NCWRC Big Game Committee proposes youth deer day

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most comments actually favored youth turkey week iirc

Judging by comments here opposition/support seems to be split east/west.
Like I said give the western part of the state to Tn, they already have a youth day.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry, keep forgetting that. :cool:

We could always deport him to Tenn so they could hear elk-elk-elk-elk-elk..........ad nauseam!

But now........watch him come back with another "elk thread" just to taunt......

Last edited:

Natural Flight Ryan

I don't think lot of people realize how slim the deer are in west and the shorter gun season, it would benefit a Kid to get a day or 2 to themselves there are lot of western NC deer hunters that go many days without seeing a deer give the kids a shot without the pressure I would rather see them get one than me any day

Then why not just take your youth on opening day? What's the difference?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

Western Gun doesn't open till Thanksgiving week already been pressure from Bow and 2 weeks of Blackpowder would be OK with me to see the kids get a early crack I always take into account the people that don't have access to Private ground and I see nothing wrong with giving them a early shot

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
Does anyone know if it is going to be a youth only day and adult hunters will lose a Saturday? Unlike the youth turkey and duck days, there are no currently closed Saturdays in the east from September 1 - January 1. In 4 month of a season, if you can't find a day to take a kid, then you don't really want to take one!

mtnbuck

Six Pointer
I think a youth day is appropriate for the western counties. I was at Game Lands management meeting this year and somebody proposed this idea. The youth day was wanted for the game land, not for private lands.

cklem

The difference is, by the time deer firearms season opens here, there have been a regiment of bear hunters in the woods for 2 1/2 months, with an Army of hounds, deer are scared to move.I'm not knocking bear hunters, just a true statement.I don't care either way, I have private land to hunt on, but for those with youngsters, it can be a tough ordeal to get a kid a shot at a deer during the regular firearms season in the far west mtn game lands. I know I have tried it, my son lost interest in deer hunting until I started paying a rediculous amout of money for a Ga lease, and outragous non res. license.He shot quite a few bucks, and some does in Ga. He now likes to go, but not as much as I would like, he got burned out hunting year after year, day after day, he has never seen a buck in the woods while hunting in NC. We have some great private land to hunt now, with good habitat, I think he will do ok now. But he would rather do something else than deer hunt our mtn game lands, that goes for all his friends too. we are one generation away from noone deer hunting on public land around here. One could argue this all they want, it is a true fact. There are not many folks my age that hunt game lands anymore around here, and I'm almost 40. My generation has never had many deer to hunt locally, most everyone I know hunts Ga. they don't even bother to hunt here, the ones that do hunt public land, like myself, have shot some really nice deer, but I can count on one hand how many I see on public land here in a season, that includes, bow, ML and firearms seasons combined.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
:hijack:
Ban dog hunting.
Open deer hunting the normal time, with any legal weapon, and close it the normal time or at least give us some cold weather hunting in Jan or Feb.

There we go......
:fishing:

fats

Four Pointer
Banning dog hunting doesn't have any thing to do with this thread.

I see no problem what so ever with the state having a youth only deer day.

cklem

:hijack:
Ban dog hunting.
Open deer hunting the normal time, with any legal weapon, and close it the normal time or at least give us some cold weather hunting in Jan or Feb.

There we go......
:fishing:

I would never support outlawing dog hunting for bear, I'm not much of a bear hunter, I wouldn't walk across my driveway to shoot a bear, those guys really love their dog hunting. I do however think the bear season vs firearms deer season is one sided, it seems the bear hunting takes priority over deer hunters, that bothers me, and alot of other folks. We don't want to take anything from them, but we are getting the best deer hunting times taken from us for bear hunting.It really sux. Wish they would leave deer season open until jan. 1. at least for ML.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would never support outlawing dog hunting for bear, I'm not much of a bear hunter, I wouldn't walk across my driveway to shoot a bear, those guys really love their dog hunting. I do however think the bear season vs firearms deer season is one sided, it seems the bear hunting takes priority over deer hunters, that bothers me, and alot of other folks. We don't want to take anything from them, but we are getting the best deer hunting times taken from us for bear hunting.It really sux. Wish they would leave deer season open until jan. 1. at least for ML.
I bear hunted for years but never killed but two. Never liked the taste of them so I wouldn't shoot them. I walked/crawled many a young hunter in to their first kill though.

The reason the bear hunters have a one sided advantage over some of the other hunters is there is strength in numbers. They stick together like glue. They have quite a bit of clout in Raleigh and when it comes time they fall in with the coon hunters and the squirrel (dog) hunters. They helped us to get the squirrel season extended when the Camo Coalition fought us tooth and nail. Deer hunters fight among themselves too much and finger point.

I may not agree with some of their stances but they helped us so you know where my allegiance will be unless they come up with something outlandish like the bowhunting association has before. I am not blind and I do stand on my own two feet, if they go crazy I'll not back them on something stupid.

cklem

I bear hunted for years but never killed but two. Never liked the taste of them so I wouldn't shoot them. I walked/crawled many a young hunter in to their first kill though.

The reason the bear hunters have a one sided advantage over some of the other hunters is there is strength in numbers. They stick together like glue. They have quite a bit of clout in Raleigh and when it comes time they fall in with the coon hunters and the squirrel (dog) hunters. They helped us to get the squirrel season extended when the Camo Coalition fought us tooth and nail. Deer hunters fight among themselves too much and finger point.

I may not agree with some of their stances but they helped us so you know where my allegiance will be unless they come up with something outlandish like the bowhunting association has before. I am not blind and I do stand on my own two feet, if they go crazy I'll not back them on something stupid.

My thoughts exactly, I am a coon hunter, I don't like shooting them either, but love to here my walker track and tree coons, I have bear hunted alot in my life too, and you are exactly correct, the bear hunters have strength in numbers. I would never support a dog hunting ban, if bear hunting with dogs could be stopped, so could coon hunting, squirell hunting, and bird hunting too.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My thoughts exactly, I am a coon hunter, I don't like shooting them either, but love to here my walker track and tree coons, I have bear hunted alot in my life too, and you are exactly correct, the bear hunters have strength in numbers. I would never support a dog hunting ban, if bear hunting with dogs could be stopped, so could coon hunting, squirell hunting, and bird hunting too.
That is the way I look at it and I fear it would go.