NCWRC Dog Hunting Study

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
I wanted to give you all a heads up. This past Wednesday at the Big Game Committee meeting, there was an announcement made that we all need to be aware of and involved in.
After the new year, the NCWRC will conduct a state wide ( districts that allow dogs ) dog hunting study. This is being done at the request of the legislators in Raleigh.This will be similar to the recent bear study that was just completed ,where they will host public meetings in all districts. NOW more than ever , your participation and voice needs to be heard. More important than that , you need to realize that the upcoming season will be the ground work for statistics used in the study. Meaning - GIVE THEM NOTHING TO USE AGAINST US and let your actions only reflect positively on the sport. If there is a situation, handle it appropriately. Be proactive and avoid and issues when possible. They also want to work with us to understand our side and help to resolve some of the obstacles that we face. We do not want an all or nothing ultimatum. Police yourselves and each other. What you do today will determine what you can do tomorrow.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What are they claiming is the reason and what are they hoping to accomplish from the study?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would like to know also. WHY now?
My guess is alot of complaints over the years lead to this. I know last year Albemarle hunt club was targeted several times by the game wardens in Scotland county. Mess got ridiculous and annoying. They know that Albemarle hunt club is one of the best for that area.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was at the meeting and this is what was said; there was a county (they named it but I can't recall it) that was requesting a law and it was getting some traction. Then a number of other counties expressed interest in signing on with it. So instead of having the legislature's do it NCWRC is going to study and try to come up with a plan.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know alot of folks in Western Harnett county do not like the dog hunting. Dog hunting has caused some hard feelings around here with neighbors and fellow church members.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I think Granville, Halifax and Orange have all made news in the past few years with possible further restrictions on using dogs for deer.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Any NCWRC “plan” would have to be enacted into law by the legislature if one is recommended

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to wager on a permit system similar to Georgia coming out of this. Even the dog orgs have meet with legislators with ideas of a permit system monitored by a dog hunting commission, only to be shot down due to legal issues. Sad thing is I don't trust the NCWRC to be unbias, after what I know how meetings and drafting of the proposed laws in Richmond County were handled with Mr. Hoyle front and center. Specifically what he told me was being said and done, then finding out different from those involved directly from Richmond County. I was told that the NCWRC was not pushing the Georgia law and that proposed legislation was being drafted without influence by the NCWRC. Then I find out otherwise, from other stakeholders.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If there is a permit system and a minimum acreage requirement like Georgia, does this mean other counties and parts of counties now closed to using dogs, could be open to hunting deer with dogs?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Seems to me with a minimum acreage requirement and a permit requirement and other restrictions, using dogs could/should be legalized state wide

Never going to happen but I would have no problem with it

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seems to me with a minimum acreage requirement and a permit requirement and other restrictions, using dogs could/should be legalized state wide

Never going to happen but I would have no problem with it
Well since you don't hunt deer with dogs, and it is debatable if you do at all thankfully your input is minimal. There are reasons that dogging deer isn't real feasible in many portions of the state.

Prudent doggers aren't trying to rock the boat, they are just trying to hold on to what they have.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry at the very least there is no reason any county or part of county east of the so called "dog line" cannot be open to hunting deer with dogs if restrictions and a permit system are put in place.

If I were a dog hunter involved in this "plan" its a concession I would demand in return for further restrictions.

What you are saying is the deer dogging community should get nothing in return for further restrictions.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry at the very least there is no reason any county or part of county east of the so called "dog line" cannot be open to hunting deer with dogs if restrictions and a permit system are put in place.

If I were a dog hunter involved in this "plan" its a concession I would demand in return for further restrictions.

What you are saying is the deer dogging community should get nothing in return for further restrictions.
No what I am saying is you as usual have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, none, nada, zilch.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Nope. You are suggesting the deer dogging community just roll over and submit to more restrictions or prohibitions.

I don't have to know all the ins and outs of politically connected landowners in Granville County (who hate all dog hunters even the good ones) to know the ultimate aim is to completely out law the take of deer with dogs statewide.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope. You are suggesting the deer dogging community just roll over and submit to more restrictions or prohibitions.

I don't have to know all the ins and outs of politically connected landowners in Granville County (who hate all dog hunters even the good ones) to know the ultimate aim is to completely out law the take of deer with dogs statewide.
No as usual you are stirring the pot and licking the spoon and loving it as usual.

One nothing has been taken away from dog hunters yet, or even been proposed to. But you were eluding to IF something happened that possibility dog hunting for deer should be opened statewide. That would be one of the most asinine things that could happen.

rodman

Ten Pointer
No as usual you are stirring the pot and licking the spoon and loving it as usual.

One nothing has been taken away from dog hunters yet, or even been proposed to. But you were eluding to IF something happened that possibility dog hunting for deer should be opened statewide. That would be one of the most asinine things that could happen.
But it would be another pot to stir come fall of the year Fisher. That's the reason for wanting in all 100.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It's not just Granville. GW told me this past spring, he had more dog hunting complaint calls last hunting season, than the past 2 or 3 combined....

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Complaints, like the ones the NCWRC said they were going to create a system to track and verify. Like the ones in Warren County a few years back when gamelands were the target of dog hunting for deer regulation. One the the freedom of information act was used to expose and I think only one citation was verified. .....still no system to verify. I know of some land owners that complained about us setting on the right of way of a road beside land we lease. Only to have the land owner to later say he found one of our stands, which was actually on a still hunting clubs land. I have had several landowners admit to trespassing on our leases, I don't even think they realize what they said. Point is just, because someone has a complaint does not mean any law was broken. Having good relations with your neighbors is important.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That is why when I had dogs the last few years. I hunted in what is now the Northen Dismal....in 7 years there I had dogs get on state road twice....in the 20 years I had dogs, hunting there was the most relaxed I ever was. No worries about land owners or right of ways

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
That is why when I had dogs the last few years. I hunted in what is now the Northen Dismal....in 7 years there I had dogs get on state road twice....in the 20 years I had dogs, hunting there was the most relaxed I ever was. No worries about land owners or right of ways
I understand that is exactly the reason I hunt there now, for the most part.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So how does a permit system work for dog hunters on game land? I understand wanting to register each club and club members but I dont see how that will work on gameland unless you will have to register and purchase a permit specific to the gameland you plan to dog hunt.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think certain counties are gonna be on restrictions in the next 5 years. Counties like Harnett and Moore are gonna see restrictions. Clubs are gonna have to show that they are not deliberately running or hunting on land that they don't have permission . That is the biggest complaint from what I hear in Harnett and Moore. People turn their dogs out and surround a block knowing that they are not suppose to be on. Dog hunters are gonna have to control their hunts better in the next 5 years.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My guess it will become draw only. Probably group.
I could see it being something like the Francis Marion National Forest with dog days. A dog hunting license is also a likely, one that could be revoked if a person is causing issues.

Reactions: jug

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
At the least I see a minimum contiguous acreage requirement of at least 300 acres, with maybe an exception if you are the land owner. Changes are coming. On the flip side I think many of us that love the sport are very aware of the issues at hand and have tried to make concessions to keep that alive, without having to have the legislature get involved. I can honestly say that with the GPS/Training systems on the market today for the use with hunting dogs has done or doing wonders for the dog hunting community. I also know they are some that will continue to be outlaws, no matter what they are doing, hunting and life in general. Written permission laws work, with the Landowner Protection Act this is possible statewide. I think counties that require written permission to hunt even if the property is not posted is better. We have had this law in Nash County since the late 1980's and can say it does help. No, hunting from the right of way from most state roads, there are exceptions that I think are completely acceptable in the few very rural areas still in our state. I don't think a minimum distance from a right of way is an answer though. I would much rather have someone shooting from the edge of a right of way, than 50 yards or even 100 yards away but shot back toward the road. That goes for dog and still hunters alike. I just cringe when I see a stand with a lane cut toward the road, as much as I do when I see someone is standing in the middle of the road hunting.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

They’re losing ground (figuratively and literally) on areas it’s legal to do now. What sane person says “holy :donk:donk:donk:donk, our Passion and heritage is slowly getting taken away in the 1/3rd of the state it’s legal, here’s an idea, let’s try to bargain with’em and get access to the whole state!!!”.....................

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They’re losing ground (figuratively and literally) on areas it’s legal to do now. What sane person says “holy :donk:donk:donk:donk, our Passion and heritage is slowly getting taken away in the 1/3rd of the state it’s legal, here’s an idea, let’s try to bargain with’em and get access to the whole state!!!”.....................
That was exactly my point when I replied to him. Of course he was pot stirring I assume. Yet it still bewildered me how an adult or a hunter could even come up with his reply. Then it hit me, he didn't qualify for either.