stands and cameras, Really not hunters at all.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
A bit more pot stirring...

First deer hound of the season showed up at the house this morning. Collar removed (still had the hair ring around the neck). In their study I hope the WRC addresses the issue of dumping and abandoning hounds in rural communities.

I'll take it to the pound on Monday. :mad:
I seriously doubt someone would keep a hound all year, just to dump it a month before the season. That said I wish ever one of the dog thieves or dumpers would be handed over to me. Nothing's makes more angry.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I seriously doubt someone would keep a hound all year, just to dump it a month before the season. That said I wish ever one of the dog thrives or dumpers would be handed over to me. Nothing's makes more angry.
Yeah, that defied logic. And people picking them up from the pound only to dump them if they don't perform is about a thing of the past. They chip them and sign contracts stating their intention to keep them. If they dump them and they scan them dumped they can prosecute them.

Reactions: RJ1

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Someone was running (training?) in the swamp behind our place last week before the storm. They come in from the other side so not sure who it was. We get two or three a season.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
In my opinion, with the growing population and fewer and fewer places to hunt, I don't see a bright future for hound hunting. I know a guy that lives near Raleigh that is a life long coon hunter. He told me when the two dogs he has now were gone they would be his last. He said he still owns 100 acres but because of housing developments around him he longer hunts his dogs on his land. I saw headlines today that the population of Asheville will soon pass 500.000 with a lot spilling over to the surrounding areas. I tell my local bear hunting friends to enjoy what they are doing now because their kids and grand kids probably won't. I am also afraid when we see a political shift in Raleigh that there will be a lot of things we will be unhappy with.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In my opinion, with the growing population and fewer and fewer places to hunt, I don't see a bright future for hound hunting. I know a guy that lives near Raleigh that is a life long coon hunter. He told me when the two dogs he has now were gone they would be his last. He said he still owns 100 acres but because of housing developments around him he longer hunts his dogs on his land. I saw headlines today that the population of Asheville will soon pass 500.000 with a lot spilling over to the surrounding areas. I tell my local bear hunting friends to enjoy what they are doing now because their kids and grand kids probably won't. I am also afraid when we see a political shift in Raleigh that there will be a lot of things we will be unhappy with.

Most of the bear hunting in WNC is on national forest service land. If they can keep the politics on their side they should be fine. Its dang tough hunting but its big country for those hounds to run. Now on the other hand most of the deer dog hunting is on private farm and paper land. That land is getting tighter and several land owners are no longer leasing to dog clubs. I suspect within a few years there will be no dog hunting for deer on gamelands, which I think is a shame. More and more deer doggers are going to fox pens and field trails. I stopped deer dogging for about 5 or 6 years and just recently started back. I almost didnt because I like many dog hunters wonder how much longer we have left. I suspect the coon hunters will be fine although we may have to learn how to find coons in pine trees. I heard it said at the South Carolina Sporting Dog dinner a few months ago that anyone who is a dog hunter today was born 40 years too late....lot of truth to that.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Most of the bear hunting in WNC is on national forest service land. If they can keep the politics on their side they should be fine. Its dang tough hunting but its big country for those hounds to run. Now on the other hand most of the deer dog hunting is on private farm and paper land. That land is getting tighter and several land owners are no longer leasing to dog clubs. I suspect within a few years there will be no dog hunting for deer on gamelands, which I think is a shame. More and more deer doggers are going to fox pens and field trails. I stopped deer dogging for about 5 or 6 years and just recently started back. I almost didnt because I like many dog hunters wonder how much longer we have left. I suspect the coon hunters will be fine although we may have to learn how to find coons in pine trees. I heard it said at the South Carolina Sporting Dog dinner a few months ago that anyone who is a dog hunter today was born 40 years too late....lot of truth to that.

We as a family of hound hunters (fox and bear) have done just the opposite land we own in deer dogging country we do not lease to still hunting clubs anymore, we only lease to 2 still hunting clubs now in dog hunting country and one of them when I get down there Tues. will be suspended from hunting for 2 weeks or I maybe even void their lease for shooting at a neighboring land owners champion bird dog it's all according to what the land owner wants and the minute any type of dog hunting outlawed we will void all our leases not matter were the land is located. Bottom line is if we can't hunt with hounds even on our own land nobody is going to hunt it.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
RJ, what do you foresee the paper companies in eastern NC doing as far as leasing to dog hunters in terms of a down the road outlook. Here in central NC several paper companies no longer lease to dog clubs. International, Red Mountain and Jordan will not lease to a dog club. I know Weyhauser will and they are probably one of the largest land owners in eastern NC. I did read where they stopped hound hunting on their land in Louisiana. My biggest fear is not the DNR stopping us from dogging but the large land owners no longer allowing it.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I used to be in the camp of no dog hunting until we started doing it. I love it, I just don't understand why people can't mind their own business when it comes to hunting. When we are hunting there are literally tards riding the roads with their cell phones calling law enforcement because we are hunting our land. I know nothing last forever and if the dog hunting ever gets outlawed, they are coming after still hunting next.

I heard something about it was all about money and Troxler was doing all he could to get the big outfitters in here. That way everyone would have to pay thousands of dollars to shoot deer. I was told this was part of the 2 buck rule as well. Well, I despise the 2 buck rule, bring back the hunters choice. I also hate the fact the government is getting so heavy into regulating the hunting and fishing it is almost a burden to do what you enjoy. I guess it will all be gone before long, then these tards can go back to complaining about deer / car collisions.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
RJ, what do you foresee the paper companies in eastern NC doing as far as leasing to dog hunters in terms of a down the road outlook. Here in central NC several paper companies no longer lease to dog clubs. International, Red Mountain and Jordan will not lease to a dog club. I know Weyhauser will and they are probably one of the largest land owners in eastern NC. I did read where they stopped hound hunting on their land in Louisiana. My biggest fear is not the DNR stopping us from dogging but the large land owners no longer allowing it.

I see Weyerhaeuser still leasing tracts to dog hunting clubs, they may have the clubs put in some buffer zones were the club cannot cast hound in them but can follow the hounds if they get in there because of problems with other landowners unless the clubs do it on their own, they do take in a fair amount of money from larger clubs. We (my family) are just not going to lease land to any group that doesn't support the way we hunt.We are not big deer hunters of any kind but we support all types of dog hunting, we have talked to other land owners about doing the same thing we are doing and would do.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Some of these areas down east are tough to still hunt in. Going to be hard for the paper companies to generate the same levels of revenue if dog hunting was stopped. I do believe hound hunters, especially deer hunters, being more regulated or clubs regulating ourselves. I have seen more of the later happening now. Some of us as hound hunters have seen a way to keep it alive. Animal rights groups along with growing liberal thinking, targeting hound hunting and hunters that would prefer to see it gone could be our worst demise. Those hunters need to realize they will only be next.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
Wildcat3-I have been involved for over 20 years fighting for hunters, and this is what I see happening on national forest lands here in WNC. The environmental groups are pushing for more wilderness, roadless areas, wilderness study areas and recreation areas where only approved activities would be allowed. Who would decide what activities are allowed? All this means that no active land management would be allowed. With the oaks and hickorys in the national forests at or past their prime mast bearing age, as they die out they are being replaced by maples and poplars that grow faster and offer little to the wildlife. So in the coming years, there will be little hard mast for the bears to eat in the national forests and that means even more bears in Asheville and the multi million dollar housing developments where hunters usually aren't too welcome. These environmental groups have plenty of members and are well-funded. If they do not get what they want then they will sue . As a member of the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Council we meet regularly with the USFS and have a voice in the management plan for the Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests on behalf of all hunters. My dad and uncle were coon and bear hunters. I was more in to bird dogs and beagles. Just recently, for the first time in my life, I don't have an active hunting dog. Over the years I have taken part in about all forms of dog hunting even a couple dog deer hunts down east. And enjoyed it all.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have heard nothing. I was checked by a GW in mid December and mentioned the study and he knew nothing about any meetings, other than the proposed regulations public hearings.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ive heard nothing as well. I try to keep a check on things like this involving any type of hound hunting.